Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 12:05 PM

4 posts, read 6,025 times

Advertisements

Thank-you for all the advice, really. Especially Bosco55David.

I've been living in Sioux City for a couple of months, but I'm originally from Eastern Kentucky (I know ).

Maybe I should mention that I'm gay and my boyfriend and I will be living in the apartment together. Does this add another dimension, e.i., is it a homophobic part of town?

Thank-you again everyone, I've been very lost..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 12:10 PM

4 posts, read 6,025 times
Plus, I'm only 18. They didn't ask me my age before I made a trip to Omaha for a viewing and to fill out the application. They felt bad, talked to the owner of the property, and made an exception. A lot of places won't let you rent unless you're 19, so, part of me is afraid this is my only shot...

Old 04-03-2011, 12:53 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snicks4ever View Post
Thank-you for all the advice, really. Especially Bosco55David.

I've been living in Sioux City for a couple of months, but I'm originally from Eastern Kentucky (I know ).
If you've spent time in Sioux City, Omaha shouldn't be much culture shock for you. I think you'll be ok.

Quote:
Maybe I should mention that I'm gay and my boyfriend and I will be living in the apartment together. Does this add another dimension, e.i., is it a homophobic part of town?
If you're gay, I'd definitely recommend you stay in the east side of town. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you'd be the subject of constant hate crime if you go west, but the eastern part of the city is definitely more liberal in it's social views and as such, more accepting. There is also a fairly substantial "gay district" just to the south of downtown with it's own clubs and the like.

Between here and the EOmahaForums, we have several members who are gay and living in Omaha. For the most part, they've experienced very little trouble as a result.

Quote:
Thank-you again everyone, I've been very lost..
No problem man. We're here to help. Any questions you have we'll be happy to answer.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:35 PM

906 posts, read 1,810,346 times
Since most of Omaha is car-centric, the safety of your location doesn't matter a whole lot. You won't be spending a lot of time outside at 37th and Dodge. Sure, you CAN walk to Wohlners grocery store at 33rd and Dodge or walk to California Taco at 33rd and California, but you'll be up and down hills and next to heavy traffic. 99% of the time you'll just be getting in your car to go somewhere. I think it would be worth your while to physically check out the building and see firsthand if you'd be comfortable there.

If you're gay, I'd highly recommend living downtown, or just south of downtown, even if you're going to school at UNO. Omaha in general isn't very gay-friendly, but downtown is a LOT more accepting than other areas.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:57 PM

163 posts, read 376,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snicks4ever View Post
Plus, I'm only 18. They didn't ask me my age before I made a trip to Omaha for a viewing and to fill out the application. They felt bad, talked to the owner of the property, and made an exception. A lot of places won't let you rent unless you're 19, so, part of me is afraid this is my only shot...
Yeah, I found that out when I moved here from back east-- you need to be 19 to sign a lease.

As far as homophobia goes, hmm. That's a good question. I'll agree with whoever said that while Omaha isn't necessarily a homophobic town (at least in the sense of what most people think of when they hear the term) but it doesn't embrace its gay side with open arms. This gets truer the farther west you go. People out west can have a little bit of tunnel vision with what they expect from people. I've (unfortunately) heard from both sides of the issue. I have gay friends who have had experiences that have embittered them about their city, as well as friends who have been especially hostile towards gays. It's really sad that so many people still carry that around with them.

A lot of it depends on what level of acceptance or intolerance you're accustomed to. I was kind of surprised when I first moved here, but I come from a traditionally very open and diverse area. I understand the desire (or, more appropriately, the need) for acceptance, and hopefully someone more qualified than me will chime in. As a straight male, I'm not put in a position to be a target of homophobia, so I don't know much about the gay experience in Omaha.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:04 PM

624 posts, read 1,309,472 times
I agree with Bosco. 37th and Dodge is not a bad area. Definitely livable, but "in the city" indeed. If you are young and not affraid of people, then you will be fine. If you like suburbs, then you may want to look somewhere else. If you're going to be living in the area at 38th and Dodge, you definitely will not need a car. Personally, living in this part of town, I wouldn't own a car. Downtown is just a short way to the east. It'll be maybe a 15 minute bike ride, 10 minute bus ride, and you will have Midtown Crossing within five minutes walking distance. Since you'll go to UNO, you may want to ask them about the "Mav Ride" It's a bus card that you can get for free from UNO so you can use the Metro to get to and from school, which would be a 15 minute bus ride on just one bus. If you will consider using the bus, check out www.ometro.com. To get to school, you'd use route #2 westbound, to get home #2 eastbound. The bus goes everywhere you'd need it to, because in that area of town, the bus system is quite good, if you'll need it at all. Most everything is within walking distance. Hope you decide for this area and enjoy it!

