U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2010, 01:54 PM

18 posts, read 28,653 times

Advertisements

First off, hello to all. I've been lurking around here for months as I prepared to move from southern CA back to Omaha. I lived here about 18 years ago, but much has obviously changed since then. I've now been back here about 3 weeks and am ridiculously happy that Trader Joe's is here as it's one of the few things I really miss from CA.

I knew today would probably be a crowded mess, but hoped it would be better today than this weekend when people don't have to work. Sure enough, parking was horrendous. Once I found a spot, I got to the door and managed to snag the last cart outside. Then as I turned to go in, I was quite surprised to find a few people lined up outside just to get in. Now, this is a fairly large store, and packed as it was, there really wasn't any reason for people to be waiting to get in. After a minute, I got in and was greeted to live musical entertainment. I walked around a while, trying to note differences between the CA stores and this one. I couldn't get a great handle on what might be different due to the number of people inside, but from what I did see, it seemed as if everything I got at the CA stores was in stock here (with the exception of light vanilla soy milk). I think the frozen fish section might have been smaller.

Two buck chuck was flying off the shelves. I watched the workers bring quite a few cases over in the 10-15 minutes I was in there. I did note that it is not $1.99 here as it is in CA, but is $2.99. I was going to ask a worker why, but someone beat me to it and I overheard him say price of gas, etc. $1/bottle seems like quite a difference, but $2.99 is still a good price. I was glad to see the bananas are still a flat price of 19 cents each.

If long-term business evens out at even half of what I saw today, I imagine it won't be hard to justify another location in town for a second store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 02:52 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,144,201 times
I'm excited to check it out. . might not be today or this weekend to avoid the initial chaos. . But I'll be there within the next week I'm sure!

Old 11-12-2010, 02:55 PM

Oh and light vanilla soy milk? Sounds terrible.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:57 PM

18 posts, read 28,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheaton View Post
Oh and light vanilla soy milk? Sounds terrible.
It's far better than it sounds.. at least with cereal

Old 11-13-2010, 08:57 AM

906 posts, read 1,538,082 times
The mail reason for soy milk is an animal doesn't have to be pent up in a small cage their whole life, pumped up unnaturally with growth hormones. (I assume you're comparing soy milk with cow milk).

Old 11-14-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
The mail reason for soy milk is an animal doesn't have to be pent up in a small cage their whole life, pumped up unnaturally with growth hormones. (I assume you're comparing soy milk with cow milk).
They are only pent up for about 4 or 5 years before they are slaughtered for their meat.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:27 PM

175 posts, read 389,878 times
I went on Tuesday and it was packed, I was hoping it wouldn't be so busy. I found a few things there that made me happy but it seems their prices are just a little more than a regular store.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheO! View Post
I went on Tuesday and it was packed, I was hoping it wouldn't be so busy. I found a few things there that made me happy but it seems their prices are just a little more than a regular store.
Yeah, the idea isn't cheap per se. It's getting natural, organic types of food at prices that are more affordable, or less than say Whole Foods prices for instance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or