U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 09:24 AM

3,096 posts, read 6,461,703 times

Advertisements

A new plan for Crossroads - Omaha.com

quote:

The shopping center's anchors — Target on the east, Sears on the west and Barnes & Noble near the main entrance — would remain.

Another anchor tenant would be sought for the former Dillard's space on the north.

The parking garage, a part of which is leased by UNO, would remain as well.

Krejci and Yates would demolish the rest of the mall. Replacing it would be an open-air space

encompassing about 350,000 square feet of public-use sites, including a possible

Omaha Public Library branch as well as restaurants, housing and retailers targeting the college demographic.

Yates said many retailers would want access to the more than 28,000 college students within a six-mile radius of 72nd and Dodge Streets, the city's second-busiest intersection.

Proximity to the Nebraska Furniture Mart and affluent neighborhoods also make the location attractive, he said.

He plans to pursue retail options new to the Omaha market, such as the European clothing retailer H&M.

Bob Batt, executive vice president of Nebraska Furniture Mart, said that he hadn't been briefed on the plan but that he trusts Krejci's judgment.

Revitalizing Crossroads is crucial to the neighborhood and the entire city, Batt said.

“Besides the lost tax base, it does no one any good at all to have that empty.”

City Planning Director Rick Cunningham said, “I'm just tickled pink that they are leading the charge. We would like this to be a catalyst for this whole intersection. ...

A redeveloped Crossroads would be an exclamation on the renaissance of Omaha.”

The big-picture plan is a long way from the formal approval process, but a number of city officials have been involved in discussions with Yates and Krejci, Cunningham said. He described the relationship as very collaborative.

Omaha Library Director Gary Wasdin said he learned about the plan from Cunningham.

The organization's long-term road map calls for a branch at Crossroads, Wasdin said, but library officials and board members haven't studied the feasibility of moving into Krejci's development.

“It's an ideal location,” Wasdin said. “There would be a lot of discussion on our part to figure out if that was something we wanted to do. We'd need to figure out how we're going to pay for such a thing.”

A new plan for Crossroads - Omaha.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 09:36 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,138,294 times
That's what I said they should do. . Good idea I guess.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:21 PM

481 posts, read 1,150,627 times
It's about time! I can't wait to see more renderings for this. Hopefully this will help revitalize one of the busiest areas of town. I've got my fingers crossed that this won't be a suburban "lifestyle center" plopped down in the middle of the city, but rather something more akin to Midtown Crossing.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:29 PM

6 posts, read 12,140 times
I love to be cynical, so I must say - I'll believe it when I see it.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamajefferson View Post
I love to be cynical, so I must say - I'll believe it when I see it.
bama, I am accused by some online of being too cynical and I agree with u.

I also agree with what pheaton said.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:39 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,690,173 times
Well it sounds like it will be like Aksarben with the residences and such.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:15 PM

816 posts, read 1,414,781 times
I just hope they make it pedestrian and bicycle friendly. Too much emphasis on the automobile in this country. We need more projects like aksarben village, but a bit more friendly.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:58 PM

13,908 posts, read 19,083,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserdisque View Post
It's about time! I can't wait to see more renderings for this. Hopefully this will help revitalize one of the busiest areas of town. I've got my fingers crossed that this won't be a suburban "lifestyle center" plopped down in the middle of the city, but rather something more akin to Midtown Crossing.
They apparently want to build appartments on top of the old Dillards, so we'd at least have some height there.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:15 PM

481 posts, read 1,150,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
They apparently want to build appartments on top of the old Dillards, so we'd at least have some height there.
That was certainly one of the things that most intrigued me about the proposal. I wonder how they will make that happen. Will it be actual construction, or will it be renovating the top floor of the Dillards building to be housing. Another thing I wonder about is if the sears building will get a facade update or not. I understand that sears pretty much has the say to do whatever they want with their building as they have a 100 year lease.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael07 View Post
Well it sounds like it will be like Aksarben with the residences and such.
that is what is sounds like. hope it will be like that. love aksarben village
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or