Last edited by Busguy2010; 04-03-2011 at 07:15 PM..

Old 04-03-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busguy2010 View Post
To the contrary of what MountainMen said, if you're going to be living in the area at 38th and Dodge, you definitely will not need a car.
Speaking from experience, having lived a few blocks from this corner, I think you are setting him up for failure, or at the very least an unfavorable impression of the city. I most definitely concede that you CAN get by without a car by walking and using the bus, living at 37th/Dodge, but realistically you're going to be in your car 99% of the time.

If you want to live car-free, it would make a lot more sense to live downtown and take the #2 bus to UNO.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:40 PM

624 posts, read 1,309,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
Speaking from experience, having lived a few blocks from this corner, I think you are setting him up for failure, or at the very least an unfavorable impression of the city. I most definitely concede that you CAN get by without a car by walking and using the bus, living at 37th/Dodge, but realistically you're going to be in your car 99% of the time.

If you want to live car-free, it would make a lot more sense to live downtown and take the #2 bus to UNO.
I wrote that before I realized you didn't actually say you would need a car, just implied it would be better to have one, so I edited out "to the contrary...", because I didn't want to/mean to be that guy.

I do agree, if you are going to live in Omaha without a car, downtown is the best choice. But the OP doesn't have that in his options.

I disagree with the unfavorable impression of the city comment. If I lived at 38th and Dodge and rode the bus around, I wouldn't feel like I was missing out on anything. Maybe West Omaha, but I definitely wouldn't consider never seeing West Omaha as missing out. Or at the very least, if any friends are made at UNO, the op would hitch a ride if they're going to West Omaha.

OP, If I were an 18 year old gay male, Dodge street in Midtown is one of the areas I'd most consider. It's in the heart of the most accepting areas of town (east of 72nd in general) If you want a great college experience, living in an appartment in midtown Omaha will give you one of the best. The people there probably won't call you out for being too loud or somking out front or having a party in your room, coming home/leaving at all hours, doing college age activities etc... It's a left wing "hey, do what you want" part of the city.

I just don't want you to fall victim to the whole "you need a car to live in Omaha" mentality. You need a car to live in West Omaha... Very true. But, living in Midtown, you can definitely be just as happy, if not happier without a car. I use the "Pass to Class" that is the Mav Ride equivelent for the community college here in Omaha, and I love it. You don't have to pay a thing. I own a car and would much rather take the bus to school. Only time I ever take my car to school is if I accidently sleep past my bus... I walk ten minutes to get the bus I want, and it's still better to me. At 37th and Dodge, you wouldn't have to walk a block. It's great, you can do your homework on the bus, or just sit and think. You don't have to worry about safety, either Staying up late doing homework and waking up early definitely will impare a person's judgement. Just a personal preference, but as a college student, I know finances can be tight- especially if you're paying rent on a place. The Mav Ride, for you, would be a great way to save 50 or more dollars a month.

Last edited by Busguy2010; 04-03-2011 at 08:02 PM..

Old 04-04-2011, 11:50 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
Since most of Omaha is car-centric, the safety of your location doesn't matter a whole lot. You won't be spending a lot of time outside at 37th and Dodge. Sure, you CAN walk to Wohlners grocery store at 33rd and Dodge or walk to California Taco at 33rd and California, but you'll be up and down hills and next to heavy traffic. 99% of the time you'll just be getting in your car to go somewhere. I think it would be worth your while to physically check out the building and see firsthand if you'd be comfortable there.

If you're gay, I'd highly recommend living downtown, or just south of downtown, even if you're going to school at UNO. Omaha in general isn't very gay-friendly, but downtown is a LOT more accepting than other areas.
Just FYI, he could walk the 4 short blocks or so to Midtown Crossing.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:06 PM

yes, in theory he could/can ... different versions of the same word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: