U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-02-2011, 11:22 AM
 
816 posts, read 1,413,657 times
Reputation: 228

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
You have me correctly pegged so far.

I want a fair implementation of the wheel tax. Or get rid of it. Taxing people that are outside of the city limits and thus, are unable to vote for mayor or city council is called "taxation without representation" and was a contributor to the American Revolution.
Actually you are quite wrong here. Taxation without representation requires that you have no one to go to that can affect the tax. You can always go to the state of Nebraska to plead your case or even the federal government and get that tax overturned. Look how it worked here in nebraska. Omaha tried to pass a new tax and the residents complained to the state and got the tax overrturned. Sure sounds like representation to me!
Anyway, Taxation without representation is not a law and never has been, therefore it holds no legal weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Or *gasp* make you pay for your own garbage removal and apply the funds to it. I pay for mine.
This one gets OLD! Omaha residents do pay for their trash service. Same as we pay for library service, and park service, and snow removal. It comes out of our taxes and it part of living in a big city. Just because it does not have it's own separate tax in no way means it is free!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-02-2011, 11:32 AM
 
6,486 posts, read 5,667,266 times
Reputation: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
Actually you are quite wrong here. Taxation without representation requires that you have no one to go to that can affect the tax. You can always go to the state of Nebraska to plead your case or even the federal government and get that tax overturned. Look how it worked here in nebraska. Omaha tried to pass a new tax and the residents complained to the state and got the tax overrturned. Sure sounds like representation to me!
Anyway, Taxation without representation is not a law and never has been, therefore it holds no legal weight.
Except that I'm not actually able to vote for the people that levy taxes.
Quote:

This one gets OLD! Omaha residents do pay for their trash service. Same as we pay for library service, and park service, and snow removal. It comes out of our taxes and it part of living in a big city. Just because it does not have it's own separate tax in no way means it is free!
And one could argue that I subsidize your garbage removal, as I pay city taxes for a city that I don't live in. If I wasn't paying it they might have to tax you a few bucks more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2011, 12:24 PM
 
65 posts, read 109,657 times
Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Except that I'm not actually able to vote for the people that levy taxes.


And one could argue that I subsidize your garbage removal, as I pay city taxes for a city that I don't live in. If I wasn't paying it they might have to tax you a few bucks more.
May I suggest that to avoid paying city taxes, you consider moving out of the metropolitan area? I imagine that you think living in Omaha is too crazy, so I won't suggest you move into the city. Or have you spoken with your state senator? Or have you considered joining an anti-government militia. I think there are some good ones in Montana (note that you will probably still have to pay sales tax on your weapons and property - but just think of all the misguided "taxation without representation" propaganda you can send out in your mailers). Finally, I suggest that you buy an Uncle Sam costume and attend some tea party rallies. I love that costume.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2011, 12:48 PM
 
6,486 posts, read 5,667,266 times
Reputation: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebr View Post
May I suggest that to avoid paying city taxes, you consider moving out of the metropolitan area? I imagine that you think living in Omaha is too crazy, so I won't suggest you move into the city.
I used to live inside the city limits until we built a house a few years ago. I would love it if Omaha annexed my SID. My taxes would drop by probably 1/3. I have nothing against Omaha, but figured if I was going to spend the money I might as well get a new house instead of one that is 20 years old.
Quote:

Or have you spoken with your state senator? Or have you considered joining an anti-government militia. I think there are some good ones in Montana (note that you will probably still have to pay sales tax on your weapons and property - but just think of all the misguided "taxation without representation" propaganda you can send out in your mailers). Finally, I suggest that you buy an Uncle Sam costume and attend some tea party rallies. I love that costume.
umm...no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2011, 01:00 PM
 
Location: Middleburg
906 posts, read 1,532,508 times
Reputation: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I have nothing against Omaha, but figured if I was going to spend the money I might as well get a new house instead of one that is 20 years old.
Please compare apples to apples. Is age the only different between two houses that you were looking at? I doubt it. Or was the 20 year old house in a better location, with trees, sidewalks, and character? Did living in the 20 year old house allow you to vote for the people who tax you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2011, 01:28 PM
 
6,486 posts, read 5,667,266 times
Reputation: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
Please compare apples to apples. Is age the only different between two houses that you were looking at? I doubt it. Or was the 20 year old house in a better location, with trees, sidewalks, and character? Did living in the 20 year old house allow you to vote for the people who tax you?
The 20 year old house was in a comparable neighborhood with comparable sidewalks. I honestly don't care about trees and valued new construction with new furnace, AC, insulation, etc over character.

As for being able to vote for those that tax me? It wasn't something I thought about either, to be honest. It never occurred to me that someone I didn't vote for could impose taxes on me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2011, 11:41 PM
 
3,204 posts, read 2,461,901 times
Reputation: 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
And you too are assuming, that organic food is somehow healthier. There is NO scientific data that says it is any better or worse for you. Blind taste tests have also come up about equal.

I also did not say it should be free, YOU did, so QUIT putting words into my mouth ! Cyclists pay a lot for their bikes and for maintenance (guess what, that's taxed!). We also pay a lot in federal taxes for roads we can't use (state and federal highways). Sounds like a fair compromise to me! Now if roads were 100% funded by their users you may have a point, but everyone in this country, whether they drive or not helps pay for the roads in this country. Still sound like a free thing?

It's hilarious how some posters try to redirect a debate when they have no argument. Cars are taxed in all those additional ways as well, so why shouldn't people on bikes be taxed for using the roads?

I'm sure you've heard it before, but...people need to be careful when they are so willing to tax the things others enjoy because someday a tax will fall on them as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2011, 12:42 AM
 
816 posts, read 1,413,657 times
Reputation: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
It's hilarious how some posters try to redirect a debate when they have no argument. Cars are taxed in all those additional ways as well, so why shouldn't people on bikes be taxed for using the roads?

I'm sure you've heard it before, but...people need to be careful when they are so willing to tax the things others enjoy because someday a tax will fall on them as well.
Who's redirecting? I have always and will always stand on the same argument. NO industrialized nation taxes it cyclists to ride. Just that simple. Automobiles need to be hevily taxed because of how expensive their infrastructure needs to be. Bicycle lanes and paths are cheap and require far less maintenance, hence the lower taxes and cost of ownership.

Anyway your argument is a moot point as soon we all will be paying a sales tax to support the roads and your argument will no longer hold water. Though I have learned that the ant-cyclist crowd will always come up with another lame excuse to try and shove those of us who were on the road first, yes FIRST, off!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2011, 12:56 AM
 
816 posts, read 1,413,657 times
Reputation: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
And one could argue that I subsidize your garbage removal, as I pay city taxes for a city that I don't live in. If I wasn't paying it they might have to tax you a few bucks more.
And I pay my federal taxes and subsidize your interstate system but am not allowed to use it. It's part of living in a modern society. Sometimes you pay for things you can't or do not use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2011, 01:21 AM
 
Location: Tampa (by way of Omaha)
13,889 posts, read 19,065,833 times
Reputation: 9094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
so why shouldn't people on bikes be taxed for using the roads?
Again I ask, how do you do it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top