U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2011, 04:16 PM

138 posts, read 218,307 times

Advertisements

"You get to the point where you evolve in your life where everything isn't black and white, good and bad, and you try to do the right thing. You might not like that. You might be very cynical about that. Well, **** it, I don't care what you think. I'm trying to do the right thing. "I'm tired of Republican-Democrat politics. They can take the job and shove it. I come from a blue-collar background. I'm trying to do the right thing, and that's where I'm going with this."

— Republican (!!) Senator Roy McDonald. on his support of gay marriage in New York

Old 06-17-2011, 04:31 PM

138 posts, read 218,307 times
Thing is, cliche as it may sound at this point, the homophobes are on the wrong side of history. And at this point equality is not only inevitable but its full arrival is accelerating all the time.

I'm 36. The change just since my mid-20s in people's acceptance of gays has been HUGE. And if you talk to kids now (the real ones, not the looney home-schooled evangelical nutcase kids) a lot of them are perplexed that it was ever an issue in the first place.

The bigots now are like the bigots complaining about school integration in the 60s, but with one truly delicious difference: the internet doesnt forget, guys. You are on record right now and you'll never be able to escape your ignorance.

Fun side item on this btw:

Old 06-17-2011, 04:57 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,827,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
Thing is, cliche as it may sound at this point, the homophobes are on the wrong side of history. And at this point equality is not only inevitable but its full arrival is accelerating all the time.

I'm 36. The change just since my mid-20s in people's acceptance of gays has been HUGE. And if you talk to kids now (the real ones, not the looney home-schooled evangelical nutcase kids) a lot of them are perplexed that it was ever an issue in the first place.

The bigots now are like the bigots complaining about school integration in the 60s, but with one truly delicious difference: the internet doesnt forget, guys. You are on record right now and you'll never be able to escape your ignorance.

Good points!

Old 06-18-2011, 09:22 AM

3,096 posts, read 6,460,433 times
say where does the Platte Intstitue (a dubious to say the least politcally conservative group in Nebraska

and the willow creek association churches in the omaha area stand regarding Eric Elnes and his Pro Gay Marriage group?

Old 06-20-2011, 08:33 AM

6,486 posts, read 5,669,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post

That would be relevant only if skin color was actually equal to sexual preference. But who are the haters here? We're not the ones throwing out the insults and calling people bigots because they disagree with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
Calvinist. I understand what it is that you are doing. You want to be sure that your actions do not put you to hell by allowing behavior you view to be wrong. That is fine and you have your opionion, but it is really sad to believe that a person would force their religious practice on unwilling people.
How is living by my conscience any worse than you forcing your beliefs on me? I'm not the one trying to change the definition of marriage and force everyone to live by my definition of it.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebr View Post
Did she know that you're a bigot?
that is rude and obnoxious. You need to learn to not take things so personal. I'm sorry if my views about marriage differ from you, but apparently unlike you, my views aren't based in hate.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:11 AM

13,903 posts, read 19,076,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
How is living by my conscience any worse than you forcing your beliefs on me?
Because your conscience results in people of the same sex being denied the right to enter into a legally recognized marriage with one another.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Because your conscience results in people of the same sex being denied the right to enter into a legally recognized marriage with one another.
So? Who are you to say differently? Why do you think you can force your views on me?

Old 06-20-2011, 09:50 AM

65 posts, read 109,715 times
Quote:
that is rude and obnoxious. You need to learn to not take things so personal. I'm sorry if my views about marriage differ from you, but apparently unlike you, my views aren't based in hate.
It's true, I do take it personally when someone is trying to deny some of my friends and family members equal protection under the Constitution.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:26 AM

13,903 posts, read 19,076,418 times
Quote:
So? Who are you to say differently? Why do you think you can force your views on me?
Because "my" view doesn't result in anyone's rights being taken away, like yours do. In fact, my views being imposed have absolutely zero tangible effect on your life or anyone else's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or