Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 02:20 PM

624 posts, read 1,309,678 times

Advertisements

I walked downtown in Heartland of America park last night and I walked over the railroad tracks near the river and I realized that there was more than enough space for two more tracks, and that inspired me to go into more detail and make a preliminary light rail route of my own on google maps. You've probably already seen my other maps for light rail in Omaha, but if tose were to happen, it would be way down the road, so I tried to be more realistic and make a route that could probably be here by 2020. I call it the Bellevue Metro Rail Red Line.

I believe this should be the preliminary light rail route in Omaha not because it would be the corridor with the most ridership available, but because it would be the cheapest to build. That is because there are miles of this route that run along freight railroad alignments, making it cheaper to acquire ROW for a light rail line. The route is about 14 miles long with 12 stations spaced between a mile and two miles apart with three park and ride locations. It runs from Eppley Airfield to Offutt Air Force Base in Bellevue. Alright, I'm going to stop talking and let you take a look for yourself.

Bellevue Metro Rail Detail - Google Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 06:48 PM

906 posts, read 1,810,552 times
Union Pacific has all that prime real estate running along the river downtown. Would they be willing to share? It would make for some beautiful views from the train. And it is practical because passenger rail often goes along rivers because they are flat. Not sure why you have the train running inland and down 13th street, though.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:34 PM

817 posts, read 1,769,903 times
Interesting idea, but why bypass nearly all of Bellevue to the east? Why not turn on to galvin rd and head to harvell dr. Take that down into old towne and then out on west mission to offutt afb? Would run through several major population centers and many more shopping and commercial districts. Or perhaps part of the light rail plan could use bus service to run out into the neighborhoods and back to a rail terminal?? I do love the idea for a martha street terminal though. Would be great for Sokol Auditoruim!

Old 11-02-2010, 09:06 PM

688 posts, read 1,247,354 times
IMO there is a definite need for a light rail system from Omaha to Lincoln- but Nebraskans LOVE their cars! There just is not a "Public Transportation" mentality- hmmm...might make for a good poll....

Old 11-02-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
Union Pacific has all that prime real estate running along the river downtown. Would they be willing to share? It would make for some beautiful views from the train. And it is practical because passenger rail often goes along rivers because they are flat. Not sure why you have the train running inland and down 13th street, though.
The purpose of a Light rail line is to take people from one part of the city to another, so I figure, it's better for the tracks to run somewhere where there is something, rather than nothing but something to look at. I agree, if a train were to run on the UP riverside tracks, it would be a beautiful ride, but I think it would be better saved for a commuter rail line, which has a purpose of bringing people from other towns to another town, such as Plattsmouth to Bellevue to Omaha. But for Bellevue alone, it is far too much part of the Omaha metro area to have it's own commuter rail. Bellevue to Eppley Airfield is only about a 25 minute LRT ride, that along it's route, would pick up more people and spur much more development with the 13th street alignment than a Bellevue commuter rail line that runs along the river. That's my reasoning for the 13th street alignment. So basically, the 13th street alignment takes you to and from many more places than the river alignment, which can only take you from Bellevue to Downtown Omaha and there are only so many, and in my opinion, not enough people that do that to justify the river alignment. Oh also, the beltway study light rail alternative uses 13th street, so I was poaching off of that too.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
Interesting idea, but why bypass nearly all of Bellevue to the east? Why not turn on to galvin rd and head to harvell dr. Take that down into old towne and then out on west mission to offutt afb? Would run through several major population centers and many more shopping and commercial districts. Or perhaps part of the light rail plan could use bus service to run out into the neighborhoods and back to a rail terminal?? I do love the idea for a martha street terminal though. Would be great for Sokol Auditoruim!
Yeah, there would no doubt need to be Bellevue service into the neighborhoods. Light rail would really intrude on the feel of Bellevue, so I feel it's better to keep the light rail on the edge of town and leave it to buses, or even a street car to feed to the rail terminals. That's how they do it in most other towns that have LRT. Use the LRT to cover larger distances, and then use other modes like bus and street car to service the stations and take LRT riders closer to the places they need to be. So in my dreams, buses and street cars would take people from Olde Town and the neighborhoods near, to the stations, then you can ride to Omaha, hop on another bus to get wherever you need to be here in town. Omaha lacking light rail is one of my thoughts as to why bus service isn't up to par. The way it is now, the buses take you to other buses and people aren't attracted to that, so less people ride. Route 2 Dodge is the back bone bus route in Omaha. Just imagine how many people would ride Metro if Dodge were serviced by light rail, and buses fed to it. It makes too much sense for Omaha and Nebraska leaders.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:55 PM

817 posts, read 1,769,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busguy2010 View Post
Route 2 Dodge is the back bone bus route in Omaha. Just imagine how many people would ride Metro if Dodge were serviced by light rail, and buses fed to it. It makes too much sense for Omaha and Nebraska leaders.
No doubt. Many times the number 2 is standing room only. They either need even longer buses () or switch to a double decker during peak hours. Though if light rail becomes the backbone on the #2 route that could fix the problem, except the limited number of stops it would make (I know people who take the #2 to go just 2-3 blocks. I even saw one elderly lady go just one block, though she might have been confused ).

Another problem light rail normally has is the cost. Getting on to the car normally runs around $3, and many believe mat charges too much already.

here is what Houston charges for their light rail system. (https://www.ridemetro.org/FareInfo/Default.aspx)
Fare Zone Chart

Routes --'normal Fare' 'Discounted Fare'
Local / METRORail -- $1.25 $0.60
Park & Ride Zone 1 -- $2.00 $1.00
Park & Ride Zone 2 -- $3.25 $1.60
Park & Ride Zone 3 -- $3.75 $1.85
Park & Ride Zone 4 -- $4.50 $2.25

Old 11-02-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
No doubt. Many times the number 2 is standing room only. They either need even longer buses () or switch to a double decker during peak hours. Though if light rail becomes the backbone on the #2 route that could fix the problem, except the limited number of stops it would make (I know people who take the #2 to go just 2-3 blocks. I even saw one elderly lady go just one block, though she might have been confused ).
I've thought of this as well. I believe they would still keep the 2 as a supplement to Dodge light rail. Something similar in KC is happening with their Troost MAX bus rapid transit line. It is meant to take the burden of high ridership from their route 25, which is the troost route, but they are still going to run the 25, with less frequent service, so people between the MAX stations can still catch a bus and get them to the places the MAX would go. With any Light rail to hit Omaha, I could see something similar happen.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:50 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marska View Post
IMO there is a definite need for a light rail system from Omaha to Lincoln- but Nebraskans LOVE their cars! There just is not a "Public Transportation" mentality- hmmm...might make for a good poll....
I've ridden the train in Washington, DC and St. Louis. I would have no issue with riding a train if it got me where I needed to go.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:14 PM

Anybody have an idea of who I could contact, and how I could contact them about this? I mean city planners, big shots, Mayor, etc. I'm not sure who would be interested to see this or who would just blow it off. I would think Suttle would be interested in it, but I don't know if i can, or how I can contact him directly. Anybody have any ideas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha