U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-05-2011, 07:31 PM

1 posts, read 502 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any thoughts on living in:

Radial Hills - approx. NW Radial Highway to 42nd from Hamilton to Parker

Columbus Park -20th to 28th from Leavenworth to Martha

I am interested in a couple of houses in those areas and would like to have some opinions. I am a single guy so children/schools won't be an issue. I like the idea of buying in an up and coming area.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 09:30 PM

474 posts, read 776,491 times
Out of the two areas I think that Columbus Park is probably the more "up and coming". It is pretty close to downtown, the old market, South 13th Street, and South 24th Street. The area on Leavenworth Street has some head shop/bodegas, the two best breakfast places in town, an African Grocery, the Habitat For Humanity Community Restore (which is an AWESOME place to get all sorts of reclaimed building materials on the cheap), and one of the sketchiest liquor stores in the city. The area right around All Nations Grocery is pretty rough. I'm certainly one who is a big fan of east Omaha. I love it, but those couple of blocks can get nasty. Whores, drug dealers, and boarded up buildings are common. With that being said, my wife and I would have no problem living in that area. Just be smart and avoid what needs to be avoided. The area around Midtown Crossing is also getting gentrified but there are still PLENTY of deals on fixer uppers in that area.

Last edited by laserdisque; 05-05-2011 at 09:51 PM..

Old 05-05-2011, 11:40 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,010,628 times
I have to agree that Columbus Park is the more "up and coming" of the two options you gave. I would pick that one for the same reasons as laserdisque. Very close to DT with a very eclectic neighborhood around it. I think the area between St. Mary's and Levenworth is poised to explode in this decade and you wont be to far from that if you chose Columbus Park.

Radial Hills doesn't have the same potential b/c it isn't close enough to any areas that have a high potential. The two closest areas that are about to see redevelopment are Benson's main strip or the old Target off of Saddle Creek and both of those are further from Radial Hills than Columbus Park is from the Old Market.

Just my two cents on the matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha