U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-24-2011, 08:31 AM

6,486 posts, read 3,134,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Your understanding of our system of checks and balances is as vacant as your brain cavity.
Try to lose your typical liberal "government exists to care for me" with the "living constitution" mindset and you might see the point.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:42 AM

10,966 posts, read 9,846,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Try to lose your typical liberal "government exists to care for me" with the "living constitution" mindset and you might see the point.
If you're going to throw out talking points, at least make sure they are applicable to the situation.

Quote:
Is that relevant? Do we legislate simply based on that? Should we make rape in Missoula, MT legal simply because it will never, ever impact 99.9% of Americans?
That was dumb. Even for you.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:47 AM

2,534 posts, read 1,041,569 times
Quote:
Did I say that I did? Don't put words in my mouth.
You said, and I'm paraphrasing, not quoting, that if we're going to legalize gay marriage, why not go ahead and legalize murder, too. That is, effectively, equating the two things. I need not put words in your mouth, you do a fine job of that yourself.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:51 AM

2,534 posts, read 1,041,569 times
Quote:
Is that relevant? Do we legislate simply based on that?
Actually, we do. It's called standing. The impact on your life, or lack thereof, is important when it comes to your opinion mattering, or you being consulted.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
You said, and I'm paraphrasing, not quoting, that if we're going to legalize gay marriage, why not go ahead and legalize murder, too. That is, effectively, equating the two things. I need not put words in your mouth, you do a fine job of that yourself.
You should paraphrase correctly next time. The point is that we can, and do, make moral judgments daily. I did not equate the 2 or say that they were in any way comparable--other than that they are moral issues the government rules on. Apparently you haven't grasped the concept of hyperbole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
Actually, we do. It's called standing. The impact on your life, or lack thereof, is important when it comes to your opinion mattering, or you being consulted.
Not everything I vote for/against has to directly affect me. As I stated, the legality of rape in Missoula, MT doesn't affect me directly...but it is a horrible thing and it should, of course be outlawed.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
If you're going to throw out talking points, at least make sure they are applicable to the situation.
I understand the "checks and balances" completely. You seem to be failing to understand that it's not the role of the court system to make law.
Quote:
That was dumb. Even for you.
Apparently you haven't grasped the concept of hyperbole, either.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
I understand the "checks and balances" completely. You seem to be failing to understand that it's not the role of the court system to make law.
You're right. The courts don't make the law. They interpret the law and decide whether or not those laws are constitutional.

Quote:
Apparently you haven't grasped the concept of hyperbole, either.
That is hyperbole.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
You're right. The courts don't make the law. They interpret the law and decide whether or not those laws are constitutional.
That is surprising that you actually believe that. You're the one whining that the court should rule that men can marry men and women can marry women. Nevermind the fact that for over 200 years, the court system in America has been upholding marriage and has never, ever questioned the legality or "discrimination" of requiring opposite genders....until fairly recently.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:33 AM

[quote=Calvinist;19731380]
Quote:
That is surprising that you actually believe that. You're the one whining that the court should rule that men can marry men and women can marry women.
And how do the courts get to make that ruling?

Quote:
Nevermind the fact that for over 200 years, the court system in America has been upholding marriage and has never, ever questioned the legality or "discrimination" of requiring opposite genders....until fairly recently.
Wrong again. The federal government didn't get involved in the marriage issue until 1996 when the DOMA passed and lower courts have been all over the place in ruling on the matter. To date, this matter has not reached the SCOTUS.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
And how do the courts get to make that ruling?
They compare it to what the constitution says.
Quote:
Wrong again. The federal government didn't get involved in the marriage issue until 1996 when the DOMA passed and lower courts have been all over the place in ruling on the matter. To date, this matter has not reached the SCOTUS.
I never said the SCOTUS. There you go putting words in my mouth.

The appeals courts have been all over it. It will eventually get to the SCOTUS.

Honestly? I don't think the federal gov't has any right to declare no same-gender marriage. I do think they should protect the individual states so that if Massachusetts wants to allow it, Nebraska shouldn't have to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha