Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 09:50 PM

906 posts, read 1,807,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busguy2010 View Post
I think the reason they no longer put route numbers on the signs is because bus routes change so often that they cover up route numbers with white tape and that looks trashy.
Part of the confusion comes from the routes changing. Why do they change at all? I understand adding a route, or taking away a route nobody uses, but why change where a current route goes? If there was some stability in the system, we could have route #'s, maps, and stop times at every stop. Then I could see more people using the bus. Until then, it is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 10:39 PM

624 posts, read 1,307,211 times
Bus routes are meant to change and move to where the demand is and are also affected by road configuration changes and other things not within the control of a transit agency. They try to serve everybody the best they can and that requires a route to change often.

What I don't understand is why some believe that's what our system needs to be effective. The only reason I can think of is that people expect to go to a bus stop and be able to go where they want to go with information provided at the stop. That's too much to expect. Why waste the money to put up signs that will be thrown away after a few years and replaced when you have a website that posts the most up to date information at a fraction of the cost? Why would people expect this when Metro carries route schedules/maps on the buses and when www.ometro.com and their phone number(which can be called to find route information) are posted on all bus stops, and on every bus. Reasonably, Metro shouldn't have to post info at all stops when they have the website and the phone number to call, but they should do more advertising. Not everybody notices the website on the back of the bus (although with all of the complaining of being stuck behind a dirty smelly bus, you'd think they would) or walks by a stop, so they should do media advertising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha