Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 03:41 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,689,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcku1981 View Post
I wasn't counting on even 5,000 lakes But not even one??

My impression is that Omaha & Nebraska in general lack the overall natural beauty I'm currently accustomed to.

How are the schools, in general, in Omaha. I know like anywhere some districts/ even schools within districts will be better than others - and probably Omaha Public School Districts are near the bottom like most cities- but on average is/would Omaha be a good place to start a family & raise kids?
Well, the area does have a different natural beauty, the hills and bluffs near the Missouri and Elkhorn rivers are very nice to look at for the area. And the sunsets are extremely beautiful in the more open areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 03:57 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,189,580 times
Nebraska is the state with the most miles of river if that is any consolation.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:10 PM

12 posts, read 17,826 times
maybe this is a silly question, but are there camping areas, boating, recreational areas along these rivers? Riverside restaurants, bars, ect?

Old 04-03-2011, 06:48 PM

906 posts, read 1,810,552 times
You might really like the fresh air of Ponca Hills, north of North Omaha, about a 15-20 min drive from downtown. There's a cool catfish restaurant called Surfside on the Missouri River. Dodge Park recreational area is also in that area, which has a boat dock and landing.

Last edited by MountainMen; 04-03-2011 at 06:57 PM..

Old 04-03-2011, 07:47 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,689,318 times
Quote:
maybe this is a silly question, but are there camping areas, boating, recreational areas along these rivers? Riverside restaurants, bars, ect?
Along the Platte there is Mahoney state park and you can see the river from the Hotel, and there is also a Golf course called Quarry Oaks which is absolutely beautiful.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:53 AM

65 posts, read 123,658 times
My brothers live in Minneapolis and I am pretty familiar with the city. I have been living in Omaha for the past four years. If you want more information about the city you can private message me for my contact information. However, to summarize: Omaha is not as urban or culturally progressive as Minneapolis. Omaha has made very significant strides in promoting and revitalizing its urban core in the past decade, and seeing the change in progress is exciting. Midtown is a great area to live if you are looking for something urban, but not downtown. Omaha has excellent restaurants, a thriving arts community, and an excellent local music scene. Unless you are a hunter or bass fisherman, you are probably going to be disappointed in the outdoor activities that are available, especially coming from Minnesota. People do go boating on the Missouri River, but I think of it as being an unsafe and dirty river - Im sure some people would disagree with me. Overall, Omaha is a very livable city and I have no regrets moving here.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:52 AM

Thanks for your responses - I'm excited to get out there and check it out, but I know I won't really have time to really get a feel for the city while I'm there & I'll need to base this decision on my first impressions. Overall it seems like a great, "up & coming" kind of place.

I would certainly love to hear any other insights, impressions, experiences, ect - the good & the bad - especially any more comparisons to Minneapolis & KC as I have lived in both places - along with Houston, but I know thats a totally different animal all together.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:59 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
Thanks for your responses - I'm excited to get out there and check it out, but I know I won't really have time to really get a feel for the city while I'm there & I'll need to base this decision on my first impressions. Overall it seems like a great, "up & coming" kind of place.

I would certainly love to hear any other insights, impressions, experiences, ect - the good & the bad - especially any more comparisons to Minneapolis & KC as I have lived in both places - along with Houston, but I know thats a totally different animal all together.
I lived in Omaha until I was 15, at which point we moved here to Tampa. As cool of a city as Tampa is, I've been wanting to go back to Omaha for quite some time. If you come to Omaha with an open mind I think you'll be pleased.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:21 PM

Out of curiosity - where does Midtown start & downtown end? What are the boundaries of the Mid-town area? Any condo/loft/ apartment suggestions?

Old 04-04-2011, 01:38 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
Out of curiosity - where does Midtown start & downtown end? What are the boundaries of the Mid-town area? Any condo/loft/ apartment suggestions?
Midtown runs from 24th St on the east to Saddle Creek Road on the West and from Cuming St on the North to Center St on the South. Downtown runs from 20th to the River and Leavenworth to Cuming. You also have the Park East neighborhood between Midtown and Downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha