U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 12:25 PM

24 posts, read 25,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteRJ View Post
Is the IB program at the middle and high school closed to kids who didnít go through the Aldrich program? I guess I was assuming that somebody could go to any one of the schools that feeds into Millard Middle and then enter the program there. So youíd have a lot of kids dropping into the program at the same time, not just your girls. But if you have to be at Aldrich to proceed, thatíd be nice to know.

Heh, Iím with you, I over think plenty of things too. Consider yourself lucky in that youíve settled on IB as the best, must-have education for your kids. I still believe there are many paths to a whole person education.

If nothing else, though, this conversation has gotten me to look more closely at Millard offerings. And with housing prices being cheaper out there, there are some tempting pickings.
Ha! If only I were that sold. I think it's the best option for us, given our philosophy, living in Omaha. The great thing about living in the Midwest is it does allow for a sense of "growing roots"; but I think it's wise to temper that with a healthy dose of "spreading wings" -- thus the IB emphasis.

I would recommend taking a look at the Millard district. They also have a Montessori program, too. OPS has a language magnet program that we looked at (for Spanish), but it just didn't look like the right learning environment for our kids. (The 1st grade class we observed seem to involve a lot of lecture, and I don't know that would be good transition for our Montessori pre-schooled girls.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Oh, and you could solve the Spanish problem by letting the girls take French, German, Japanese, or Latin instead in Middle school. Or is Spanish a required language for IB Middle? We're starting the boys on French early on our own, since we both speak it. There are also some great homeschooling language programs out there if you were willing to do the Spanish on your own - you don't need to know the language yourself. I have a friend who is teaching her six year old on Latin, and they're learning it together.

No advice on the socially awkward years. Though I'd hope that IB students are open minded enough to handle new kids in the class!
I don't actually know if Spanish is the requirement for IB middle... but what I do know is that they had to enhance the Spanish curriculum at the middle because of the elementary kids coming in with exposure to it. Like I said, I still have some investigating to do!

The girls take French in their school now, and I speak Spanish. (Our oldest was in a Spanish immersion pre-K IB in Austin last year, so she's doing fairly well as it is on the elementary level.) So I'm not really afraid of the language requirement... it's more the social transitioning than anything else.

You are right, you would hope that the IB curriculum is promoting open minds. But something else to know about Omaha... while it's grown a lot in the last 10 years, it's still got a small-town feel -- especially depending on the part of town. There are a lot of folks who define themselves by where they went to high school. There's not a lot of entrepreneurship in Omaha, so most of the big money is multi-generational, and it results in something that can feel almost like a funky caste system in a way. (Especially for the kiddos where it never occurs to them that there's a whole great big world out there, ready for the taking!) It's mostly harmless, but something I over-analyze. Very different from what we had in Austin, where no one is from there. It's another reason I'm gravitating towards the IB community. I'm guessing the people that would choose this for their children are least likely to be of that mindset.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:28 PM

409 posts, read 582,622 times
Do you happen to know the IB philosophy about homework in the earlier grades? I can find forums and such for the older kids (make 'em work, I say!) but I know that several European systems delay homework in the younger years, and it would be nice to know if that mindset is reflected in the primary IB program.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Do you happen to know the IB philosophy about homework in the earlier grades? I can find forums and such for the older kids (make 'em work, I say!) but I know that several European systems delay homework in the younger years, and it would be nice to know if that mindset is reflected in the primary IB program.
I don't know the IB primary years philosophy as a whole; I'm guessing it varies by school.

What I can tell you is that at the private IB school my daughter attended in Austin, there was a light homework load.

The challenge with public IB schools is that they still -- first and foremost -- have to meet whatever state requirements exist. I asked the homework question at Aldrich, and they said that there was a homework requirement at some point. They quoted the nightly time requirement -- which escapes my mind at the moment -- but I distinctly remember that it wasn't unreasonable.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:23 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,694,847 times
Well, with IB a lot of people go to their assigned elementary school then go to MNMS for IB so your girls would be fine. And there are also a ton of elementary schools that feed into MNMS so everyone is a bit awkward at first but with my 5th grade class (Morton Elementary) of the 35 or so kids who went to MNMS, about half did IB and half didn't.

As for language, in Middle School only French, German and Spanish are offered, then why you reach MNHS Latin and Japanese are added. And there are no language requirements for IB, and actually in 6th grade your girls will take a trimester (Middle school is divided into 6 "Hexters") of each of the 3 languages offered to see which they prefer. Another thing, 6th is the toughest year of Middle school MYP at MNMS due to the homework load.

But a huge benefit that your girls will get from IB is the exposure to a variety of cultures. I got to know and be friends with people from all parts of China, India, the Middle East and Africa. It was a very eye opening experience for me and a lot of them are still good friends to me today.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:30 PM

306 posts, read 600,140 times
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but there's apparently a site now where you can check recent sales in Douglas County neighborhoods:

Curbwise.com - Douglas County home sales and property valuations

Old 05-24-2011, 08:50 AM

409 posts, read 582,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessep28 View Post
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but there's apparently a site now where you can check recent sales in Douglas County neighborhoods:

Curbwise.com - Douglas County home sales and property valuations
Thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or