Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is the best school district in Omaha?
OPS 10 37.04%
Millard 12 44.44%
Papillion/La Vista 2 7.41%
Bellevue 3 11.11%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 10:47 AM

300 posts, read 1,175,683 times

Advertisements

Now, please, please, please keep this civil.
I know this is just a drama post waiting to happen, but I really appreciate everyone's views on here and this is a question that's important to me.

I need intelligent and to-the-point replies.

You guys are grreat, really. But if I read one more post about how West Omaha is better than East Omaha or how East Omaha is better than West Omaha, I may just have to shoot myself in the face. lol

Ok, I'm off my soapbox now. Carry on.

My husband and I are stuck on where in Omaha to live, and I think the only way to come to a conclusion is to figure out which district we like the best and go from there.
If you would, would you also tell me what school you think is best in the district? (Millard West? Omaha North? etc) They all have their good points, but I feel like a fish outta water here.

Thank you!

Last edited by SunshineSanity; 02-27-2011 at 10:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 11:24 AM

124 posts, read 165,123 times
What, exactly, do you want in a school?

And keep in mind that there is nothing - absolutely nothing - more important to your children's education than their HOME.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:02 PM

300 posts, read 1,175,683 times
Quality education, of course, is first and foremost.
Availability of classes - A good array of different classes.
Good math and science classes.
Good teachers. I had teachers that didn't care about me or my education. I want my kids to have a good majority of teachers that care.
We would highly prefer a middle class school district. (Where most families make between $50,000-$100,000/year)
If the school has a decent amount of economic and social diversity, that would be great too.

We'll most likely be buying a new house (either Hearthstone or Celebrity) so our choice of neighborhoods will be somewhat limited.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:22 PM

14,561 posts, read 22,983,451 times
In all honesty, the education is as good as your kid(s) make it. For all the talk about the "under-performing" OPS schools, they offer great programs and opportunity for those who take advantage of it. I'd start off by visiting the OPS website, browsing through the individual school pages and see what looks enticing to you and your kids, and then maybe visiting those schools personally.

http://www.ops.org/

Old 02-27-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerahrtlu View Post
Good teachers. I had teachers that didn't care about me or my education. I want my kids to have a good majority of teachers that care.
We would highly prefer a middle class school district. (Where most families make between $50,000-$100,000/year)
If the school has a decent amount of economic and social diversity, that would be great too.

We'll most likely be buying a new house (either Hearthstone or Celebrity) so our choice of neighborhoods will be somewhat limited.
If this is what you want, you'll want to be in the Millard district. Not necessarily the schools, but the suburbs.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:54 PM
CCJ

55 posts, read 168,111 times
We moved here last summer and our house hunt was between Millard, Papillion/La Vista & Elkhorn. Have you checked out schooldigger or greatschools to research the districts? That is what I did to try and make the best decision for our family. We ended up in Elkhorn, FWIW.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:48 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,661,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerahrtlu View Post

Millard North definitely has all of that.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:18 PM

An easy rule of thumb is this: The further West you go in Omaha, the more "white" and "suburban" the city becomes.

Omaha North, Omaha Central and Omaha South are all in the far East parts of the city, and are very diverse. In fact, your white children might be in the minority at those 3 schools (definitely at North). Get out to Millard South or Elkhorn, and you're not apt to see much of anything but white kids.

Again, it depends on what you want for you and your family. My wife & I chose to live in the East part of Omaha, and have never regretted it.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:44 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,735,491 times
I went to Omaha north, and as a geeky little white girl, i was definitely picked on both due to my race, but also my sex. I hated every second there. I transferred out and went to Bellevue West for the second half of my school years and LOVED it there. Teachers were absolutely great, i even still talk to a couple of them and I graduated nearly 10 years ago. They really care about your child in Bellevue.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:24 AM

8 posts, read 18,469 times
you're not going to get social or racial diversity in the same neighborhood as a hearthstone home. the closest you may come is bellevue. i think they have a few of those pre fab cookie cutter type celebrity homes. bellevue is stigmatized as ghetto by west omahans. however, i think it's just because it's not 99% white like the west omaha schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha