Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 01:53 PM

17 posts, read 25,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperpooper View Post
We are thinking of moving from San Antonio to one of these areas (to be closer to family)…..Des Moines, Sioux Falls, Omaha or Lincoln. You can always find out the best things about a city, but what is the worst? What do you dislike about living in Omaha (besides the weather)?
Having originally lived in MO most of my life I miss the professional sports teams and amusement parks. Worlds of Fun/Oceans of Fun/Six Flags etc. Lack of good paying jobs, employer sided job market. I believe I read that Omaha is 1 per capita with citizens having 2 jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 02:16 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,194,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLADIATOR68005 View Post
Having originally lived in MO most of my life I miss the professional sports teams and amusement parks. Worlds of Fun/Oceans of Fun/Six Flags etc. Lack of good paying jobs, employer sided job market. I believe I read that Omaha is 1 per capita with citizens having 2 jobs.
Trust me, Omaha is not lacking in high-paying jobs. There are 5 fortune 500 companies headquartered here, 9 fortune 1000 companies headquartered here, two division 1 universities, two major research hospitals (one of which is one of the more highly regarded with its own skyline) and numerous other regional headquarters, major data centers etc.

There is a reason why we are #44 for highest paying jobs out of 383, but maintains a cost of living near 12% below the average. This combination of high wages and low cost of living has put the citizens of Omaha in the top 5 overall for standard of living for quite some time.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:52 PM

906 posts, read 1,810,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post
I don't care for it here at all, but I'm of the opinion that since I'm here...and since we won't be going anywhere anytime in the near future that I can foresee, I will have to bloom where I'm planted.
Mostie, life is too short. I hope whatever is keeping you here is worth it.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:34 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,554,658 times
Quote:
LOL

I guess three hours is just too long to drive for some people.

There is no lack of good paying jobs in Omaha, either. Without an education, a person is not likely to find a good paying job ANYWHERE.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:13 PM

696 posts, read 1,726,345 times
Quote:

Gladiator68005 is the one who can't get a good job because of a criminal charge a long time ago.

Seeking FT Employment

Kinda explains their post here.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:43 AM

138 posts, read 264,790 times
Makes a good point tho.
Why doesnt Omaha have an amusement park?
Surely it could support one now.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:03 AM

696 posts, read 1,726,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
Makes a good point tho.
Why doesnt Omaha have an amusement park?
Surely it could support one now.
Then go ahead and build one if you think it will surely make money.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:12 PM

Default High Paying Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
Trust me, Omaha is not lacking in high-paying jobs. There are 5 fortune 500 companies headquartered here, 9 fortune 1000 companies headquartered here, two division 1 universities, two major research hospitals (one of which is one of the more highly regarded with its own skyline) and numerous other regional headquarters, major data centers etc.

There is a reason why we are #44 for highest paying jobs out of 383, but maintains a cost of living near 12% below the average. This combination of high wages and low cost of living has put the citizens of Omaha in the top 5 overall for standard of living for quite some time.

Yea with all these employers, why are they offering recent college graduates $3 over minimum wage. Employers paying $25+ hr jobs are not there.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
LOL

I guess three hours is just too long to drive for some people.

There is no lack of good paying jobs in Omaha, either. Without an education, a person is not likely to find a good paying job ANYWHERE.

Having Lived within an hour of those places, having to drive three hours and six hours round trip is a drag.. So just keep looking for the right fit!!

Old 05-19-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe_T3K View Post
Gladiator68005 is the one who can't get a good job because of a criminal charge a long time ago.

Seeking FT Employment

Kinda explains their post here.
Thanks for reposting my thread, as a matter of fact I've had a pretty good working history since the criminal charge, just as with many of unemployed people in this country I haven't found FT employment and gathering others whose been unemployed for awhile to get there input.

Appreciate it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha