U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2010, 11:28 AM

4 posts, read 8,045 times

Advertisements

Moving to town and looking for a place to workout that I preferably don't have to drive to -- I'm living off of Leavenworth near UNMC. I'm looking for a place that has treadmills / ellipticals / stair machines and a free weight area. Classes and pool are fine, but optional. Things I like: cleanliness, staff friendliness, and open early/late. I'd like a month to month, rather than a year-long contract as my biggest reason for signing up with a gym is running/biking inside during the winter, but that's not a deal breaker...

I've looked at reviews of places online and am just a bit frustrated because for each place that has great reviews, there are an equal number that say "the guys that run this place tried to cheat me out of my money" or "this place is overrun by children" or "the staff here is really rude." Just wondering if any of you City-Data folks have any places that you go to and really like!

I've been leaning toward checking out Prairie Life first, despite the weird variation in reviews, so any comments on them would be particularly helpful!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 02:32 PM

2,585 posts, read 9,523,619 times
Prairie Life is THE place for parents of young children to go (and take the kids)

Old 11-28-2010, 06:07 PM

17 posts, read 39,247 times
I would highly recommend Prairie Life. From the times that I have been in the Midtown location it isn't filled with kids like the other two locations are, but there are still a lot of things for kids to do, if that is a concern. All of the equipment is new and well cared for, and the staff is awesome. The membership dues are well worth it.

The only concern with that location is parking around there. Can be a bit tough during the day, but you get 3 hours free in the garage, so as long as you are willing to walk a short distance, it really isn't a problem.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:50 PM

624 posts, read 1,100,884 times
I go to the 24 Hour Fitness at 7777 Cass Street. It's a few miles west of UNMC, though, but it's a great gym in my experiences. Obviously, they're open all the time for one point. It's a three story building with parking at street level, the sign in and up area, basketball court, tons of cardio machines and a pool and spa as well as the locker rooms, classrooms and kid's area on the second level, third level has the weights, machines and more cardio machines. I love the place, it's like my second home. I like the way it's not all on one level and when you're on the top, you can see a good distance in every direction, so it's really nice to be able to look around while you rest. I've gotta say though, I'd never go there between 4:00 and 7:00. It's the only 24 hour fitness that serves everybody east of 72nd, some people west, and it's only a few blocks off Dodge, so I'm sure it collects a bunch of evening commuters. Best time to go is after 8:00. But really, I love this place. The workers greet you when you walk in and leave, but they aren't overly talkative with me, which is a plus in my mind, but I see them talk for a while with people that they probably know. I've never seen kids there, but that may be due to my later work out time. Even though the gym serves most everybody that chooses 24 hour, that live east of 72nd and north of Dodge, scary, right? There's never any thugs or trouble makers there. A+ for 77th and Cass 24hour Fitness.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:39 AM

171 posts, read 490,211 times
Aspen Athletic. They are currently just south of Aksarben Village, but are moving in to Aksarben Village in a week or two.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:36 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,045,778 times
I'd recommend Prairie Life, and discourage 24-Hour fitness.

I have a membership to Prairie Life and have found their facilities to be very nice and easy to use. At 24-hour fitness I have been there as a guest on multiple occasions, however, the attendant has attempted to over-charge me in the past, and another night claimed that they weren't allowing guests. I guess they don't want members either, because I certainly won't be going back.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:19 PM

4 posts, read 8,045 times
Thanks all! I appreciate the time you guys all took to provide feedback!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or