U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-20-2011, 01:37 AM
 
7 posts, read 8,837 times
Reputation: 14

Advertisements

Hey everyone...We have been thinking about a move to Papillion as we have extended family thee and they say its great. We are looking for stable employment(myself in customer service) and good schools for elementary age children. I lived in Alaska so I can do the snow thing but how is commute from Papillion to Omaha?
Also is Papillion too close to Omaha or is it spread out? The reason I ask is my husband wants open field areas and not too city-ish. Also are schools good? And job oortunities are they really as good as they seem on internet? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-20-2011, 02:01 AM
 
Location: Omaha, NE
163 posts, read 320,863 times
Reputation: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexi1975 View Post
Hey everyone...We have been thinking about a move to Papillion as we have extended family thee and they say its great. We are looking for stable employment(myself in customer service) and good schools for elementary age children. I lived in Alaska so I can do the snow thing but how is commute from Papillion to Omaha?
Also is Papillion too close to Omaha or is it spread out? The reason I ask is my husband wants open field areas and not too city-ish. Also are schools good? And job oortunities are they really as good as they seem on internet? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Papillion isn't a traditional suburb. It's very integrated into Omaha itself, especially the southern part of the city, there's not a huge gap, and it's not like Papillion is "out in the boonies" so to speak. I don't have children, and I didn't attend school out here-- allegedly the schools as a whole are pretty strong, but someone with more specific experience can comment in more detail. In my opinion, the schools don't harm children academically (at least relative to the national average,) if there would be any contention, it'd be on a cultural level.

The commute wouldn't be much of a commute, although I'm not sure how you intend to be commuting. Will you be working in Papillion--living in Omaha, or vice versa? Or just in general, are you asking about the travel time from Papillion to Omaha? If the latter, like I said, depending on where you live specifically, you can be 5-10 minutes from Omaha, Papillion is pretty central. There are definitely open spaces in Papillion. But it appears much more rural than it is. You're not that far out into nothingness.

I've worked in customer service my entire time in Omaha, and I've never had an issue finding work. There are tons, and I do mean tons, of franchise stores across the city, especially the western part, places with a high turnover where, if nothing else, you can get your foot in the door and get an honest paycheck. Again, in this regard, I can't speak for Papillion specifically, but I imagine there would be at least a passing similarity.

I've spent a lot of time in Papillion, but hopefully an actual resident can fill in the gaps in what I've said. Oh, and a bit of trivia, for some reason, it's pronounced "puh-pill-yun." Every other use of the word I've seen has been "pa-pee-on" That threw me for a loop when I first moved out here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2011, 02:04 AM
 
29 posts, read 60,254 times
Reputation: 33
Hi, I live in Papillion and it's great! Job opportunities are very good, especially if you're in customer service. There are a lot of stores here (Shadow Lake Towne Center and Market Pointe) as well as call centers that could use good CSRs.

Depending on which part of Papillion you live in and which part of Omaha you're trying to get to, the commute can be anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes, but rarely ever longer than that.

Most of the homes you will find in the Papillion area aren't yet annexed into the city, and there are many open fields in between subdivisions (though a lot of them have For Sale signs on them as Papillion is becoming more developed).

There is still quite a bit of farmland south of Papillion, but the city is pretty much connected to Omaha (by way of La Vista and Ralston, which are also developed suburbs).

If you are really looking to live in a community with more of a detached small-town feel, I would recommend Springfield, though the schools there aren't nearly as good as the Papillion-La Vista school district's.

Papillion definitely doesn't feel like a big city, and I would recommend it to anybody. Due to Offutt Air Force Base in a neighboring suburb (Bellevue) there have been a lot of residents who have been all over the world and decided to retire here (including my parents).

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2011, 02:15 AM
 
816 posts, read 1,415,928 times
Reputation: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexi1975 View Post
Hey everyone...We have been thinking about a move to Papillion as we have extended family thee and they say its great. We are looking for stable employment(myself in customer service) and good schools for elementary age children. I lived in Alaska so I can do the snow thing but how is commute from Papillion to Omaha?
Also is Papillion too close to Omaha or is it spread out? The reason I ask is my husband wants open field areas and not too city-ish. Also are schools good? And job oortunities are they really as good as they seem on internet? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
A lot of what you ask is highly subjective so I'll try my best. The schools around the Omaha area, in general are all good, though some prefer one over the others.

