Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2011, 01:27 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,616,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
Um, yes you did. Your last post you used general opposition to pedophilia as a supporting reason to also oppose gay marriage. Hence putting the two on equal footing. While you did not directly say they were equal, it was and has been heavily implied by you multiple times now.
I realize the behavior is different. But the same arguments are used by both groups to argue for social acceptance.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:11 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I realize the behavior is different. But the same arguments are used by both groups to argue for social acceptance.
And once again, we go back to the compelling argument standard. Homosexuality and gay marriage have no victims. There is no compelling argument to prohibit it, and the SCOTUS has already ruled that laws banning homosexuality are unconstitutional. The same cannot be said for pedophilia. There is a VERY compelling argument for preventing someone from sexually assaulting prepubescent children, no matter what the cause of the act is.

I hope this is starting to become clear to you.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:17 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,232,941 times
Quote:
But I have seen pedophiles make the argument that they're born that way, so they shouldn't be penalized.
Quick point of order:
Pedophiles aren't "penalized" for merely being pedophiles. That is, "born that way."

They're "penalized" for harming a child.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
And once again, we go back to the compelling argument standard. Homosexuality and gay marriage have no victims. There is no compelling argument to prohibit it, and the SCOTUS has already ruled that laws banning homosexuality are unconstitutional. The same cannot be said for pedophilia. There is a VERY compelling argument for preventing someone from sexually assaulting prepubescent children, no matter what the cause of the act is.

I hope this is starting to become clear to you.
Your whole "no victims" argument is irrelevant. Tell the pedophile crowd not to use it if you don't like it.

But again....the SCOTUS ruling is irrelevant, as the issue is not based on sexual preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Quick point of order:
Pedophiles aren't "penalized" for merely being pedophiles. That is, "born that way."

They're "penalized" for harming a child.
Likewise...gay people aren't penalized for being gay. They are simply refused the right to marry a person of the same gender--as are all straight people.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:52 PM

817 posts, read 1,769,678 times
Quote:
Your whole "no victims" argument is irrelevant. Tell the pedophile crowd not to use it if you don't like it.
Really, irrelevant? That's just WOW! Toss out anything that goes against your beliefs and embrace what little supports it. Way to go.

Also the "pedophile crowd" are not the ones posting in this forum, YOU ARE!

Old 09-19-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:

YOU
are the one who keeps bringing up pedophilia, NOT me. I am merely point out how it is a completely retarded argument with no basis in law or logic. Personally I'd rather see the whole pedophilia argument dropped since it has no bearing on homosexuality and gay marriage, but if you keep bringing it up, we'll keep telling you how wrong you are.

Quote:
But again....the SCOTUS ruling is irrelevant, as the issue is not based on sexual preference.
Actually, it's extremely relevant as it shows how the compelling argument standard is applied. The court opinion states that "the Texas statute furthers no legitimate state interest which can justify its intrusion into the personal and private life of the individual..." If this case had been based on pedophilia, the state statute would have been upheld.

Quote:
Likewise...gay people aren't penalized for being gay. They are simply refused the right to marry a person of the same gender--as are all straight people.
Courts say otherwise.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:

YOU
are the one who keeps bringing up pedophilia, NOT me. I am merely point out how it is a completely retarded argument with no basis in law or logic. Personally I'd rather see the whole pedophilia argument dropped since it has no bearing on homosexuality and gay marriage, but if you keep bringing it up, we'll keep telling you how wrong you are.
The same arguments for gay rights has been used by pedophiles. Yes--the argument does have a correlation.
Quote:

Actually, it's extremely relevant as it shows how the compelling argument standard is applied. The court opinion states that "the Texas statute furthers no legitimate state interest which can justify its intrusion into the personal and private life of the individual..." If this case had been based on pedophilia, the state statute would have been upheld.
If the discussion is about denying homosexuals certain things, it's irrelevant, as gay people have exactly the same rights as straights.
Quote:

Courts say otherwise.
They are wrong.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
The same arguments for gay rights has been used by pedophiles. Yes--the argument does have a correlation.
And the argument was just as invalid when they try to use.

Regardless, we are not debating pedophilia here. When that debate comes up, then we can argue about the merits of their stances.

Quote:
If the discussion is about denying homosexuals certain things, it's irrelevant, as gay people have exactly the same rights as straights.
Not a big fan of reading comprehension, are you? Let's try again, but focus this time.

Quote:
Actually, it's extremely relevant as it shows how the compelling argument standard is applied.
Better?

Quote:
They are wrong.
I re-iterate my challenge from before. Tell us how they are wrong, using legal arguments.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:19 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,688,622 times
Quote:
You think my opposition to gay marriage is to somehow "save myself from hell"? Really?

I have numerous reasons to oppose same-gender marriage. None of them have anything to do with me going to heaven or hell.

I don't expect you to understand Christianity...but at least do a little homework before spouting off.
Oh really? Because you seemed to blatantly ignore my post a while back that demonstrated my personal understanding.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
And the argument was just as invalid when they try to use.

Regardless, we are not debating pedophilia here. When that debate comes up, then we can argue about the merits of their stances.
So then you'll drop this "they were born that way" nonsense?
Quote:
Not a big fan of reading comprehension, are you? Let's try again, but focus this time.

Better?
Aren't we feeling superior today? What are you asking? AS it stands now, gay people have exactly the same marital rights as straight people. Do you not understand that?
Quote:
I re-iterate my challenge from before. Tell us how they are wrong, using legal arguments.
Because no one is being denied anything based on their sexual practices?

I know this is hard for you to comprehend. You're just sitting there seething because I dare to oppose your view....I realize that. But again...marriage being based off of man/woman does not discriminate. The question of who or what you like to sleep with doesn't come up when you fill out a marriage app. We all have the exact same rules to abide by regardless of our sexual practices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael07 View Post
Oh really? Because you seemed to blatantly ignore my post a while back that demonstrated my personal understanding.
I'm sorry...it's easy to miss posts when you're as loved as I am on these boards. I've got about 9 of you all hurling insults at me. It's difficult to see them all sometimes.

Now....I'm signing off for the day. Lest Bosco declare victory based on sheer determination and persistence (certainly not coherent argument) I would like to excuse myself from this until tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha