U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 04-30-2011, 02:17 AM

211 posts, read 267,369 times
Default Friday October 24th 1969

Morning edition Omaha World Herald 42 pages 10 cents

Front page headlines

A 69.42 carat diamond ring sold for $1.05 Million. The 3rd largest ever sold at auction.
Eyeglasses found at crime scene may provide a clue to actress Sharon Tate and 4 others.
Transplant of a rats brain tissue in fish indicates that the fish can become as smart in responding to training as lab rats.
Packer Builds Scab Homes - A 2 million housing project being built for strike bound Iowa Beef Packers was labeled as "Scab Town"
Flipping through the pages there's full page retro ads for Brandeis store ads, killer prices on the funky clothing too. Half page ads for name brand liquor.

Dining & Entertainment

Final week famous Turkish belly dancer @ the 20s 7301 Farnum - no cover, no minimum.
Steak dinner under $2.00 @ Bonanza Sirloin Pit 7575 Dodge.
Coming to Lincoln Pershing Auditorium Nov. 7th - Peter, Paul, and Mary - reserved seats $3, $4, and $5
Half pound sirloin steak dinner $1.39 @ Sizzler Steak House 52nd & L.
Cheeta Lounge 7059 Dodge - All Girl Revue, plus the Tons of Fun Girls featuring Cupie Doll & Baby Dimples - 700 LBS of Laughs.
Roller Bowl 3718 Leavenworth - Midwests finest maplewood roller rink.
Cool place too bad they converted it into a uniform place, if it's still that business. Right West of the Marlybone. I grew up 2 blocks from it, skated there often.
Howard Johnson's - Clam & Flounder $1.99 Ham $2.35 Roasted half chicken $2.45 Pot roast $2.65 - all complete meals.
The New Flaming Pit steak house @ the Westroads.
Ads for Gorats, Cantoni's 19th & Leavenworth, Tines 44th & Dodge, Lazy Leopard @ New Tower, Hickory Bar 24th & Hickory - Country Western Fri. & Sat. Nites.
Ringling Bros. Circus reserved seats $2, $3, and $4

Movies

Friday morning was when all the movies were in the paper listing the weekend shows.

Golden Spike Drive Inn *no one under 18 allowed* Inga, The Seargent, The Sweet Body of Deborah.
Fox Theater Westroads & Strand Co. Bluffs - Darby O'Gill & the Little People, The Parent Trap.
Cooper 70 14th & Douglas - Bullit & Bonnie and Clyde $1.60 till 6:00 $2.00 after.
Dundee - Funny Girl. Last week 4th longest run of a movie in Omaha over a year.
Indian Hills - Doctor Zivago $2.00 seats.
Astro 40th & Farnum - Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid.
76th & W. Dodge Drive Inn and Council Bluffs Drive Inn - 5 Feature Cycle-Psyco Spectacular
1. The Wild Angels - Peter Fonda & Nancy Sinatra
2. Angels From Hell
3. The Mini Skirt Mob
4. The Glory Stompers - Dennis Hopper
5. Devil's Angels
Six West @ Westroads - Castle Keep, Last Summer, Those Daring Young Men in Their Jaunty Jalopies, Me Natalie, The Great Bank Robbery, Otis Redding is in Montery (pop festival).
Chief 24th & K - 5 Card Stud w/ Dean Martin
Skyview Drive Inn "states hot electric heaters" - Alice's Restaurant, The Angry Breed, Anyone Can Play.
Center Theater 35th & Center - Rascal
Military Theater 45th & Military - Peter Pan.
Muse 24th & Farnum *adults only rated X* - Gun Runner, The Wicked Die Slow.
Orpheum 16th & Harney - The Good Guys & The Bad Guys.
Omaha 15th & Douglas - Double Shock! Double Thrills! Double Suspense! ... The Boston Strangler, Planet of the Apes.
Roxy in BelleView - Peter Pan.
Cinema Center 82nd & Center - kiddie matinee all seats .75 cents 3 Stooges in Orbit, Clarence the Cross-Eyed Lion. Main feature - Easy Rider.
84th & Center Drive Inn - The Shoes of the Fisherman, The Subject was Roses.
Q Twin-East Drive Inn 120th & Q also at the Capri Drive Inn Carter Lake must be where the City dumps snow/trees? - The Mad Room, Wait Until Dark. Bonus thriller - Vampire Killers.
Q Twin-West Drive Inn - Rascal, Yours, Mine, and Ours.

I wish Omaha had all these theaters still. I had a bunch of old Omaha newspapers, I used to deliver them. It's amusing at times looking through them and seeing what happened then what was called crime, and what crime is now.

It'd be great to turn back the years to food & entertainment costs like these. Enjoy, it took time to write these all down on paper, then type them here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-30-2011, 10:25 AM

10,206 posts, read 8,173,736 times
Thanks for taking the time to do that! Always like to see historical info like this come up on the forum.

Unread 04-30-2011, 12:02 PM

137 posts, read 104,564 times
Rad!
Having been born in 74 I am just barely old enough to remember when Omaha had a bunch of awesome drive ins.

Envy me for seeing the following at them...
Omen double feature
Star Wars
Grease
Moonraker
The Black Hole
Uncommon Valor
(that flick still rules pretty hard)
And Im sure many others.

Now, while I am well aware that many drive-ins acted as adult theaters, I had no idea that Omaha had this...
Quote:
Golden Spike Drive Inn *no one under 18 allowed* Inga, The Seargent, The Sweet Body of Deborah.
Wow!

Futhermore.....

Quote:
76th & W. Dodge Drive Inn and Council Bluffs Drive Inn - 5 Feature Cycle-Psyco Spectacular
1. The Wild Angels - Peter Fonda & Nancy Sinatra
2. Angels From Hell
3. The Mini Skirt Mob
4. The Glory Stompers - Dennis Hopper
5. Devil's Angels
Is pretty much the coolest thing Ive read all week.
What I wouldnt give for a time machine.
Kill Hitler? Yeah dude, I'll get around to that. Right now Im gonna go watch a bunch of Hells Angels flicks at a drive in in Omaha in 1969.

Unread 04-30-2011, 12:03 PM

Also....

Quote:
Cinema Center 82nd & Center - kiddie matinee all seats .75 cents 3 Stooges in Orbit, Clarence the Cross-Eyed Lion. Main feature - Easy Rider.
Those kids that stick around for the main feature are gonna have their minds blown/be bored senseless.

Unread 04-30-2011, 12:06 PM

Oh and plz scan and post all the pages :P

Unread 05-01-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanSand View Post
Steak dinner under $2.00 @ Bonanza Sirloin Pit 7575 Dodge.
I wonder if this was the same location that was a part of the Bonanza/Ponderosa chain until they left the Omaha market in the 90's.

Unread 05-01-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
Oh and plz scan and post all the pages :P
I bet the kids would have freaked out seeing Easy Rider too, but it wasn't included in the matinee deal. Let me know what you want to see. The papers full sized not shrunk down like they are now, no color but I can take shots with the camera. The movies ads alone is 3 pages with the movie pics, kinda fragile too.
I have some from the mid 70's that have color, and special edition papers.

That location is the same for Bonanza, but back then they had a more upscale name so to speak. Actually, eating there years ago was good & cheap. Sure it wasn't Gorat's, Piccolo Pete's, Angie's, or Caniglia's.

Unread 05-01-2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanSand View Post
That location is the same for Bonanza, but back then they had a more upscale name so to speak. Actually, eating there years ago was good & cheap. Sure it wasn't Gorat's, Piccolo Pete's, Angie's, or Caniglia's.
We had a Ponderosa here in St. Pete up until about a year ago. The food was actually surprisingly good. You're right in that it definitely wasn't gourmet food, but it was alot like CiCi's pizza in that you could get good food for relatively cheap prices. I know the Bonanza on West Broadway in Council Bluffs morphed into a USA Steak Buffet for a couple years as well.

Unread 05-02-2011, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
CiCi's pizza - good food for relatively cheap prices.
That's like here, cheap decent pizza that will fill you up. It's funny eating there since few will bite on the pizza's that have a couple of toppings, or have been sitting there. Once they call up a good fresh one, everybody gets in line and it's gone.
I see Miami has a Bonanza still, Greater Orlando area has 5 Ponderosa's to feed the tourists.

Did you when you lived in Omaha (or anyone else currently), ever eat or remember North's Chuckwagon Buffet that was on Center St. ? It was close to where we lived, and my parents could feed 5 kids there cheap. They had good chow, not too many buffets around then.
Located on the South side of the street sat between the Center Bank (44th & Center), and the library. I remember it closed, then turned into a Mexican restaurant years later that was pretty good.

Unread 05-07-2011, 09:30 PM

3 posts, read 4,990 times
Chuckwagon Buffet Rocked! I was just a kid, but I thought that place was the greatest ever! I think now it's a drugstore or something - haven't been in that area in a long time.

Another one I miss is the Short Stop that was just north of 42nd and L. They had really good food. You could tell that lots of folks from Aksarben Race Track went there, I remember lots of pictures of winning horses around that place. Good food. Too bad it's not around anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha