U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 12:15 PM

2,763 posts, read 4,671,117 times

Advertisements

Yeah dundee to Offutt would be pretty impossible via bike unless he wants to leave at midnight to go to work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 01:40 PM

409 posts, read 582,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
I lived in Fairfax, VA for a few years, and I can tell you the biggest factor to deter you from bicycling here in Omaha is the weather. While you can ride your bike in Northern VA nearly year-round, in Omaha you're only going to want to ride it about 10 days of the year. Either strong winds, extreme heat, or extreme cold will make you say "lets take the car today". Unless you are married to Lance Armstrong, he will not want to ride his bike from Dundee to Offutt more than once. The walkability within Dundee is excellent, though, and it is even more-so downtown.
Well, I'm thinking of doing a lot of "light biking", like to the store if it's less than a mile or so, but more than a quick walk, for every day kind of stuff. That kind of thing.

But as for the heat, you used to live here, is Omaha worse than NoVA in the summer? Based on various indices, it looked like the temps and humidity in the area were comparable. I know winter is worse there, but I've lived in Wisconsin and Minnesota, so I'm not worried about that.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:25 PM

816 posts, read 1,414,781 times
Quote:
I lived in Fairfax, VA for a few years, and I can tell you the biggest factor to deter you from bicycling here in Omaha is the weather. While you can ride your bike in Northern VA nearly year-round, in Omaha you're only going to want to ride it about 10 days of the year. Either strong winds, extreme heat, or extreme cold will make you say "lets take the car today". Unless you are married to Lance Armstrong, he will not want to ride his bike from Dundee to Offutt more than once. The walkability within Dundee is excellent, though, and it is even more-so downtown.
You'll want to disregard our local troll MountainMen. He really knows a LOT about nothing (aka, typical troll and the same one who keeps claiming Omaha has a smog problem coupled with a cigarette smoke/smog problem). I ride my bicycle year round and can say Omaha has nice cycling weather about 70% of the year. If you have a good coat and have good tires then that can be extended to over 90%.

A ride from dundee to offut is actually VERY doable in about 2 hours (for me and I am a SLOW cyclist. Google suggests it would take about an hour on that same path). I would jump on to south 24th and then end up on ft. crook. That will take you almost to the front door of the AFB.

Last edited by harshbarj; 05-06-2011 at 03:34 PM..

Old 05-06-2011, 10:08 PM

906 posts, read 1,533,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteRJ View Post
But as for the heat, you used to live here, is Omaha worse than NoVA in the summer? Based on various indices, it looked like the temps and humidity in the area were comparable.
As far as summer goes, the highs are a little higher in Omaha but for not as long of a duration. For a few weeks in July/August, it can get above 100 degrees regularly. For me, the weather in Northern VA was a lot more comfortable during the summer, but summer seemed to last longer too. Anything else I can help with let me know.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:53 AM

6,123 posts, read 6,421,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteRJ View Post
While Im hoping for a walkable/rideable neighborhood, I am realistic in my expectations of what can be found in almost any American city. We could all do better, but it sounds as if Omaha could do a whole lot worse. And its certainly better than what Im used to now! I used to bike to work here, until a semi ran me off the road and I decided that Id rather slowly kill myself in my car. I dont know if youre familiar at all with the DC area, but the equivalent neighborhood around here to Dundee/Happy Hollow seems to be parts of Arlington where a small house with no basement costs $800k. Oof.

Heres a long shot question for you Can you get to Offutt AFB via surface streets? I know bike lanes would be a lot to ask, but my husband was wondering if he at least *could* make the trip. Google maps makes it look doable. Im not sure that hed be willing to do some 15 miles in a morning, but hes also still thinking that Belleview and Papillion are worth looking at.

Appreciate the links - thank you!
If you are open to Bellevue and Papillion, it would be good to take a look at them. Neither one is going to give you the "urban" feel of Dundee, but they are great places to live. If you are interested in light biking to stores, that could easily be done in either place. You can find almost anything you might need. Plus, your husband would be able to get on the bike trails (Papio, Keystone, Bellevue loop) and ride to work if he wanted. The trail takes you right by Offutt. There is a wide variety of housing options and prices and schools are good in both areas. It wouldn't be as close to UNO and UNMC, obviously, but it is an easy drive to both places, and the roads are taken care of better than in Omaha.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:05 AM

3,340 posts, read 8,690,173 times
Well, Bellevue probably has some older neighborhoods you could move into as well.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:53 AM

4 posts, read 5,227 times
I don't think he would want to bike to Offut AFB from Dundee...or I should say it would be really frustrating. And honestly, I don't know that Dundee is even the right fit for a young family. My brother who is in his 30s & single, LOVES Dundee because it is a very trendy little area with lots of young singles. I live in midtown, but we are about to move out of state for the military. I'm glad we are leaving though because I honestly wouldn't put my kid in an Omaha school...and I love Omaha. Have you thought about moving to Bellevue? It's wonderful!

Old 05-07-2011, 12:27 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,828,300 times
Quote:
As far as summer goes, the highs are a little higher in Omaha but for not as long of a duration. For a few weeks in July/August, it can get above 100 degrees regularly. For me, the weather in Northern VA was a lot more comfortable during the summer, but summer seemed to last longer too. Anything else I can help with let me know.
That's not correct, actually. We hit do not 100 degrees every year. When we do reach 100, it usually lasts for a week at most. Humidity here is ranges from desert levels to high, but never exceeds the humidity levels of North Carolina.

I actually enjoy your trolling Mountain Men.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:12 PM

906 posts, read 1,533,475 times
I'm glad you guys learned a new word, but I'm not quite sure you understand the idea of trolling. I have never posted spam, malicious links, or inflammatory comments. Criticism of Omaha is not trolling. Identifying problems in the city is not trolling. This is a open forum where everyone is free to speak, even those whose opinions disagree with your own.

Last edited by MountainMen; 05-07-2011 at 07:37 PM..

Old 05-07-2011, 08:14 PM

624 posts, read 1,101,765 times
Quote:
I'm glad you guys learned a new word, but I'm not quite sure you understand the idea of trolling. I have never posted spam, malicious links, or inflammatory comments. Criticism of Omaha is not trolling. Identifying problems in the city is not trolling. This is a open forum where everyone is free to speak, even those whose opinions disagree with your own.
Right, but tempurature isn't arguable. I suppose reccolection of tempurature could be, but I think most people in Omaha wouldn't tell an out of towner that it regularly gets above one-hundred degrees. It does from time to time. I don't think it did last year. It's gotten above one-hundred before, but definitely never regularly more than a few times a summer. Ninetys are very common for a hot Omaha summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or