Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is the best school district in Omaha?
OPS 10 37.04%
Millard 12 44.44%
Papillion/La Vista 2 7.41%
Bellevue 3 11.11%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 05:35 AM

124 posts, read 166,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
I went to Omaha north, and as a geeky little white girl, i was definitely picked on both due to my race, but also my sex. I hated every second there. I transferred out and went to Bellevue West for the second half of my school years and LOVED it there. Teachers were absolutely great, i even still talk to a couple of them and I graduated nearly 10 years ago. They really care about your child in Bellevue.
Oddly enough, my kids had the exact opposite experience. Our daughter never had one single bad experience, with teachers or fellow students, at North. Graduated early. And with all the college-level courses offered at North, graduated from high school with 1-1/2 years' worth of college credit at UNO complete. A first-class, fantastic school.

I also have a brother-in-law who teaches at Papillion-LaVista High School. Other than what sounds to me like a lot of drug problems, that sounds like a really good high school as well.

Yet again, where people want to be depends on what they want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 06:32 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,615,778 times
I'm sorry...anyone that actually voted OPS needs to take a hard look at what they call "quality". And yes...I say that as a parent of OPS kids. OPS just doesn't compare to the others. They just are not in the same category.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:15 AM

300 posts, read 1,179,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divingbelle12368 View Post
you're not going to get social or racial diversity in the same neighborhood as a hearthstone home. the closest you may come is bellevue. i think they have a few of those pre fab cookie cutter type celebrity homes. bellevue is stigmatized as ghetto by west omahans. however, i think it's just because it's not 99% white like the west omaha schools.
We know that living in a suburban home won't give our kids diversity, that's why we're thinking we want their schools to give that to them.

And yes, Bellevue has a few neighborhoods of Celebrity Homes. That's one of the home builders we will be looking at when it's time.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I'm sorry...anyone that actually voted OPS needs to take a hard look at what they call "quality". And yes...I say that as a parent of OPS kids. OPS just doesn't compare to the others. They just are not in the same category.
Odd, from my research, I've concluded that OPS is a very good school system. Even Warren Buffet sent his kids to OPS schools.

Every kids has a different experience in school. My husband and I both went to Lincoln Public Schools and had two very different experiences there. I hated it and felt I fell through the cracks and he excelled and says he loved school.
It depends on the kid.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:21 AM

I guess I ask this because I've rarely even *been* to Omaha.
I know Lincoln Schools like the back of my hand because I've lived here my whole life. I know what preschools, elementary schools, middle schools and high schools are best and in what order I would put them. I know what neighborhoods I like and where I'm comfortable.
The unknown in Omaha terrifies me. It's a whole new ballgame up there.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:41 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,615,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerahrtlu View Post
Odd, from my research, I've concluded that OPS is a very good school system. Even Warren Buffet sent his kids to OPS schools.

Every kids has a different experience in school. My husband and I both went to Lincoln Public Schools and had two very different experiences there. I hated it and felt I fell through the cracks and he excelled and says he loved school.
It depends on the kid.
I never said OPS wasn't good. I'm sorry....my "quality" statement probably sounded like that. My point was that if we judge it on quality alone, I think there are other districts that are better.

There are better ones in the area, though. As for Warren's kids? His kids are grown adults...right? We're talking probably 30 years?

But honestly...I am friends with a couple that are missionaries in Peru. They are amazed that people will home-school or private school their kids when there are schools as good as OPS available to them.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I never said OPS wasn't good. I'm sorry....my "quality" statement probably sounded like that. My point was that if we judge it on quality alone, I think there are other districts that are better.

There are better ones in the area, though. As for Warren's kids? His kids are grown adults...right? We're talking probably 30 years?

But honestly...I am friends with a couple that are missionaries in Peru. They are amazed that people will home-school or private school their kids when there are schools as good as OPS available to them.
I apologize, I misunderstood you then.
I'll never understand homeschooling, but that's just me. I understand the religious side of private school or if you live in a really crappy school district (think Chicago Public Schools) though.

It's so overwhelming because all Lincoln schools are basically the same (with just *alittle* difference between them) and all these Omaha schools offer so many different choices. Ugh.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
We know that living in a suburban home won't give our kids diversity, that's why we're thinking we want their schools to give that to them.

And yes, Bellevue has a few neighborhoods of Celebrity Homes. That's one of the home builders we will be looking at when it's time.
Not a comment about schools here, but about Celebrity Homes.

One word: DON'T.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:45 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Quote:

It depends on the kid.
OPS schools are just as good if not better than any of the other districts. The problem with OPS is that they get stuck with alot of the inner city kids who frankly don't care and it drags OPS down on paper. For anyone who actually values their education, like DavidGeorge's kids, OPS can do wonderful things.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
OPS schools are just as good if not better than any of the other districts. The problem with OPS is that they get stuck with alot of the inner city kids who frankly don't care and it drags OPS down on paper. For anyone who actually values their education, like DavidGeorge's kids, OPS can do wonderful things.
You hit the nail on the head. Folks from Millard & Westside LOVE to talk about the drop-out rates at Omaha North & Omaha Central. Sure... And their point is?

The bottom line is that you cannot make kids learn. You cannot make kids want to be in school. The fact that some of these urban high schools have a higher drop out rate than the suburban schools is due to the fact that Mama is a crackhead & Daddy is in prison somewhere. It's not due to the quality of education offered.

A kid growing up in an economically stable two-parent home, that supports the kid, will have FAR more to do with his/her success in life than what school said child attends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha