Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 03:51 PM

376 posts, read 653,805 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody,
I'm a new college graduate from sunny California, where the weather is great but unemployment is over 12 percent!
I majored in political science, one of the least marketable majors I know, and my degree is from good old California State University, East Bay, which I'm guessing no one in Omaha has heard of.

I've been perusing my options and noticed the Omaha-Lincoln area's unemployment rate is only 5 percent or so and the city is on the top lists of best job markets, etc., and has a "stable Midwestern economy."

I'm considering moving to the Omaha area for several reasons:

1. The job market is supposedly much better then here in CA, and unemployment is so much further below the national average.
2. I'm young (21) and luckily do not have student debt, a mortgage, children, a spouse or anything really tying me down to home in CA.
3. Cost of living is insanely expensive here in CA, a 2 room apartment is $1300 at least vs. $600 in Omaha-Lincoln.
4. I never moved away for college and have spent my whole life in the same CA town, I really like CA, but feel it might be time to see more of the country.

Is this a good idea or a terrible idea? Please be honest, I don't know anyone in Omaha or Lincoln or in the entire state of Nebraska, but I am financially stable and have a college degree.

A few tidbits:
1. I know Nebraska is COLD, however having been on vacations to the Sierras almost every year I think I can handle it.
2. I know it's hotter and more humid, but I've been to the hot Central Valley and lived without A/C in 100+ heat before, so I think I could handle that too.
3. California and Nebraska are "culturally different", some say. I don't see this as a problem as I don't think I'm better then anyone else, or that because I'm from California and have a degree I'm smarter then anyone else.
4. Yes, I'm sort of liberal politically, but I'm not in your face about it and I really don't mind other people's viewpoints and actually enjoy hearing them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 04:13 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,189,580 times
I would suggest Omaha over Lincoln if your more of a big city person and want a more progressive city to call home. I would suggest either Dundee or downtown/north downtown if you do chose Omaha.

As for jobs with a political science degree that I have no idea where would be better for. Lincoln has the state capitol which may have more jobs available, but I really don't know for sure.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:20 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
You should be fine in Omaha. It's a slightly left of center city so your liberal viewpoints won't be an issue. You will adjust to the weather in time.

Good luck!

Old 12-15-2010, 08:35 AM

817 posts, read 1,769,903 times
I would highly suggest a loft in the old market. Plenty to do around there and the area has an active nightlife.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:41 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,859,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ippi76 View Post
Hey everybody,
I'm a new college graduate from sunny California, where the weather is great but unemployment is over 12 percent!
I majored in political science, one of the least marketable majors I know, and my degree is from good old California State University, East Bay, which I'm guessing no one in Omaha has heard of.

I've been perusing my options and noticed the Omaha-Lincoln area's unemployment rate is only 5 percent or so and the city is on the top lists of best job markets, etc., and has a "stable Midwestern economy."

I'm considering moving to the Omaha area for several reasons:

1. The job market is supposedly much better then here in CA, and unemployment is so much further below the national average.
2. I'm young (21) and luckily do not have student debt, a mortgage, children, a spouse or anything really tying me down to home in CA.
3. Cost of living is insanely expensive here in CA, a 2 room apartment is $1300 at least vs. $600 in Omaha-Lincoln.
4. I never moved away for college and have spent my whole life in the same CA town, I really like CA, but feel it might be time to see more of the country.

Is this a good idea or a terrible idea? Please be honest, I don't know anyone in Omaha or Lincoln or in the entire state of Nebraska, but I am financially stable and have a college degree.

A few tidbits:
1. I know Nebraska is COLD, however having been on vacations to the Sierras almost every year I think I can handle it.
2. I know it's hotter and more humid, but I've been to the hot Central Valley and lived without A/C in 100+ heat before, so I think I could handle that too.
3. California and Nebraska are "culturally different", some say. I don't see this as a problem as I don't think I'm better then anyone else, or that because I'm from California and have a degree I'm smarter then anyone else.
4. Yes, I'm sort of liberal politically, but I'm not in your face about it and I really don't mind other people's viewpoints and actually enjoy hearing them.
I suggest you take a trip out before making and solid decisions. Get a look at the area, a feel for the weather and life.

Subscribe to the newspapers or look online daily to see what's going on and to see if there are job listings. If Nebraska has an employment site with job listings, check that out too. If you have time, you could drive or take a train out and soak up some scenery. Personally I've made the drive so many times now between Ca. and Mo. that I'd be happy to never see another sagebrush, salt flat, or what seems like constantly windy state again.

I've never been to either town you mentioned so I can't chime in on that but I have moved half way across the country to a town we knew no one.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:54 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
ippi76,
Congratultions on your graduation. Both Lincoln or Omaha offer jobs to those with a degree in Political Science. One employer that comes to my mind is Gallup. Gallup has their main office in Omaha but a smaller staff in Lincoln. You might be able to get a job as a staff member with one of the Nebraska State Legislators. A job like that would not pay very well but the contacts you make would be very valuable in the future. Actually there might be more of a demand for a graduate with a PS degree in Lincoln than you might think. As far as being slanted toward the Liberal side of things remember you are only 21. When you get your eyes open you will probably see things in a more conservative way. Good luck if you make the move. Nebraska is a great place.

GL2

Old 12-15-2010, 01:12 PM

696 posts, read 1,726,584 times
Just because Nebraska has a low unemployment does not mean there are a lot of jobs.
It very well could be because we didn't have mass layoffs.

If you don' get a job using your PS degree, you will end up in an entry level position behind anyone with a business degree.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:26 PM

376 posts, read 653,805 times
Wow, thanks for all the great responses everyone. Definitely given me some stuff to think about. Unfortunately, driving out to Nebraska just to visit would be extremely far. Furthest east I've been is Idaho/Montana! I think will start perusing job listings and stuff though!

Old 12-15-2010, 10:12 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
ippi76,
Check out the fares for AmTrak. In my opinion AmTrak is better than flying. Rates are very reasonable if you shop around. I have always managed to sleep in their reclining chairs with no problem so I refuse to spend money on sleeper berths. Lincoln and Omaha are scheduled stops. I believe there are two trains running to San Francisco and Los Angeles from Lincoln and Omaha. The third AmTrak stop in Nebraska is at McCook. If you want to see what the country looks like this is the way to go.

GL2

Old 12-16-2010, 07:08 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,077,228 times
Hey Ippi, I'm a native Californian, lived there my entire life except for the last 4 years- we've lived in Omaha now for a year and a half --we were there a year ago in April for five months, hoping to find work (Central Valley)--no such luck, unem. was 17% when we were there, ouch-

In comparison to where you are, jobs are much easier to come by here and there are definitely more of them- yeah, it gets pretty cold but no worse than the Sierras- of course, you're in it a lot longer, but....as for the humidity, well, that's another story- I lived in the Central Valley my entire life, and the heat there is dry in comparison to the humidity here- high temps in Cali are a lot easier to take- it can be in the mid-80's here with high humidity, and it's literally hard to breathe and feels a lot hotter. But you're young, you can handle it, lol-

I think that if you're financially set to last a good while, you would do great here- your chances of finding a job would be much better. My husband found a job within a week-Rent is pretty decent, the strangest thing I've found is that grocery shopping is quite a bit more than it is there, go figure- I'm sure Cali makes up for that in the cost of rent, haha-

Good luck in your decision!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha