U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 11:52 AM

816 posts, read 1,412,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
The cigarette smog, yes yes i forgot about that! LOL The only cigarette "smog" that is out there is outside of bars since there's no smoking inside
Yep, then he will deny it adamantly, even with his posts quoted back many times.
Between MountainMen and happygolucky I am not sure which I get a bigger kick out of. I just hope that both are simply posting just to post and don't actually believe what they type .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 12:53 PM

13,879 posts, read 19,057,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
Yep, then he will deny it adamantly, even with his posts quoted back many times.
Between MountainMen and happygolucky I am not sure which I get a bigger kick out of. I just hope that both are simply posting just to post and don't actually believe what they type .
Everyone knows Happy is a troll. Not so much in the destructive "I want to cause havoc on your forum" sense but more "I'm bored so I'm going to act like a dork and get reactions from people to keep me entertained." His schtick is so transparent and ridiculously off the wall that no one would ever take him seriously.

To MountainMen's credit, he appears to have a genuine desire to give an honest take, I just think he's very hyperbolic at makes him sound more off the wall than he is.

Old 05-14-2011, 01:19 PM

906 posts, read 1,531,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
To MountainMen's credit, he appears to have a genuine desire to give an honest take,
Wow, never thought I'd see the day I'd be getting any props from Bosco. Agreed I'm more hyperbolic than most, especially on the smoking issue, which I stand behind. There is a smoking problem in Omaha, whether people want to admit it or not. We can still go round and round on this if you want, and Omahahonors, rezfreak, and Harshbarj can laugh and say it's hilarious and accuse me of being crazy, or we can just drop the issue.

Old 05-14-2011, 01:22 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,684,487 times
I agree let's just drop it. Mountainmen has gotten a lot better lately.

Old 05-14-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
Wow, never thought I'd see the day I'd be getting any props from Bosco.
I try to give credit where credit is due, and while I've disagreed with lots of your posts I've never got the feeling that you were intentionally trying to deceive people. Happy does try to deceive people though, and despite the benign motivations he has, I find that to be pretty despicable.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:51 PM

24 posts, read 25,569 times
To the OP -- if you're still there -- none of those complexes are in a bad part of town. Can't speak to the management, though. That said, you mention you have kids... have you looked at the school systems for each? (Assuming they're of school age?) That could potentially be a deciding factor.

And I just have to comment on the smoking thing. I grew up here, and just moved back after a decade in Austin. While in Austin, I had two children -- the oldest of which is now 5. Only one time, about 2 years ago, did my oldest ever see someone smoke... it was a homeless man, walking around near the Salvation Army where I was taking her to donate old toys. Our conversation:

A: "Mommy, what is he doing?"
Me: "Smoking."
A: "Why?"
Me: "Because he's sad he doesn't have a house."

Fast forward to moving to Omaha last fall. In driving them to school everyday (about a mile drive through the 72nd & Dodge area), on average about 1 in 4 cars contain a driver who is smoking. Never in Austin, 25% of the time here. Unfortunately, the absurd brevity of my Austin answer has come back to haunt me. But to say that Omaha doesn't have a smoking problem is just crazy. Granted, Austin is on the other end of the health spectrum in terms of culture, but this is crazy.

And YES, you can smell it when the person in the car next to you is smoking, because chances are, they've got their cigarette dangling out the window. If you have the vents on in your car... yeah, NOT awesome. (And where? 84th & Dodge.)

(Special note to Mountain... personally, I blame it on the latent self-loathing that comes as the result of growing up in this puritanical culture. Your style might be hyperbolic -- but you're right. Man on the Moon: same goes for the drinking, although I think that's made even worse by the urban spread and the whole "strip mall bar" concept.)

Old 05-16-2011, 09:00 AM

65 posts, read 109,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mctex View Post

Fast forward to moving to Omaha last fall. In driving them to school everyday (about a mile drive through the 72nd & Dodge area), on average about 1 in 4 cars contain a driver who is smoking. Never in Austin, 25% of the time here. Unfortunately, the absurd brevity of my Austin answer has come back to haunt me. But to say that Omaha doesn't have a smoking problem is just crazy. Granted, Austin is on the other end of the health spectrum in terms of culture, but this is crazy.
That's because everyone in Austin chews and eats big toast - it's Texas.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:56 AM

24 posts, read 25,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebr View Post
That's because everyone in Austin chews and eats big toast - it's Texas.
Right, like Austin's patron saint Lance Armstrong, for example.

Clearly, you've never been to Austin. Not even for a football game? What kind of "nebr" are you?

Old 05-18-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctex View Post
Granted, Austin is on the other end of the health spectrum in terms of culture, but this is crazy.
I couldn't find any reliable data broken down by city, but on the state level Nebraska actually ranks slightly better than Texas when it comes to adult smokers.

Just FYI.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:53 AM

177 posts, read 374,003 times
Actually, mctex is probably right about Austin. It is quite different from many other parts of Texas. There are lots of California transplants located there, along with many organic health food stores & vegan restaurants. The green/environmental movement is very strong there. I would guess there are probably less smokers in Austin, since the majority of the locals would really look down on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or