U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 09-07-2011, 04:12 PM
 
Location: Chicago
3,329 posts, read 6,244,834 times
Reputation: 1157

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
umm....by changing the definition?
So basically what you're saying is that if gay people can marry, you'll suddenly start loving your wife less? If other people marrying really affects your own marriage, you have issues.

 
Old 09-07-2011, 04:13 PM
 
6,486 posts, read 3,145,812 times
Reputation: 1242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Changing the definition of a word does not effect someone on that basis alone, especially in this context as the definition would simply be expanded. Everyone else who was previously married will still be married.

So, again I ask, how are you effected?
Suppose we just start referring to all gay people as pedophiles. Does that affect you personally?
 
Old 09-07-2011, 04:18 PM
Status: "Partially taking all the blame" (set 7 days ago)
 
Location: Tampa, Florida
10,970 posts, read 9,883,326 times
Reputation: 5883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Suppose we just start referring to all gay people as pedophiles. Does that affect you personally?
Absurdity does not strengthen your argument. Try sticking to the topic at hand.
 
Old 09-07-2011, 04:27 PM
 
6,486 posts, read 3,145,812 times
Reputation: 1242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Absurdity does not strengthen your argument. Try sticking to the topic at hand.
I think it's an excellent analogy. How does the definition of a word affect you? Should it matter what we call you or other gay people? Does it matter one bit whether or not you are actually a child predator?

For the record, I don't think that gay people are pedophiles--but it is simply a comparison. Words have meanings. If you feel the need to change the definition of marriage, it affects everyone that has a marriage.
 
Old 09-07-2011, 04:38 PM
Status: "Partially taking all the blame" (set 7 days ago)
 
Location: Tampa, Florida
10,970 posts, read 9,883,326 times
Reputation: 5883
You may think it's an excellent analogy, but we've already established that you're neither very intelligent nor logical, so your opinion on that is pretty irrelevant.

That said, your analogy fails on one large issue though. Your example would have people being given a label that not only is incorrect, but one that carries very negative social and legal repercussions. It is not even remotely connected to the prospect of changing the legal definition of marriage to include gays.

I know why you did it though. You cannot give a straight answer to how changing the definition would effect straight people and since you know you cannot give an answer you try to distract from the issue with an absurd analogy. It actually shows a serious presence of intellectual cowardice on your part.

So once again, with the intention of not straying from the topic, I ask you this. Calvinist, explain to me why changing the legal definition of marriage to include gay couples effects the marriages of straight couples.
 
Old 09-07-2011, 04:51 PM
 
6,486 posts, read 3,145,812 times
Reputation: 1242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
You may think it's an excellent analogy, but we've already established that you're neither very intelligent nor logical, so your opinion on that is pretty irrelevant.
Pretty typical. When faced with something you can't answer you just respond with "well...you're stupid!!!!"
Quote:

That said, your analogy fails on one large issue though. Your example would have people being given a label that not only is incorrect, but one that carries very negative social and legal repercussions.
Now you're seeing it...even if you don't want to admit it. Calling what my wife and I have equal to that which 2 men or 2 women can share in is in my mind a very negative thing.

Let me know when you have a reasonable response.
 
Old 09-07-2011, 04:54 PM
Status: "Partially taking all the blame" (set 7 days ago)
 
Location: Tampa, Florida
10,970 posts, read 9,883,326 times
Reputation: 5883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Pretty typical. When faced with something you can't answer you just respond with "well...you're stupid!!!!"
Actually I called you unintelligent and illogical, not stupid. There is a difference, albeit a subtle one. I also discredited your analogy, but acting like that didn't happen won't change the facts.

Quote:
Now you're seeing it...even if you don't want to admit it. Calling what my wife and I have equal to that which 2 men or 2 women can share in is in my mind a very negative thing.
Explain why it is a negative thing. This is a very simple question for you to answer.
 
Old 09-07-2011, 04:56 PM
 
6,486 posts, read 3,145,812 times
Reputation: 1242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Actually I called you unintelligent and illogical, not stupid. There is a difference, albeit a subtle one. I also discredited your analogy, but acting like that didn't happen won't change the facts.



Explain why it is a negative thing. This is a very simple question for you to answer.
For the same reason you don't want to be associated with pedophiles, I don't want my marriage to be associated with the relationship of 2 men or 2 women.

Do words have meanings, or not? Shall I just start calling you "BoscoPedophile"?
 
Old 09-07-2011, 05:08 PM
Status: "Partially taking all the blame" (set 7 days ago)
 
Location: Tampa, Florida
10,970 posts, read 9,883,326 times
Reputation: 5883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
For the same reason you don't want to be associated with pedophiles, I don't want my marriage to be associated with the relationship of 2 men or 2 women.

Do words have meanings, or not? Shall I just start calling you "BoscoPedophile"?
First off, what is your fascination with insinuating people are gay because they support gay rights? You've done this at least twice now. Is it your way of somehow validating your personal views by creating a false reality where no straight people have opposing views? Whatever it is, I bet a psychologist would have fun with that one.

Second, your example is no more valid than it was 20 minutes ago. Allowing gays to partake in legally recognized marriages doesn't associate your marriage to gay marriages anymore than being a licensed driver associates you to drunk drivers. There is simply no logical connection between the two ideas except that which you've created in your own mind. This is why you STILL cannot give a straight answer to my question.

And lastly, you might as well drop the pedophile argument. It was a patently retarded analogy that has further weakened and already weak stance.
 
Old 09-07-2011, 05:09 PM
 
795 posts, read 732,228 times
Reputation: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
For the same reason you don't want to be associated with pedophiles, I don't want my marriage to be associated with the relationship of 2 men or 2 women.

Do words have meanings, or not? Shall I just start calling you "BoscoPedophile"?
If that is your strongest argument then you lost the debate before it even began!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:04 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top