Papillion itself is rather sprawled out with very little medium to high density development (the definition of city sprawl, I KNOW some here will disagree). If your looking for open areas and don't mind having to drive everywhere then Papillion is for you. As I don't live in papillion I can't comment accurately on commute times, but would feel most of the city should be within a 30-40 minute drive if you do the speed limit (as most in the city do not).

Jobs in Omaha are widely available. Now if your wanting a really good job (50k+) then you will have to do a bit more digging and may have to wait a while, but the jobs are there for those with the skills and education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2011, 06:39 AM
 
124 posts, read 105,617 times
Reputation: 25
If your husband is an Alaska outdoorsy type, you might want to consider going north of Omaha, into the Ponca Hills area. Small town in some very rugged, timbered country. It's just north of I-680, making your commute into Omaha pretty fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2011, 11:47 AM
 
7 posts, read 8,837 times
Reputation: 14
Thanks so much for all your input on Papillion and Omaha. That is funny as I did wonder how it was pronounced.... Thanks also for recommending the smaller towns as my husband eventually wants to start a farm as he spent his whole youth doing that in Mexico, but that is eventually. Which brings my next couple questions. How is farming in those areas? Also how is the hispanic culture in those areas as well? . I am sure Omaha is more so than smaller towns but was just curious on its influence in all areas. Thanks again.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2011, 11:54 AM
 
7 posts, read 8,837 times
Reputation: 14
[quote=ManOnTheMoon;18355343] . Sorry quote didnt copy


Well the thing is even though I am originally from San Diego I have lived in Dutch Harbor Alaska for 12 years and got use to the driving there that now when I am in San Diego I cannot stand the commute. I dont want to be on the road all day to go to work. However I do understand work is better in larger towns(Omaha) again just dont wanna be in traffic or commut far, especially in snow, lol....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2011, 02:28 PM
 
124 posts, read 105,617 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexi1975 View Post
Thanks so much for all your input on Papillion and Omaha. That is funny as I did wonder how it was pronounced.... Thanks also for recommending the smaller towns as my husband eventually wants to start a farm as he spent his whole youth doing that in Mexico, but that is eventually. Which brings my next couple questions. How is farming in those areas? Also how is the hispanic culture in those areas as well? . I am sure Omaha is more so than smaller towns but was just curious on its influence in all areas. Thanks again.....
If your husband is Hispanic, he will find a large and vibrant Hispanic population in South Omaha.

Farming is good in Nebraska. But it really depends on what kind of farming you're talking about. So... What kind of farming are you talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2011, 02:06 AM
 
7 posts, read 8,837 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidGeorge View Post
If your husband is Hispanic, he will find a large and vibrant Hispanic population in South Omaha.

Farming is good in Nebraska. But it really depends on what kind of farming you're talking about. So... What kind of farming are you talking about?
Well, my husband is majorly into cows and bulls, haha may sound funny from me as I am not into it but he has experience. In Mexico at one time he had 70 cattle that was a while back am sure his family sold them. He really wants cattle but I also think he has done corn, strawberries, wheat sergo. It would be interesting to see if he actually does it though as to compare the difference in business from Mexico to U.S.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2011, 06:14 AM
 
1,054 posts, read 1,829,585 times
Reputation: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexi1975 View Post
Well, my husband is majorly into cows and bulls, haha may sound funny from me as I am not into it but he has experience. In Mexico at one time he had 70 cattle that was a while back am sure his family sold them. He really wants cattle but I also think he has done corn, strawberries, wheat sergo. It would be interesting to see if he actually does it though as to compare the difference in business from Mexico to U.S.....
Ponca Hills, my friend. I know two of the many Bison ranchers north of Omaha in Douglas or southern Washington counties.. Large, rolling hills that is beyond beautiful..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:16 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top