U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 07-06-2011, 12:08 PM
 
Location: Midtown Omaha
1,165 posts, read 986,710 times
Reputation: 426

Advertisements

The courts interpret the laws. It doesn't matter what you think is right or wrong or even if the judges make a mistake in your opinion because their decision is always the right one in the eyes of the law.

If judges later decide to change it then their view will be the right view in the eyes of the law. It is only one of the bedrock foundations of this country.

 
Old 07-06-2011, 12:09 PM
Status: "Partially taking all the blame" (set 2 days ago)
 
Location: Tampa, Florida
10,966 posts, read 9,846,500 times
Reputation: 5883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Are you suggesting the courts are the one that set the standard?
In the case of Prop 8, yes. Two sides argued their cases to the judge, who has the job of ruling based on the evidenced argued.
 
Old 07-06-2011, 12:12 PM
 
6,486 posts, read 3,134,369 times
Reputation: 1242
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
***************, we're going around in circles. I've explained to you over and over again. I've demonstrated how to label some acts as immoral without necessitating resorting to 'god said so'.

I've given 3 simple guidelines that, if universally followed, would result in peace, love, and harmony. Do no harm. Golden rule. Reverse golden rule. I don't need the creator to incarnate, meet (in secret) with some guy on a mountain top, and come down with a list of commandments for me to understand what is and is not moral.

(Incidentally, why wouldn't god have created the medium on which those were written to last and withstand the test of time? For a guy who craves people believing in him, that would have been a grand opportunity to leave behind some actual evidence, dontcha think?)

If you're arguing against gay marriage on theocratic grounds, you are in fact arguing for a theocracy, and thus far those are the only grounds you've offered.
You are begging the question when you try to assume that something is universally right or wrong without submitting to an ultimate authority. I'd like to know how you pretend to be able to tell me what is right and wrong.
 
Old 07-06-2011, 12:14 PM
 
2,534 posts, read 1,041,569 times
Reputation: 1336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I'd like to know how you pretend to be able to tell me what is right and wrong.
If you need to be instructed (or worse, commanded) to know it's not a good thing to kill other people, you've got issues.
 
Old 07-06-2011, 12:20 PM
 
6,486 posts, read 3,134,369 times
Reputation: 1242
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
If you need to be instructed (or worse, commanded) to know it's not a good thing to kill other people, you've got issues.
There are currently people groups today that consider it to be ok. Your argument for morals according to societal standards lead to stuff like that.
 
Old 07-06-2011, 12:26 PM
 
Location: Midtown Omaha
1,165 posts, read 986,710 times
Reputation: 426
Yet how many groups site their belief in a god to kill others as well? Seems like the unfaltering belief in a higher being isn't a model for a moral society either.
 
Old 07-06-2011, 12:42 PM
 
6,486 posts, read 3,134,369 times
Reputation: 1242
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
Yet how many groups site their belief in a god to kill others as well? Seems like the unfaltering belief in a higher being isn't a model for a moral society either.
You're right. It depends on the higher being.
 
Old 07-06-2011, 12:48 PM
Status: "Partially taking all the blame" (set 2 days ago)
 
Location: Tampa, Florida
10,966 posts, read 9,846,500 times
Reputation: 5883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
You're right. It depends on the higher being.
Or you just do like America (among others) have done and found a country on completely removing all religion from the legislative process.
 
Old 07-06-2011, 12:54 PM
 
6,486 posts, read 3,134,369 times
Reputation: 1242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Or you just do like America (among others) have done and found a country on completely removing all religion from the legislative process.
The founding fathers never intended for that.
 
Old 07-06-2011, 01:01 PM
Status: "Partially taking all the blame" (set 2 days ago)
 
Location: Tampa, Florida
10,966 posts, read 9,846,500 times
Reputation: 5883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
The founding fathers never intended for that.
History says otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top