U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 06-18-2011, 11:56 AM

7 posts, read 13,728 times
Default A possible move to the Omaha area

Hi-
My wife and I currently live in Fargo, ND. We are now starting to look at moving to the Omaha/Council Bluffs area. One of the big reasons is that my wife is an orchestra teacher and here in Fargo there are not any jobs at this time so we are looking to stay relitivly close to family and yet move to a larger metro area. I have heard all sorts of opinions on the area. Some say the area is infested with gangs and violence and crime are out of control, and yet I have also heard that the area is quite nice and not as scary as some might say. With that in mind I have a few questions.

1.How are the public school systems doing in the area? My wife graduated with a degree is instrumental education (with an emphasis on Orchestra) and to be honest the Fargo metro area has disappointed me with the lack of job opportunities my wife has had. She has subbed for the last two (soon to be three) years and yet she has not been offered a full-time position. Is the school districts in the area doing well? How is the outlook for hiring new teachers?

2. Where in the Omaha metro area is the best (safest) place to live? We are a relatively young family that has 3 children under the age of 4. I would just like to know where is the safest part of the metro area. Don't get me wrong I understand that there is crime in the Omaha/Council Bluffs metro area, it happens here too in Fargo (the only difference is there is a murder in Fargo once every 2 years or so). So again since we have three young ones where is the nicest most family friendly area in the metro?

3.How is the winter driving in the area? Here in Fargo we see a lot of snow and some ice so I am quite used to winter driving (i.e. slow down, brake at a greater distance, ect). I am wondering how is everyone with winter driving. I'm sure you all see some snow, and probably have had to deal with more ice storms than we deal with, but I am just curious as to how everyone copes with winter driving.

4.Are there jobs availiable for someone without a college degree? I have been to college a few times and nothing has clicked for me so I have been working in the maufacturing and it has done me well. Is there decent employment opportunties for me despite my lack of a college degree?

I have been to the area several times (I have lots of family here), and I generally really like the area. Oh, and the weather...I live in Fargo, so I don't think I will have to adjust to the climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-18-2011, 04:23 PM

29,991 posts, read 17,444,502 times
You'd have a tough time getting there right now. Flooding from the Missouri river has a stretch of I-29 just north of Omaha at Council Bluffs completely submurged. There's a clue to pick the high ground away from the river instead of the fertile flood plain so many choose to live and farm. I know that wasn't the input you were seeking but I'm sure someone else will chime in shortly.

Unread 06-18-2011, 10:58 PM

593 posts, read 521,166 times
Everybody new to the area seems to love west Omaha for some reason.

West Omaha (west of I-680): Lack of character, good schools, less crime, typical suburb.
East Omaha (east of I-680): High character, good schools, more crime.

Of course, it's not that cut and dry. There are many areas in East Omaha that are "safe" and "quiet". In general, people will tell you to stay out of North Omaha (approximately Dodge street and north, and 72nd street and east) because it is the higest crime area, though I like it, but It probably isn't the best place for a growing family coming from a smaller city. If you want the easy way out, look in west Omaha, but if you put a little more work into it, you can find a truly beautiful house in a perfectly fine area in East Omaha.

Unread 06-19-2011, 04:16 AM

923 posts, read 832,067 times
1. The public school system is very good. All schools allow kids to excel, but millard schools, Elkhorn, Westside and papillion-lavista schools have the highest marks due to their location of well-off kids.
2. Omaha is safe almost everywhere, but the least safe parts of the city is northeast omaha and southeast omaha. Downtown and midtown are safer, but they come next in line. Bellevue would be next and finally West Omaha, Papillion, La Vista, Gretna and West Omaha are the safest.
3. Winter driving is hardly an issue. There are maybe 5-7 (up to 8-9 on the very bad years) days a year that the roads become a major problem. The climate in Omaha still calls for very cold January's, but every month of the year in Omaha is substantially warmer than Fargo. We also get much less snow at 28 inches a year.
4. There are manufacturing jobs in the area if that is what you are specifically looking for. Otherwise, there are many jobs here that do not require a degree. The metro area workforce has approximately 500,000 working adults (900,000 total people).

Unread 06-19-2011, 07:36 AM

10,199 posts, read 8,155,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busguy2010 View Post
In general, people will tell you to stay out of North Omaha (approximately Dodge street and north, and 72nd street and east) because it is the higest crime area, though I like it, but It probably isn't the best place for a growing family coming from a smaller city.
Look like its time to drag out the soapbox again. I promise, I'm not picking on you though.

Guys, let's stop referring to "North Omaha" as everything north of Dodge and east of 72nd. That is incredibly inaccurate and is a major disservice to the cultural and historic boundaries of our fair city, no matter how common the term is these days. Unfortunately, it is tough to pin point exactly what "North Omaha" is because unlike South Omaha, Benson, Dundee...etc, it was never it's own town with well laid out boundaries, so it's open to interpretation. That said, I point you to two of the better posts I've seen regarding this topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kite eating tree View Post
edited: quoted someone for reference and forgot to unquote them as this post wasn't meant to be directed at them.

Benson is Benson. Florence is Florence. Neither are small towns, rather they are neighborhoods that at one time were small towns somewhat west and far north, respectively, of what was once Omaha some one hundred years ago.

Someone already mentioned this, but geographically they are in the quadrant of what is called north (lowercase n) Omaha, but they are not what is considered North (uppercase N) Omaha.

The quadrant is made up of many once-towns. East Omaha, Saratoga, Florence, Benson and parts of Dundee. Yes even parts of Dundee would be considered north Omaha if it was as simple as north of dodge, east of 72nd and we can all agree that Dundee is hardly reminiscent of what people commonly refer to and characterize as North Omaha.

Several neighborhoods dot the area as well, including: Bemis Park, Gifford Park, Gold Coast, Hillside and the very nice (much nicer than most of west Omaha) Raven Oaks.

The Near North Side is what people think of when they talk about North Omaha. This part of town lies within the boundaries of Cuming to Locust and 30th to 16th, more or less.

Benson is a great neighborhood on the southwest side near Fairacres and Dundee, but gets a bit more "rough" north of the Northwest Radial.

Florence is a beautiful neighborhood and quiet. You need to travel through some rough areas to get there, but it's very similar to southern Benson and even the more modest parts of Dundee.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but so many people cut Omaha into these convenient pieces without knowing anything about what they are talking about.

West Omaha is not nearly as congenial and happy as people want it to be and north Omaha is hardly Compton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
Responded to the other message thread on Benson.

In regards to "North Omaha" as a neighborhood you are probably looking at somewhere between the river and 16th as the eastern boundary; downtown Omaha as the southern edge; Florence neighborhood on the north; and a squiggly line somewhere between 30th & 42nd on the west....

From a geographical perspective everything north and south is measured from Dodge street so anything north of that line has a northern designation (e.g. 1000 N 7nd is 10 blocks north of Dodge on 72nd where 1000 S 72nd is 10 blocks south of Dodge)....

Unread 06-19-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Look like its time to drag out the soapbox again. I promise, I'm not picking on you though.

Guys, let's stop referring to "North Omaha" as everything north of Dodge and east of 72nd. That is incredibly inaccurate and is a major disservice to the cultural and historic boundaries of our fair city, no matter how common the term is these days. Unfortunately, it is tough to pin point exactly what "North Omaha" is because unlike South Omaha, Benson, Dundee...etc, it was never it's own town with well laid out boundaries, so it's open to interpretation. That said, I point you to two of the better posts I've seen regarding this topic.
Dude, I know what North Omaha is. I was simplifying it for an out of towner that probably doesn't have much idea where Cuming street is, where NW Radial HWY is, where 60th is or where ever all the other little "boundaries" are. Just like I told the OP, there are many safe areas in eastern Omaha, and in the northeastern quadrant of Omaha, at that. There is Dundee, Benson, Gifford Park, Bemis Park, Florence, Fairacres, North Downtown and the Riverfront; All of which are north of Dodge. Not everybody needs to see the whole "Where the **** is North Omaha argument", so spare it.

Unread 06-19-2011, 02:28 PM

696 posts, read 787,846 times
Quote:
Dude, I know what North Omaha is. I was simplifying it for an out of towner that probably doesn't have much idea where Cuming street is, where NW Radial HWY is, where 60th is or where ever all the other little "boundaries" are. Just like I told the OP, there are many safe areas in eastern Omaha, and in the northeastern quadrant of Omaha, at that. There is Dundee, Benson, Gifford Park, Bemis Park, Florence, Fairacres, North Downtown and the Riverfront; All of which are north of Dodge. Not everybody needs to see the whole "Where the **** is North Omaha argument", so spare it.
Well if they can use these forums they can probably use google maps and
if you think they can't then make a map picture for them.

My nephew bought a nice little house about 3 blocks north of Dodge on 40th street years ago. He hasn't had a single problem and he got a nice central location for driving to work without paying an arm and a leg.

Unread 06-19-2011, 02:47 PM

10,199 posts, read 8,155,478 times
Quote:
You know, I put that little "I'm not picking on you" line in there to convey a respectful tone of my post as you've been here awhile and I didn't want to flame you like I would some of the trolls, so I think you could at least drop the confrontational tone of your post.

That said, we're talking neighborhood boundaries here, not Calculus. The eastern part of Omaha has a fairly well laid out grid pattern to make it all simple. You calling an entire quarter of the city "North Omaha" and saying it has the "highest crime" just perpetuates the stereotype, even if it's unintentional.

Unread 06-19-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
You know, I put that little "I'm not picking on you" line in there to convey a respectful tone of my post as you've been here awhile and I didn't want to flame you like I would some of the trolls, so I think you could at least drop the confrontational tone of your post.

That said, we're talking neighborhood boundaries here, not Calculus. The eastern part of Omaha has a fairly well laid out grid pattern to make it all simple. You calling an entire quarter of the city "North Omaha" and saying it has the "highest crime" just perpetuates the stereotype, even if it's unintentional.

You must know I know where North Omaha is, though. I thought by quoting my statement you were targeting me for a "smack down", when I didn't believe I was being one of those people for simplifying the boundaries, because, being here for a while, I know a lot of people get heated in argument about the boundaries. I thought I would exclude the details about the difference between the demographic and geographic boundaries to spare any confusion. Although I thought since I mentioned that there are various areas in east Omaha that are not "bad", that would protect me from any emphasis or correction to my post. That being said, I mistook the tone of your post and I apologize for the tone of mine.

Unread 06-19-2011, 06:29 PM

7 posts, read 13,728 times
Another question I have is what are the people like in Omaha? Here in Fargo our population is 106,000 people, but I don't see any sort of "big city" snobbery here in Fargo. I know that Omaha is much larger than Fargo, but I am also curious how well my wife and would "fit in" to Omaha. I just don't want to stereotype the area and it's residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha