Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 03:02 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,470,316 times

Advertisements

As a person that lives outside of the city limits, I find this funny. Of course I'm laughing because I can't vote for Omaha, but I just wrote a check to renew my car and pay a $50 Omaha wheel tax, and I wrote a check for $54 to pay for my garbage pickup. . Wonder why people are mad?

Blowing up the local news:

Enough Valid Signatures To Hold Recall Election Of Mayor

Recall gets enough signatures - Omaha.com

Recall Group Gathers Enough Valid Signatures - Omaha News Story - KETV Omaha (http://www.ketv.com/news/26020008/detail.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 02:55 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Little surprised. I didn't think they would pull it off. Now we just have to see if the judge will let it go forward.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:25 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,555,667 times
I'm surprised they got enough. It will probably just be a waste of time and money, but I have to admit I'm laughing, too.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:37 AM

624 posts, read 1,309,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
I'm surprised they got enough. It will probably just be a waste of time and money, but I have to admit I'm laughing, too.
<Feeling the same way.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:28 AM

6 posts, read 14,577 times
Good! The guy is a bumbling fool and a puppet for the unions.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:03 AM

817 posts, read 1,769,678 times
I just wonder what people expect a new mayor to do. If they expect the new taxes to be repealed they are going to be disappointed. A tax increase was inevitable even before the election. The city has cut about everything it can while still providing services people expect.

Though holding recalls seems to be a pastime in Omaha. I expect the new mayor, if the recall holds and gets enough votes, will also face a possible recall and will the mayor after that. Every mayor in the last 10 years has faced a recall petition (with 2 on daub), that to me says more about the people here rather than the politicians.l

Old 12-06-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
I just wonder what people expect a new mayor to do. If they expect the new taxes to be repealed they are going to be disappointed. A tax increase was inevitable even before the election. The city has cut about everything it can while still providing services people expect.

Though holding recalls seems to be a pastime in Omaha. I expect the new mayor, if the recall holds and gets enough votes, will also face a possible recall and will the mayor after that. Every mayor in the last 10 years has faced a recall petition (with 2 on daub), that to me says more about the people here rather than the politicians.l
There are a lot of people that have the mentality that they want top notch everything while paying super low taxes and if they don't get it, they are going to go for a recall. Which is stupid. Personally I don't mind paying taxes if I see the same benefit as the rest of the tax payers, and the tax isn't double taxation.

I seem to pay the same taxes as those in Omaha, but I don't get to vote for the people that control if I pay Omaha taxes and I don't get free trash pickup. It's like I'm being penalized. Unless people in Omaha pay more than I do?

And the restaurant tax seems to be double taxation to me, but maybe I don't know the true definition of it. I mean adding the sales tax to the total and taking the new total and taxing that. Wow.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:49 AM

380 posts, read 1,000,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post

I'll 3rd to that!!

Old 12-22-2010, 09:53 AM

So I understand that the taxpayers have to pay for the recall. They voted for the recall, they should pay for it. But do taxpayers have to pay for the lawsuit that Suttle has filed to fight the recall? It seems like the lawsuit should come from his pocket. It's not the taxypayers fault he's choosing to fight.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:55 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,544,498 times
considering the omaha world herald is against the recall and been obsessive about trashing the recall.

dont this put to rest the lie that the paper is somehow a "republican" machine,

despite the fact that most omaha world herald journalists and reporters are democrats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: