U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-15-2011, 09:19 AM
 
Location: Omaha Nebraska and dreamland when I am sleeping
2,915 posts, read 3,989,140 times
Reputation: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
I think most of us here are really tired of your self-righteous religious arrogance and your complete lack of compassion for anyone who doesn't think or act or worship like you. You've proven that time and time again over the years. I'm beginning to believe that you use Christianity to mask some very deeply rooted character issues.

lack of compassion? according to u guys on the left, I guess JESUS was intolerant when he said


John 14:6

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.


and according to Countryside Community Church of Omaha and First United Methodist Church of Omaha and dozens of other liberal churches

JESUS was a bigot for saying that in the bible.

 
Old 06-15-2011, 09:23 AM
 
Location: Tampa, Florida
10,920 posts, read 9,548,534 times
Reputation: 5808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
1. There is no actual discrimination based on sexual preference
You do realize that statement is just as stupid today as it was 2 years ago when you started making it? And I mean that in the absolute, most literal meaning of the word "stupid". We're talking near unfathomable levels of stupidity here. Being a follower of John Calvin means you're basically required to have your head up your ass, but you're really starting to abuse that privilege.

Quote:
Sexual preference is not recognized by Nebraska's legal system when it comes to marriage. It just simply isn't even questioned. Everyone has the exact same rights.
Equally stupid, with factual inaccuracy sprinkled on top.

Quote:
Marriage; same-sex relationships not valid or recognized.
Only marriage between a man and a woman shall be valid or recognized in Nebraska. The uniting of two persons of the same sex in a civil union, domestic partnership, or other similar same-sex relationship shall not be valid or recognized in Nebraska.
Nebraska Legislature
 
Old 06-15-2011, 09:34 AM
 
6,486 posts, read 3,036,832 times
Reputation: 1240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
You do realize that statement is just as stupid today as it was 2 years ago when you started making it? a
Funny how you've never been able to counter the argument. What does that say?
Quote:
And I mean that in the absolute, most literal meaning of the word "stupid". We're talking near unfathomable levels of stupidity here. Being a follower of John Calvin means you're basically required to have your head up your ass, but you're really starting to abuse that privilege.
I'm not a follower of John Calvin. I think he was a great theologian but he made some mistakes. But we're not discussing John Calvin.
Quote:
Equally stupid, with factual inaccuracy sprinkled on top.


Nebraska Legislature

1. Does that mention the word "gay" or "homosexual"? Last time I checked, we all had to live by that law regardless of our preferences. But nevermind that...if you want to play the victim card...knock yourself out. Don't let common sense stop you.
 
Old 06-15-2011, 09:49 AM
 
137 posts, read 123,474 times
Reputation: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Funny how you've never been able to counter the argument. What does that say?

I'm not a follower of John Calvin. I think he was a great theologian but he made some mistakes. But we're not discussing John Calvin.



1. Does that mention the word "gay" or "homosexual"? Last time I checked, we all had to live by that law regardless of our preferences. But nevermind that...if you want to play the victim card...knock yourself out. Don't let common sense stop you.
Yeah, if you want to play the semantics game, homosexuals have the same rights as heterosexuals...to marry people of the opposite sex.

But that's wildly disingenuous.

Also this silly notion that "intolerance of MY intolerance is...INTOLERANCE" is something we should stamp out more often when we see it. You're free to believe whatever superstitious nonsense you want. It's when you try to use your fairy tales as a metric to interfere with the lives and rights of others that that becomes an issue. Society doesnt owe you the means to push other people around. Regardless of what some goat-herders living in the Bronze Age may or may not have written (from their vast perspective and clearly all-encompassing worldview) millennia ago.
 
Old 06-15-2011, 09:55 AM
 
65 posts, read 72,003 times
Reputation: 45
This is great news! Omaha becoming a more accepting environment is good for the city and the Midwest in general. I am really hoping that over the next decade fewer gay people will feel the need to leave Omaha. Hopefully a strong community can be developed that can further influence the great changes that we have already seen happen in this city over the last ten years. Acceptance and diversity is something that young people look for in deciding to move to a different city. If we do not have these things we will continue to struggle with brain drain.

By the way, Calvinist, I thought you were going to move. That will only make our city even more attractive to young people with an education!!
 
Old 06-15-2011, 09:58 AM
 
6,486 posts, read 3,036,832 times
Reputation: 1240
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
Yeah, if you want to play the semantics game, homosexuals have the same rights as heterosexuals...to marry people of the opposite sex.

But that's wildly disingenuous.
But it's the truth. How do we legislate according to sexual attraction? Why should same-gender marriage be legal for a small group that claims it?
Quote:
Also this silly notion that "intolerance of MY intolerance is...INTOLERANCE" is something we should stamp out more often when we see it. You're free to believe whatever superstitious nonsense you want. It's when you try to use your fairy tales as a metric to interfere with the lives and rights of others that that becomes an issue. Society doesnt owe you the means to push other people around. Regardless of what some goat-herders living in the Bronze Age may or may not have written (from their vast perspective and clearly all-encompassing worldview) millennia ago.
pot...kettle. Your little rant here demonstrates a huge lack of tolerance. You've completely misrepresented the Christian religion in order to make fun of it. You should try not to hate so much.
 
Old 06-15-2011, 10:20 AM
 
137 posts, read 123,474 times
Reputation: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Why should same-gender marriage be legal for a small group that claims it?
Why shouldnt it?

And once more, the burden of proof is on you, not me to provide evidence for your assertion that there are deities. I dont feel like hashing up that old discussion again and it never gets anyone anywhere anyway, but in absence of evidence for supernatural claims I am absolutely allowed to call them out as superstitious nonsense because they plainly are. The natural world and its laws shouldnt be governed by stunted interpretations of the imagined intentions of invisible sky buddies. And I dont hate the religious. I also don't coddle their delusions.
 
Old 06-15-2011, 10:44 AM
 
Location: Tampa, Florida
10,920 posts, read 9,548,534 times
Reputation: 5808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Funny how you've never been able to counter the argument. What does that say?
To "counter the argument" would require that you actually had one to begin with and not this pain inducing level of logical failure that you keep trotting out. BUT since you want to go down that road, I'll play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist
1. There is no actual discrimination based on sexual preference
Quote:
Definition of DISCRIMINATION (Merriam-Webster)

1
a : the act of discriminating b : the process by which two stimuli differing in some aspect are responded to differently

3
a : the act, practice, or an instance of discriminating categorically rather than individually

b : prejudiced or prejudicial outlook, action, or treatment
Passing a law that only recognizes the marriage between same sex couples satisfies all those of those definitions for discrimination.

Consider your argument countered.

Quote:
I'm not a follower of John Calvin. I think he was a great theologian but he made some mistakes. But we're not discussing John Calvin.
Really?!?

Quote:
I don't actually go to a "calvinist church", in as much as I agree with his theology of predestination.
(we'll come back to that one by the way)

Quote:
I identify myself as a Calvinist
http://www.city-data.com/forum/15560316-post86.html

Quote:
I am a Calvinist, yes.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/19077356-post69.html

The next time you try to bull**** someone, you might not do it to someone smart enough to work the search feature on a VBulletin forum. And believe me, we are absolute going to go down the road of shining the spotlight on the whack ass philosophies you Calvinists believe in.

Quote:
1. Does that mention the word "gay" or "homosexual"? Last time I checked, we all had to live by that law regardless of our preferences. But nevermind that...if you want to play the victim card...knock yourself out. Don't let common sense stop you.
Last time I checked same sex marriage = homosexuality.

Last edited by Bosco55David; 06-15-2011 at 11:24 AM..
 
Old 06-15-2011, 11:00 AM
 
Location: Midtown Omaha
1,163 posts, read 950,918 times
Reputation: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
lack of compassion? according to u guys on the left, I guess JESUS was intolerant when he said


John 14:6

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.


and according to Countryside Community Church of Omaha and First United Methodist Church of Omaha and dozens of other liberal churches

JESUS was a bigot for saying that in the bible.
Quoting the Bible in any kind of argument is an awful tactic. That book is NOT a historical record especially the new testament. The new testament is basically propaganda that the Council of Nicea edited to fit what they wanted christianity to be, not what actually happened.
 
Old 06-15-2011, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Omaha Nebraska and dreamland when I am sleeping
2,915 posts, read 3,989,140 times
Reputation: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
Quoting the Bible in any kind of argument is an awful tactic. That book is NOT a historical record especially the new testament. The new testament is basically propaganda that the Council of Nicea edited to fit what they wanted christianity to be, not what actually happened.

iamjacob, u ever heard of a Simon Greenleaf? he proved the NT is historical. maybe you should do some research into Greenleaf who was one of the chief figures in the early days of the Harvard Law School



and have you read Lee Strobel and his book the case for christ (a book BTW that Countryside Community Church of Omaha Nebraska and First Central Congreagational Church of Omaha members are told never to read)


because they are brainwashed with Bart Ehrman 's propaganda all the time in sunday school
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top