Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2011, 12:58 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,605,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
You and I both know the appropriate verses.
BTW... Demonstrating that homosexuality is immoral without using theological reasoning precludes the use of bible verses, appropriate or otherwise.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:41 PM

138 posts, read 263,529 times
What if a gays had a boners and was running like fullspeed at you and he was all like "Im gona stab you head with my hard boners man!" and you cant fight back because you have an arm full of delicious Runza sandwiches?

Moral grey area if ya ask me.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:45 AM

306 posts, read 711,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
BTW... Demonstrating that homosexuality is immoral without using theological reasoning precludes the use of bible verses, appropriate or otherwise.
Would you mind telling us how homosexuality is moral from a biblical standpoint? Preferably citing verses. It's only fair that if one demands that someone justify their position using a standard contrary to their underlying beliefs that they can do that same as well.

Thank you.

Old 07-02-2011, 01:10 AM

1,224 posts, read 2,177,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessep28 View Post
Would you mind telling us how homosexuality is moral from a biblical standpoint? Preferably citing verses. It's only fair that if one demands that someone justify their position using a standard contrary to their underlying beliefs that they can do that same as well.

Thank you.
The DentalFloss among others are demanding a reason that is non biblical because in this secular country no one should be excluded from certain rights because of a religious text.

If there is no moral opposition to an issue other than a religious text than there is no real moral opposition in the eyes of the law(at least there isn't supposed to be according to the Constitution.)

That is the entire basis for asking for a moral objection other than a bible verse because a bible verse holds no weight in this countries legal construct.

So I ask again if there is not a single reason to abhor same sex marriage other than a bible verse than what reason is there to keep same sex couples from marrying?

Old 07-02-2011, 01:38 AM

14,561 posts, read 22,957,195 times
Quote:

Thank you.
I don't want to speak for DentalFloss, but as far as I'm concerned, unless there is a verse to the contrary (and when it comes to homosexuality, there isn't) then it can be reasonably inferred that such behavior is in fact moral, biblical speaking.

Old 07-02-2011, 03:08 AM

2,677 posts, read 2,605,440 times
Quote:
Would you mind telling us how homosexuality is moral from a biblical standpoint?
SURE.

As soon as you explain to me, Biblically, how men flying through the air, clearly something they were never designed to do is moral from a biblical standpoint. That which is not explicitly forbidden is allowed. I have demonstrated ad nauseum how such things as murder, rape, and theft can rightfully be labeled as immoral without referencing any theological points. If being homosexual is truly immoral, it should be easy to show in the same way.

Your problem is that you are assuming the truth of a holy text without demonstrating it as such. Surely the true word of god doesn't need to reference only itself to be credible, no?

Old 07-02-2011, 04:22 AM

817 posts, read 1,760,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post

Bottom line is that for 2000 years it's been commonly accepted that yes--it's a sin.

And for longer than that slavery was considered moral, with many in the church owning slaves throughout history. Well, if the slaves were non Catholic that is. Yet today it would be considered immoral to try and own a person. Whats moral and immoral changes with time.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:33 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,591,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
And for longer than that slavery was considered moral, with many in the church owning slaves throughout history. Well, if the slaves were non Catholic that is. Yet today it would be considered immoral to try and own a person. Whats moral and immoral changes with time.
1. Slavery was not considered "good" or "moral" by God or the Bible. It happened, but it wasn't endorsed by God. Nevermind the fact that slavery was much different in the Bible, and was not based on owning a man. I'm sure I couldn't bother you to actually know that though, could I?

2. Slavery ended in huge part to the Christians that worked against it. It wasn't just something that changed with time. I have no doubt that it would still be legal if we'd have just left people to their own and hoped they did the right thing.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:49 AM

1,224 posts, read 2,177,139 times
However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. Leviticus 25:44-46

Looks like an endorsement to me. And it looks like they are owning them as well.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:26 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,591,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. Leviticus 25:44-46

Looks like an endorsement to me. And it looks like they are owning them as well.
He allowed it, this was not a command to do so. And no--it wasn't like the slavery of 200 years ago in America.

Did you also know that slavery was a life that a person could legally choose to enter into?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha