U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 07:09 AM

300 posts, read 1,052,598 times

Advertisements

Born and raised in Lincoln, my DH and I might be moving to Omaha in a few years. Mostly because the computer industry (What he's going to school for) in Lincoln is not as good as Omaha as well as houses being cheaper.
I haven't really "experienced" Omaha that much. I've only been to the zoo, a house party, the Old Market *ONCE* and my cousin/aunt's house. That is certainly not even close to seeing what Omaha is all about.
I was wondering what ya'll think of these two cities and which one is your favorite? We're having a tough time deciding which city to live in and hearing your responses may give us some points to think about.
All responses are appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 03:05 PM

482 posts, read 2,037,714 times
Well you don't have to really live in Omaha. You could check out some of the towns around Omaha that have not been taken over by Omaha's expansion plans. Both cities have different thing that makes them what they are. With you living in Lincoln in the past you should already know about Lincoln so all you need to do is to check out Omaha. For me I like both cities as I am able to find anything that I want in either city. Then the best part to me is that I can leave both of them behind and go to my small town where it is oh so quiet.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:45 PM

421 posts, read 1,068,774 times
I like Lincoln better than Omaha. It seems to have more character and less freeway, office park type thing than Omaha.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:17 PM

884 posts, read 756,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaysos View Post
I like Lincoln better than Omaha. It seems to have more character and less freeway, office park type thing than Omaha.

yeah no freeways....nothing like spending half your day at a stoplight.

lol WOW.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:28 PM

There are plenty of stop lights in Omaha that you have to sit at for a long time. I just like how Lincoln is set up better. Your from Omaha so of course you would criticize my post. I live in St. Paul and am just giving my un-biased opinion, Jeeez.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:28 PM

lol sorry I wasn't trying to be harsh. I jut think it takes forever to get from one end of lincoln to the other no matter what rout you take. Lincoln could use a freeway system at lease to some extent.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:11 PM

482 posts, read 2,037,714 times
Why does everyone think that a freeway is always the best thing to have? I can get around Lincoln better than I can if I was on the freeways of Omaha. In Lincoln if you have a accident you can turn off the main road to get around it. On the freeways of Omaha if there is an accident in front you can't drive around it. You can be in traffic for hours if it is a bad one. Freeways are nice if they are open and free of traffic problems so that you can get across town fast. Other than that freeways offer little benefit to Lincoln as I can travel across Lincoln east to west; north to south in always around 20 minutes if you know how to do it.

Old 07-19-2007, 11:11 AM

Freeways aren't just designed for the local residents who know their way around and all the shortcuts. And yes freeways are a more convenient alternative from 2 lane roads with stoplights every block if your traveling a respectable distance. Im not saying jump on the freeway to go get some ice cream. Point proven is the good ol' husker saturdays. One football game shouldn't have to shut down an entire cities road system to gridlock. The fact is Lincoln waited to long for any sort of freeway to go through town and now its too expensive to do so. I think this proves Lincoln has a small town mindset and they always will.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:37 PM

I am glad that Lincoln did not destory its older neigborhoods by plowing a freeway through them. Time has shown, that building freeways through older neighborhoods almost completly destorys the character and social connections of a neighborhood. Thats why I like Lincoln better than Omaha, they dont have large freeways going throught their origional neighborhoods, just to make way for those that want to commute from the suburbs. I think in this way, Lincoln has a more advanced mindset that will allow it to plan better for mass transit in the future without degrading its origional neighborhoods rather than making the whole city auto dependent.

Old 07-19-2007, 02:53 PM

lol lincoln will never spend a dime for anything other than buses which will sit idle at the stop lights. For the sake of progress we cant always hang onto the past(old rundown neighborhoods with drugs and gangs). Im assuming you referring to the North Freeway in Omaha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or