Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 08:41 PM

28 posts, read 57,995 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure when this happened, but the Tires Plus and the Firestone on 60th and Ames both recently closed. Seems odd that one wouldn't stay open with the greatest chance of capturing market share, but I'm guessing these decisions weren't made by someone in Omaha. They both seemed to be rather busy when I drove by, but that seems to make little difference in corporate America!

Anyway, anyone have any insight to what happened? Just seems like odd timing and the last thing this area, which was showing very slight signs of life, needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 10:02 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,543,719 times
another empty business/building in councilman Pete Festersen 's district?

(coughs 72nd and Blondo and 72nd and Maple and the old Louis Market and dozens of other empty buildings in Pete's district that have been empty for year or many years in some cases

so much for that job growth Festering Pete keeps talking about

Old 03-30-2013, 10:56 AM

181 posts, read 358,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post

(coughs 72nd and Blondo and 72nd and Maple and the old Louis Market and dozens of other empty buildings in Pete's district that have been empty for year or many years in some cases

So much for all the development in that district that Suttle keeps tooting his horn about, and taking the credit for..... ie Wal Mart. Their coming to 50th & Ames had nothing to do with Suttle.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:51 PM

28 posts, read 57,995 times
No, he didn't. And I didn't consider that - Wal-Marts have their own tire places. Maybe these companies saw the writing on the wall.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:54 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post

I know right? The nerve of a City Councilman allowing that to happen during the worst economic downturn since the great depression!

QUICK! GET THE PITCHFORKS AND THE RECALL BALLOTS!

Old 04-02-2013, 12:53 PM

906 posts, read 1,810,195 times
Zero chance of competing against the new Walmart for tires and car service, so they chose not to fight a losing battle. This is how Walmart slowly degrades America.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:09 PM

181 posts, read 358,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
Zero chance of competing against the new Walmart for tires and car service, so they chose not to fight a losing battle. This is how Walmart slowly degrades America.

Sam Walton began as any other small business.

He just did it better.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:04 PM

906 posts, read 1,810,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhettB View Post
Sam Walton began as any other small business.

He just did it better.
Bigger and more profitable does not always equal better.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:45 PM

116 posts, read 281,829 times
Because Tommy Tires have that corner "cornered".

Old 04-12-2013, 05:11 PM

817 posts, read 1,769,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
Bigger and more profitable does not always equal better.
Clearly they are doing something right. If people want to shop walmart rather than the local stores then they clearly ARE the better store. If walmart was as bad as the naysayers claim, no one would shop there.

I use to be one of the "walmart bad, small good" crowd. Till I looked into the growth that happens around a walmart and the employment opportunities people have there. Honestly the anti walmart crowd has no credibility in my eyes anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: