Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 04:15 PM

3,098 posts, read 7,541,313 times

Advertisements

how bout a bus route down west maple road that runs everyday (even on sundays)

and making the buses more green

I think this city should get behind having better public transportation and use it more.

I use the city bus all the time (except on holidays when they dont run)

btw: the routes 2 and 18 are usually full. same with the 8 and 14 and 4 routes

I see the 2 sometimes almost full of passengers everyday (even on sundays)

so I dont want to hear the "always empty" or only 2 seem to be allowed to ride at a time nonsense.

City Seeks Input To Transportation Master Plan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 04:20 PM

btw to busguy:

a metro bus driver told me recently they (METRO)are likely to call the proposed west maple road route being planned

the 6 (since the 6 is the only number between 1 and 15 that isnt being used)

plus considering the 2 and 4

and 5 Bus Route 5 - Omaha Metro

go to westroads, it would make sense to call it route 6

Old 03-03-2011, 05:00 PM

624 posts, read 1,308,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
btw to busguy:

a metro bus driver told me recently they (METRO)are likely to call the proposed west maple road route being planned

the 6 (since the 6 is the only number between 1 and 15 that isnt being used)

plus considering the 2 and 4

and 5 Bus Route 5 - Omaha Metro

go to westroads, it would make sense to call it route 6

You mean the 64 I made up? I'd be surprised if they did it exactly the way I did, but either way, it'd be cool. Personally 64 sounds better and makes more sense. Route 64 drives on Highway 64. Wait, that makes sense, they'd never do that. Oh well, I'll still be pleased.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busguy2010 View Post
You mean the 64 I made up? I'd be surprised if they did it exactly the way I did, but either way, it'd be cool. Personally 64 sounds better and makes more sense. Route 64 drives on Highway 64. Wait, that makes sense, they'd never do that. Oh well, I'll still be pleased.
yes the route 64 u made up might become real as route 6

Old 03-05-2011, 04:01 PM

btw: it could also be called the 12

think about: the 2 and the 12 and the 22 all at westroads (as well as the 4 and 5 http://ometro.com/bus-system/bus-rou...0th-south-96th and 14)

or the 2,4,5,6 and 14 and 22 all at westroads. either one could work.

btw: was on the 4 http://ometro.com/bus-system/bus-routes/maple-fort today.

there were 6 or 7 folks on it early this morning. just mentioning that to those who say only 2 or less folks ride a bus at a time.

with gas prices sky rocketing, I would bet more folks in omaha will be wanting to use the bus system.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:27 PM

11 posts, read 18,373 times
People are so interested in the mass transit here in omaha a total of 10 people showed up for 2 meetings.

Please, the best thing to do to make the transit system more green is to get rid of it. I've seen more then 4 people on a bus at one time a handful of times.
Get some transit vans that fit about 10 people on them (15 with standing room) and run those. The busses are just a nuisance and a waste of money.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:42 PM

624 posts, read 1,308,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dundeeslugger View Post
People are so interested in the mass transit here in omaha a total of 10 people showed up for 2 meetings.

Please, the best thing to do to make the transit system more green is to get rid of it.

I've seen more then 4 people on a bus at one time a handful of times.

Get some transit vans that fit about 10 people on them (15 with standing room) and run those.

The busses are just a nuisance and a waste of money.

That's the problem. People in Omaha don't care about mass transit.

The issue is hardly about making the bus system more green. It's more about making the city as a whole more green by pushing people to use transit, and making the routes better as incentive for people to use the buses.

Every bus I rode today had more than six people on them at once. Unless you actually ride the bus, it's easy to miss all the people sitting on the lower part of the bus, where you can, if at all, hardly see any indication that there's a passenger in the entire front half of the bus, if you're looking in from a car.

They do have those. They used to use them for the regular routes, but they are now used for only the paratransit services. Likely from an increase in on call riders, and them realizing those buses are too small for regular service.

That's typical. But, what can you do? The buses, mass transit in general, aren't going anywhere, and as long as they're here, you're going to pay for it. Why waste your money by not using it? I'm surprised you're saying this after the gas prices have raised and from everything I've heard, they're going to get worse. People that use the bus dont have a fraction of the negative attitude about the system as compared to people that don't utilize it.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:34 PM

817 posts, read 1,768,816 times
Quote:
Part of the problem is the meetings are when people work. If they held the meetings over the weekend, or had one during the week and one on the weekend there would be more interest.

Quote:
I've seen more then 4 people on a bus at one time a handful of times.
Get some transit vans that fit about 10 people on them (15 with standing room) and run those. The buses are just a nuisance and a waste of money.
I have been on the #7 and #15 about a dozen times each this year and the lowest number of people I saw was around 10 (best was almost full on the 15, had to be around 30 people).

Going by your "nuisance" comment, I assume you are not a rider. If you used them for transit I am sure you would not see it that way. Nor would you see it as a waste of money.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:28 PM

11 posts, read 18,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
Part of the problem is the meetings are when people work. If they held the meetings over the weekend, or had one during the week and one on the weekend there would be more interest.

I have been on the #7 and #15 about a dozen times each this year and the lowest number of people I saw was around 10 (best was almost full on the 15, had to be around 30 people).

Going by your "nuisance" comment, I assume you are not a rider. If you used them for transit I am sure you would not see it that way. Nor would you see it as a waste of money.
I have a car and I can go anywhere I want at anytime I want and don't have to walk a couple blocks.
Again, vans are the answer. The busses are too large. Hell I would even recommend giving people who want to do public transportation a taxi card where they can just call a taxi and go where they want to when they want to. The busses are never on time anyway. Typically the bus going down underwood is stopped blocking traffic while the driver is going in to get a snack at the convenience store.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
I have a car and I can go anywhere I want at anytime I want and don't have to walk a couple blocks.
Again, vans are the answer. The busses are too large.

Hell I would even recommend giving people who want to do public transportation a taxi card where they can just call a taxi and go where they want to when they want to.

The busses are never on time anyway. Typically the bus going down underwood is stopped blocking traffic while the driver is going in to get a snack at the convenience store.
I would use a taxi, except it's expensive compared to bus service.

btw:

that is another problem, the drivers needing all these snack or bathroom breaks every hour or so

I took the 5 http://ometro.com/bus-system/bus-routes/north-90th-south-96 (broken link)

yesterday morning (there were 8 folks on it at the time I got on at westroads)

and the driver took a 10 minute break, when ur only supposed to be at westroads for 2 minutes (3 at most)

benson park transit center is worse. the drivers take too long talking to each and creating these 10-15 minute layovers.

it's gotta stop and no wonder people hate the bus system
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: