U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 10:06 AM

236 posts, read 559,626 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am booking a trip to come visit your wonderful city, just because for some unexplained reason have always wanted to go there.

Can anyone recommend anything interesting to do that is unique to Omaha / Nebraska in terms of dining, entertainment and sight seeing?

I am originally from Toronto and currently live in Las Vegas, so not interested in your 'run of the mill' musicals/ shows. Been there, done that.

Mind you, ANY suggestions would be mucho appreciated!!!

Thanks guys,

RM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 10:24 AM

2,763 posts, read 4,676,739 times
durham western heritage museum is a neat place to see

Joclyn Art museum is also very nice.

Downtown omaha "old market" is great for shopping and dining.

Depending on when you come, the zoo here is one of the best in the nation.

Those are the ones off the top of my head. Knowing what time of year you are coming would really help too because some things here are season specific

Old 11-19-2010, 10:31 AM

Thanks rezfreak for the great options and quick response.

I would be arriving 1st or second week of march, 2011

Old 11-19-2010, 11:31 AM

101 posts, read 198,849 times
I was there last Feb. for a class, wherever we went outside we had to climb over thigh high snow piles to get anywhere. The businesses shovel to the end of their walkway, and next door seems to do to the same spot. So as a customer you have to climb over the mess. They do not clear it for you to walk. I have to go back in 2011 am already working out to be better prepared for the snow climb.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:43 PM

2,763 posts, read 4,676,739 times
March is a little tricky, that's the 'post snow' early spring time of the year in Omaha. You may encounter snow, you may not, its very hit or miss that time of the year. The zoo may be out of the picture if its cold though

Joclyn is a great place to visit by the way - that's the one i absolutely recommend above all others, and if you have children, the children's museum is absolutely awesome for them.

If you're into planes, the SAC museum is a neat place just outside of Omaha to see too.

There's also a botanical garden here, but in march, not much to see

Old 11-19-2010, 03:10 PM

624 posts, read 1,102,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie Person View Post
I was there last Feb. for a class, wherever we went outside we had to climb over thigh high snow piles to get anywhere. The businesses shovel to the end of their walkway, and next door seems to do to the same spot. So as a customer you have to climb over the mess. They do not clear it for you to walk. I have to go back in 2011 am already working out to be better prepared for the snow climb.
That was an unworldly winter for Omaha. I think we had like two or three blizzardsin about two months, something like that. Not sure of anything exact, I just know that I got out of school for three days straight... Twice!

Old 11-19-2010, 09:43 PM

123 posts, read 362,557 times
I've heard Omaha has a couple good comedy clubs, though I've never been to any there. Omaha's not a very tourist driven city, but if you dig seeing new places go downtown to the Old Market and check out the shops and restaurants...while you're at it walk down to the Missouri River. There's a big pond right to the east of the Old Market, if you walk around that there's a trail that goes back to the river and there's a big walkway that takes you to a small lookout over the river. Oh and if you have 35 bucks you can take a horse and buggy ride around downtown.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:38 PM

6,125 posts, read 6,430,713 times
Zoo (even if it's cold, you can still enjoy the indoor exhibits...rain forest, aquarium, butterfly house, desert dome, nocturnal exhibit, etc.)

Old Market
Joslyn Art Museum
Durham Museum
Strategic Air and Space Museum
Wildlife Safari Park
Riverfront/Heartland of America Park
Pedestrian Mall/pedestrian bridge
Omaha Community Playhouse
Omaha Creative Institute
Funny Bone Comedy Club
River City Star riverboat
Union Pacific Railroad Museum
St. Patrick's Day Parade
Soaring Wings Winery

Old 11-21-2010, 02:04 AM

816 posts, read 1,415,928 times
As I suggest to all visitors to Omaha, I would suggest a bike ride down the keystone trail. If you are lucky, it will be a warm march with temps in the 60's, though even temps around average can be enjoyable given light winds. I also would recommend a ride across the pedestrian bridge in downtown.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:35 AM

Thanks all ...for your awesome suggestions!!!

You have been such a great help.

Looks like I'll have a busy week while I'm there.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or