U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 10:53 AM

906 posts, read 1,533,310 times

Advertisements

If abusing chickens and knowing about them are the same, then you're right, I know nothing about chickens.

As for the "thousands of years" of history claim, a chicken's natural habitat was the tropical jungles of southeast Asia, then they migrated to India where they still live in the wild. In no point in history did a chicken ever choose to live in sub-zero temperatures nor anything remotely close. Yes, it is animal cruelty to subject them to cold temperatures without heat lamps or protection. Not sure what you're expecting the chicken to do to protest their conditions?

Last edited by MountainMen; 02-15-2011 at 11:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 11:36 AM

2,707 posts, read 5,341,432 times
Mine CHOOSE to be outdoors rather than cooped up (no pun intended), even in cold weather. This was true when we lived in North Dakota, also. The small door in the coop is left open during the day and they choose to go OUT.
I'm not sure how better to get the opinion of a chicken...

Seriously, educate yourself before you start accusing people of abuse.
And if you're not satisfied with a basic coop, what exactly do you think would fit your criteria of "protection??"

Old 02-15-2011, 01:38 PM

26 posts, read 31,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
If abusing chickens and knowing about them are the same, then you're right, I know nothing about chickens.

As for the "thousands of years" of history claim, a chicken's natural habitat was the tropical jungles of southeast Asia, then they migrated to India where they still live in the wild. In no point in history did a chicken ever choose to live in sub-zero temperatures nor anything remotely close. Yes, it is animal cruelty to subject them to cold temperatures without heat lamps or protection. Not sure what you're expecting the chicken to do to protest their conditions?
It looks like you've created an out for yourself MountainMen in referencing "protection". Are you suggesting that a coop with adequate wind protection would be humane? If so then we are all on the same page.

As to domestication, chickens have been out of the wild for over 8000 years, and in use across non tropical areas of China/Mongolia over 5000 yrs. If you take a casual look at animal husbandry you will find that breeds are developed to meet the demands of their climate. If I were to take a chicken from Thailand and place it in a coop here you may have a bad result. To suggest that chickens living with no heat in the mid-west is inhumane due to the fact that it did not choose to live here is the height of...looking for a polite term here...how about naiveté. Should the same be said for cattle, or hogs. Should we have some kind of legislation that prohibits farmers from having mammals in cold climates unless they meet certain heated living guidelines? Are you a fan of increased government largess?

Relating to the real world for a moment, this from Professor Dryden in "Poultry Breeding and Management" pg. 178.

"The wide-open front is impracticable in sections where the temperature gets much below zero... In a section where the minimum temperature is zero, one side of the house may be practically all open. In such a climate sufficient ventilation for fifty fowls will be obtained by an opening 3x8 feet or 24 square feet of opening, equal to about one-half square foot per fowl. In colder climates, with a temperature of 20 below zero, the opening may be decreased to a fourth or a fifth the size. A small opening in a cold climate will give better ventilation than a larger opening in a warm climate. In summer the opening should be larger than in the winter."

As stated earlier, ventilation is key. An attempt to heat a coop can lead to disease and death of poultry. Does this sound humane?

Old 02-15-2011, 02:13 PM

29 posts, read 60,234 times
I have nothing of value to add, other than I keep misreading this headline and wondering where somebody would get Space Chickens.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:56 PM

696 posts, read 1,495,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachaella View Post
I have nothing of value to add, other than I keep misreading this headline and wondering where somebody would get Space Chickens.
LOL

http://www.rachelcamacho.com/new/space%20chicken%20color.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-15-2011, 04:42 PM

481 posts, read 1,150,522 times
Glad to see that this thread took a rather amazing upswing of awesomeness.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:08 PM

Case is closed on chickens and cold conditions safe to say.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:46 PM

Could be there is a coop in the near Omaha area that is not in use. I would pay some rent, share some eggs. The main consideration is that it is out of the Omaha city limits, where roosters are free to crow, and there be more room than my back yard.
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha