U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 08:58 PM

163 posts, read 163,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkncooper View Post
Another question I have is what are the people like in Omaha? Here in Fargo our population is 106,000 people, but I don't see any sort of "big city" snobbery here in Fargo. I know that Omaha is much larger than Fargo, but I am also curious how well my wife and would "fit in" to Omaha. I just don't want to stereotype the area and it's residents.
It depends on where you go in the city. West Omaha, as has been said, is very suburban, people out here are friendly enough, but there's an aggressive streak in a lot of people-- a lack of patience at times.

Elsewhere, Omaha is more Midwestern, culturally. Blue collar, more down to earth, but you'd be more prone to encounter people that are...stuck in their ways.

That being said, neither is an extreme example, you can find these types in most American cities, and Omaha doesn't stick out on either end of the spectrum, in my opinion. I'm a transplant, and I will say that most of the friends I've made here are not native to the city, but I couldn't tell you if that's because transplants across the country have more in common, rather than locals. I've only noticed a pronounced hostility when I mention I'm from the East Coast once or twice (in 4 years.) It's not really the kind of place where you'll get gawked at and everyone knows you're not from the area, Omaha is far too big to have that vibe.

I've never been to North Dakota, but I know a few people from up there, as well as Minnesota. They don't stick out around here. It's all the Midwest. If anything, the Minnesota/Dakota folks are a bit more jovial and talkative, but that's it. If you come in with the right attitude, it will only rarely come back to burn you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 02:16 PM

7 posts, read 14,923 times
I have a few more questions to ask all of you. I hope you don't mind.

Does anyone have some apartment recommendations? From what you all have said at this point we might be looking at living in West Omaha, Bellevue or possibly Midtown. Are there any good apartments in those areas?

Does anyone know of any LCMS (Lutheran Church Missouri Synod) in the area? I mean as a Christan I won't judge anyone who does not believe in what me and my family believes, but since we would be out of towners it would be nice to find a Church that fits our beliefs.

Also, since I do not have a college degree where is a good place to look for employment? Right now I work in manufacturing and it pays pretty decent and I get good benefits. I am open to do most anything, I'd just like to avoid working somewhere that is absolutely miserable. Don't get me wrong I will work my butt of and have a great attitude because that is who I am. I just would not want to work in an environment that is absolutely toxic and prone to firing people left and right.

Thanks again for being so helpful. This is an interesting time for me and my family and all your input has been great.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:02 PM

607 posts, read 602,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkncooper View Post
I have a few more questions to ask all of you. I hope you don't mind.

Does anyone have some apartment recommendations? From what you all have said at this point we might be looking at living in West Omaha, Bellevue or possibly Midtown. Are there any good apartments in those areas?

Does anyone know of any LCMS (Lutheran Church Missouri Synod) in the area? I mean as a Christan I won't judge anyone who does not believe in what me and my family believes, but since we would be out of towners it would be nice to find a Church that fits our beliefs.

Also, since I do not have a college degree where is a good place to look for employment? Right now I work in manufacturing and it pays pretty decent and I get good benefits. I am open to do most anything, I'd just like to avoid working somewhere that is absolutely miserable. Don't get me wrong I will work my butt of and have a great attitude because that is who I am. I just would not want to work in an environment that is absolutely toxic and prone to firing people left and right. Oh, but whatever you do, don't accept a job in the galvanizing department. It's a rather caustic environment,

Thanks again for being so helpful. This is an interesting time for me and my family and all your input has been great.
I worked as a welder Valmont for a short time. They manufacture irrigators, light poles and windmill support structures. I hadn't had any previous work experience as a welder, but I was pretty good at it from class. I really didn't do a great job with my test weld for the interview but they still hired me. They're in Valley Nebraska which is only ten to fifteen minutes from the farthest stretches of northwest Omaha. I personally had to go through a staffing agency, which really sucked, but Valmont themselves are an established company that I know for a fact has had huge backload of work this year. You may want to look into it.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:50 PM

4 posts, read 5,267 times
Is the Old Market/Downtown area safe? I am looking into rent a 1BR, somewhere along the bus line and the medical school. Good management and CLEAN. Hopefully not too loud. (I have been living with/ around college kids for years, so my frustration tolerance is quite high.)

Any recommendations? Thanks!

Last edited by Polly.Anna; 06-29-2011 at 08:56 PM..

Old 06-30-2011, 12:45 AM

607 posts, read 602,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly.Anna View Post
Is the Old Market/Downtown area safe? I am looking into rent a 1BR, somewhere along the bus line and the medical school. Good management and CLEAN. Hopefully not too loud. (I have been living with/ around college kids for years, so my frustration tolerance is quite high.)

Any recommendations? Thanks!
The Old Market is very lively and very safe. It's probably the best place in Omaha for night life. Route 15/55 is two to three blocks north of the Old Market and goes to University of Nebraska Medical Center.

Bus Route 15 / 55 - Omaha Metro

Route 30 picks up on the same street as Route 15/55 and goes to Creighton University Medical Center.

http://ometro.com/bus-system/bus-routes/florence

Hopefully this helps a little.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:00 PM

4 posts, read 5,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busguy2010 View Post
The Old Market is very lively and very safe. It's probably the best place in Omaha for night life. Route 15/55 is two to three blocks north of the Old Market and goes to University of Nebraska Medical Center.

Bus Route 15 / 55 - Omaha Metro

Route 30 picks up on the same street as Route 15/55 and goes to Creighton University Medical Center.

Bus Route 30 - Omaha Metro

Hopefully this helps a little.
Thank you! That sounds awesome. Is downtown the same as old market, or is that further west?

Old 07-01-2011, 09:09 PM

1,157 posts, read 927,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly.Anna View Post
Thank you! That sounds awesome. Is downtown the same as old market, or is that further west?
It is a little south and east of the business district, but it is widely considered downtown throughout Omaha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha