U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-01-2011, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Tampa (by way of Omaha)
13,908 posts, read 19,083,409 times
Reputation: 9115

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheaton View Post
Yeah, with the smoking ban, people show up anyways and just smoke outside. With the restaurant tax people show up anyways and just make some comment about it, but pay it anyways. Same kind of deal, just complain and move on. It's exactly what they anticipate whenever they raise taxes, we'll just groan, but not do anything about it.
Exactly. When the smoking ban happened, I'm sure some people stayed away for awhile in protest, but soon enough they realize they aren't going to change things so they begrudgingly come back. Same with the people pissed off about the restaurant tax. Very few of them will not eventually come back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-01-2011, 02:45 PM
 
3,204 posts, read 2,463,250 times
Reputation: 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Exactly. When the smoking ban happened, I'm sure some people stayed away for awhile in protest, but soon enough they realize they aren't going to change things so they begrudgingly come back. Same with the people pissed off about the restaurant tax. Very few of them will not eventually come back.

At least that is your opinion. And if others lose their livilihood because you are wrong so what. At least you got to do your social experiment, and that's what matters, right? Because you're so sure?

What are the qualifications for telling others how to live their lives or run their businesses? I'm sure you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2011, 02:46 PM
 
3,204 posts, read 2,463,250 times
Reputation: 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael07 View Post
Well, smoking and gambling go hand in hand. Both are unhealthy addictions.

And you have the CHOICE to do neither.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2011, 02:51 PM
 
Location: Tampa (by way of Omaha)
13,908 posts, read 19,083,409 times
Reputation: 9115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
At least that is your opinion. And if others lose their livilihood because you are wrong so what. At least you got to do your social experiment, and that's what matters, right? Because you're so sure?

What are the qualifications for telling others how to live their lives or run their businesses? I'm sure you know.
No opinion there. It's an undeniable fact supported by raw numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2011, 02:57 PM
 
3,204 posts, read 2,463,250 times
Reputation: 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
No opinion there. It's an undeniable fact supported by raw numbers.

It is certainly NOT supported by numbers. Only in your mind. Read up on the Illinois bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2011, 03:27 PM
 
Location: Tampa (by way of Omaha)
13,908 posts, read 19,083,409 times
Reputation: 9115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
It is certainly NOT supported by numbers. Only in your mind. Read up on the Illinois bills.
We're not talking about Illinois.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2011, 03:56 PM
 
816 posts, read 1,414,781 times
Reputation: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
At least that is your opinion. And if others lose their livilihood because you are wrong so what. At least you got to do your social experiment, and that's what matters, right? Because you're so sure?

What are the qualifications for telling others how to live their lives or run their businesses? I'm sure you know.
So your saying the livilihood[sic] of a few people is worth more than the health of those same people and EVERY patron that enters that establishment? I bet your also against the health department trying to keep restaurants up to code because that also amounts to government intrusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2011, 05:12 PM
 
3,204 posts, read 2,463,250 times
Reputation: 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
We're not talking about Illinois.

We're talking about the cost of doing business. Something many don't seem to know much about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2011, 05:30 PM
 
Location: Tampa (by way of Omaha)
13,908 posts, read 19,083,409 times
Reputation: 9115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
We're talking about the cost of doing business. Something many don't seem to know much about.
I know for fact that many Omaha restaurants said they experienced little to no drop off in patronage following either the smoking ban or the restaurant tax taking effect. The restaurant tax brought in a large amount of revenue as well, indicating that people are still going out to eat. These are simply and easily verifiable facts, so I don't know why you even bother debating it.

Also, for all the whining that went on, people seem to forget that EVERY restaurant in Omaha is on a level playing field. The smoking ban is statewide and Iowa has one in effect as well, and the restaurant tax applies to every single restaurant inside the city limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2011, 07:41 PM
 
3,204 posts, read 2,463,250 times
Reputation: 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
I know for fact that many Omaha restaurants said they experienced little to no drop off in patronage following either the smoking ban or the restaurant tax taking effect. The restaurant tax brought in a large amount of revenue as well, indicating that people are still going out to eat. These are simply and easily verifiable facts, so I don't know why you even bother debating it.

I'm not sure where you work but do they really take "I know for fact" as a verified fact or is that considered opinion? I know which it is in my book. Facts are derived from statistics, not he said she said.

Anyone with any business knowledge would know that you can't look at restaurant patronage over the holidays and determine with any accuracy what the future impact will be. But you are right, it's pointless for me to try and debate this with someone with no business knowledge.

Also, for all the whining that went on, people seem to forget that EVERY restaurant in Omaha is on a level playing field. The smoking ban is statewide and Iowa has one in effect as well, and the restaurant tax applies to every single restaurant inside the city limits.

Without any working knowledge of business I can't expect you to understand that regardless of a level playing field people do not have to go out to eat. They may have to drive on specific roads to get to their jobs but they do not have to go out to eat.

I won't be responding to this thread again. Stomping your feet in an effort to bolster your opinion into fact doesn't work with me and it's pointless to continue this discussion. Some posts aren't worth the effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:06 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top