Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2011, 01:15 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
How is that going to make your life better?
Actually, recognizing gay marriage effects me about as much as it does you (read: it doesn't) but in the abstract, I'll feel a little happier knowing that my country has righted another wrong.

Quote:
Interesting considering I didn't mention my church.
Ok, so it's just for you to worry about. Whatever works.

Quote:
the poster I responded to made a strawman argument about the Bible.
I don't think you know what a strawman argument is.

Quote:
I have to tell you how homosexual behavior is immoral? Really?
Considering that there is significant debate among theologians whether the bible addresses the issue at all, I'd say you better explain yourself.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:30 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Actually, recognizing gay marriage effects me about as much as it does you (read: it doesn't) but in the abstract, I'll feel a little happier knowing that my country has righted another wrong.
Typically, that non-sequitur gets asked to anyone opposing it. As if the effect on our lives really mattered in the legality of it.
Quote:
Ok, so it's just for you to worry about. Whatever works.

I don't think you know what a strawman argument is.

Considering that there is significant debate among theologians whether the bible addresses the issue at all, I'd say you better explain yourself.
No...there really is no debate among serious theologians. It's pretty much accepted as wrong, and was never an issue until fairly recently. Anyone that objectively reads the text can see it pretty clear.

Honestly though...this argument is just getting old. It's sad that apparently 100 ministers don't take the Bible seriously. Is this a reason to mistreat gay people? No. They are sinners like me and anyone else. We all need a savior. I find it sad that these ministers seem to be more concerned about making people happy on social issues than about preaching the Gospel.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
As if the effect on our lives really mattered in the legality of it.
Well at least you are finally learning.

Quote:
No...there really is no debate among serious theologians. It's pretty much accepted as wrong, and was never an issue until fairly recently. Anyone that objectively reads the text can see it pretty clear.
Really?

What the New Testament Says about Homosexuality

Quote:
Honestly though...this argument is just getting old. It's sad that apparently 100 ministers don't take the Bible seriously. Is this a reason to mistreat gay people? No. They are sinners like me and anyone else. We all need a savior. I find it sad that these ministers seem to be more concerned about making people happy on social issues than about preaching the Gospel.
Clearly they appear to know the gospel better than you, or at least recognize the lack of clarity.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Well at least you are finally learning.
We don't legislate according to how our "lives are affected". We legislate according to right/wrong, and the good of society.
Quote:

Really?

What the New Testament Says about Homosexuality

Clearly they appear to know the gospel better than you, or at least recognize the lack of clarity.
That would be an example of "scholars" with agendas.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:02 PM

138 posts, read 264,849 times
The American Medical Association calls for marriage equality nationwide.

Gayapolis News - The American Medical Association Supports Gay Marriage

Old 06-27-2011, 02:04 PM

138 posts, read 264,849 times
BTW I saw a message that neatly sums up alot of this in a MeFi thread after NY passed gay marriage the other night and I am posting it here....

Quote:
And to think, the Republican party ran an entire presidential campaign in 2004 centered around whipping up evangelicals to ban gay marriage in order to get a president re-elected.

Yeah, you've still got a few dead enders who think stopping gay marriage is somehow important or serious, but for the most part, even Republicans have moved on and are no longer pretending that gay marriage is going to end civilization.

It's like now that the Republicans got what they needed to get out of opposing gay marriage, they realize that there are no more votes to be had by trying to stop it, and they've moved on.

It is a reminder that the "values voters" of 2004 who told us that supporting George W Bush was one of the most important things we could do to save us from the huge tragedy of gays being allowed to marry have pretty much wasted their time and their lives. All that time, all that effort, and it was only so that they could be used like dupes and fools over something that Republicans didn't even really care about just so that we could maintain tax cuts and keep us in Iraq longer: and in the end, those voters are left with nothing: not rich enough to benefit from the tax cuts, and their support of Republicans led to the collapse of the economy, causing them to lose their jobs and hurting future opportunities for their children, while gays around the country are allowed to get married. That was the high water mark of their political lives, and for nothing.

Metafilter user deanc

Old 06-27-2011, 02:22 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,616,938 times
Quote:
We all endorse things daily by our actions or what we say.
How does gay marriage becoming legal amount to an endorsement of it by you.

Quote:
At least by your standard, right? Why is that system better?
My system is better because it is not arbitrary. It does not denote this sexual practice as good, and that sexual practice is bad because an ancient Jewish figured the pus leaking out of someone penis was a punishment from god for misuse of said penis, rather than knowing it was simply a bacterial infection. It allows people to do what they like and be who they are, but at the same time it acknowledges that not all potential acts are, or should be considered, moral.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
We don't legislate according to how our "lives are affected". We legislate according to right/wrong, and the good of society.
Absolutely. That's why your side is losing.

Quote:
That would be an example of "scholars" with agendas.
Oh right, because only those on your side know the real truth right? Sounds alot like the same playbook the right wing uses when it comes to climate change and Fox News.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Absolutely. That's why your side is losing.

Oh right, because only those on your side know the real truth right? Sounds alot like the same playbook the right wing uses when it comes to climate change and Fox News.
If 2 views contradict each other, only one can be right. I'm sorry if you're not. You can embrace Truth though. Repent of your sins and believe in Christ for the forgiveness of your sins.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:14 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,689,318 times
Quote:
I have to tell you how homosexual behavior is immoral? Really?
Yes Calvinist. You do. Let's hear it. You've called it immoral this whole time yet you refuse to say WHY it is immoral. So we're waiting now for your reasons. Patiently, might I add.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha