U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-06-2011, 09:49 AM
 
6,486 posts, read 5,666,094 times
Reputation: 1272

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
Tee it up and let the big dog eat.

Murder is immoral because it deprives an innocent person of their life.
Stealing is immoral because it unjustly deprives a person of their property.
Slavery is unjust because you own yourself and are entitled to market wages for your labor.
Assault is immoral because it results in grave injury.

Do I need to go on?
Basically your argument is that if you infringe on someone else's life it's wrong? Who told you that it's wrong to infringe on another person's life? Why is that your standard of right/wrong?

Is there ever a case where it's right to infringe on someone else's life?
Quote:


Cudos for admitting as much. Of course you don't have one, other than "god said so" there is no logical case to be made. That is insufficient reason for legislation in this country, and though there have been, and in some cases continue to be, laws based on that, every time they are challenged they are rightfully struck down as unconstitutional. To bad, so sad.
I don't need one. It's enough.

 
Old 07-06-2011, 09:59 AM
 
Location: Tampa (by way of Omaha)
13,887 posts, read 19,060,240 times
Reputation: 9089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I don't need one.
The people defending Prop 8 thought the same thing.
 
Old 07-06-2011, 10:12 AM
 
2,665 posts, read 2,172,570 times
Reputation: 1471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Basically your argument is that if you infringe on someone else's life it's wrong? Who told you that it's wrong to infringe on another person's life?
My mother did. But, as an adult, it's inherently obvious regardless of who told me what.

I don't want to be killed. Ergo, it's reasonable that others feel that way, ergo it's reasonable that my doing so to them is bad. Ditto for all the other things on the list, and dozens of other things that were not on the list.

I don't need instructions from on high to differentiate right and wrong, merely common sense.

Quote:
Is there ever a case where it's right to infringe on someone else's life?
Sure. In defense of self and others. As punishment for crimes committed. I'm sure there are other reasonable exceptions. But they are exceptions.

Quote:
I don't need one. It's enough.
And that's fine, except you insist that others follow your god's morals because your god said so. The creator I believe in said no such thing.
 
Old 07-06-2011, 10:40 AM
 
6,486 posts, read 5,666,094 times
Reputation: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
The people defending Prop 8 thought the same thing.
They were right, but unfortunately, the courts don't always agree with "right".
 
Old 07-06-2011, 10:45 AM
 
6,486 posts, read 5,666,094 times
Reputation: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
My mother did. But, as an adult, it's inherently obvious regardless of who told me what.
What if my mom tells me different? Or anyone else's mom? In any event, to just see that it's "inherently obvious" is begging the question. How do you determine the standard?
Quote:
I don't want to be killed. Ergo, it's reasonable that others feel that way, ergo it's reasonable that my doing so to them is bad. Ditto for all the other things on the list, and dozens of other things that were not on the list.

I don't need instructions from on high to differentiate right and wrong, merely common sense.


Sure. In defense of self and others. As punishment for crimes committed. I'm sure there are other reasonable exceptions. But they are exceptions.
How do you know that your feelings are correct? What if 2 different people have 2 different notions of what is "right"?
Quote:


And that's fine, except you insist that others follow your god's morals because your god said so. The creator I believe in said no such thing.
I'm not arguing for a theocracy. But I am trying to understand how you think your system of morals are better than mine.
 
Old 07-06-2011, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Tampa (by way of Omaha)
13,887 posts, read 19,060,240 times
Reputation: 9089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
They were right.
The court(s) say otherwise.
 
Old 07-06-2011, 10:51 AM
 
6,486 posts, read 5,666,094 times
Reputation: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
The court(s) say otherwise.
The courts are wrong.
 
Old 07-06-2011, 10:55 AM
 
Location: Tampa (by way of Omaha)
13,887 posts, read 19,060,240 times
Reputation: 9089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
The courts are wrong.
How can the body which sets the standard be wrong?
 
Old 07-06-2011, 10:58 AM
 
6,486 posts, read 5,666,094 times
Reputation: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
How can the body which sets the standard be wrong?
Are you suggesting the courts are the one that set the standard? They didn't write the laws, and there is a reason you can appeal a court's decision.

Judges can and do make mistakes.
 
Old 07-06-2011, 11:08 AM
 
2,665 posts, read 2,172,570 times
Reputation: 1471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
How do you determine the standard?
For christ's sake, we're going around in circles. I've explained to you over and over again. I've demonstrated how to label some acts as immoral without necessitating resorting to 'god said so'.

I've given 3 simple guidelines that, if universally followed, would result in peace, love, and harmony. Do no harm. Golden rule. Reverse golden rule. I don't need the creator to incarnate, meet (in secret) with some guy on a mountain top, and come down with a list of commandments for me to understand what is and is not moral.

(Incidentally, why wouldn't god have created the medium on which those were written to last and withstand the test of time? For a guy who craves people believing in him, that would have been a grand opportunity to leave behind some actual evidence, dontcha think?)

Quote:
I'm not arguing for a theocracy. But I am trying to understand how you think your system of morals are better than mine.
If you're arguing against gay marriage on theocratic grounds, you are in fact arguing for a theocracy, and thus far those are the only grounds you've offered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top