U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 08:57 PM

624 posts, read 1,104,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
How is TD Ameritrade Park an upgrade over Rosenblatt? If the whole argument is that it's downtown now, we're finding out this week that it's still too far from downtown for most people to walk. If you have to get in your car to go from the stadium to the Old Market, which most people are doing, I have a hard time classifying it as downtown.
Have you been to the park? If you have not, go there and you will see why it's better than Rosenblatt. Just from television shots, people can see that theres much greater exposure of the modern and progressive aspect of Omaha. At Rosenblatt, they'd just see the zoo and wonder why they have the CWS in such an inactive town. Then they see shots from TDAP and they'll see that Omaha is a big city.

People don't at all need to get in their cars to travel the distance from TDAP to the Old Market. If people are taking their cars it's because they are lazy and don't want to walk that not-all-that-large distance (One improvement that is greatly needed however is a pedestrian bridge from 10th street to the Bob Kerry bridge, which is in the downtown master plan). Or they just think they're above using the stadium circulator, which by no means a bad service. The stadium circulator is roughly the street car route that is in the downtown master plan, and based on the effectiveness of the stadium circulator, a streetcar would see even bigger success even year-round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 10:05 PM

852 posts, read 1,197,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
How is TD Ameritrade Park an upgrade over Rosenblatt? If the whole argument is that it's downtown now, we're finding out this week that it's still too far from downtown for most people to walk. If you have to get in your car to go from the stadium to the Old Market, which most people are doing, I have a hard time classifying it as downtown.
I went to Fan Fest on Friday and walked from the parking garage beneath Farrell's to the stadium. Farrell's is just a couple of blocks away from the Old Market. It took maybe 15 minutes to make the walk. I also saw 50 or so others walking from where we were to the stadium. I'm sure that some people drive but it's laziness and it's not any quicker once you have to look for parking.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:11 PM

306 posts, read 601,062 times
I've walked from the Old Market to the Qwest Center for concerts before and it's not that bad of a jog.

There's no doubt that a lot of memories were made at Rosenblatt and it had a good run. It will be sad to see Rosenblatt go, but there's nothing anyone can do at this point. TD Ameritrade will be a good thing for the city in the long run both directly and indirectly.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:24 PM

816 posts, read 1,418,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
The reason I'm against it.

I honestly wonder if the rest of the country think we're all a bunch of saps for spending $150 million on a stadium to be used 2 weeks out of the year? Do they think Omaha has nothing better going for them that we shell out that much money for college baseball?

I think it's great that Creighton signed on to play their games there...but we didn't know they would at the time it was built.
Why do people like you keep insisting the stadium will only be used for 2 weeks of the year? Other than fueling their own deluded ideas I don't see a point. Creighton will play at the stadium. We have the nighthawks that will also be playing football there. Then there is the week long music festival in July. I am sure that the city will find other uses as well. Even IF the CWS was it's only use, that alone will pay for the stadium.

And @DTO Luv, IF CWS inc. wants a new stadium they would have to ask omaha. If Omaha said no there is nothing that CWS inc. could do. IF they decided to back out they would have to pay off the remaining debt on the stadium. It's in the contract we signed. So Omaha is taking no risk for a large gain.

@MountainMen, There is less than a mile between the stadium and the old maket. Your talking about 15 minutes or less to walk there. I am on the heavy side and a walk of that distance in no way makes me think twice about walking.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:07 AM

280 posts, read 711,157 times
To those who are viewing this forum for informational purposes (especially out-of-towners) please understand that some posters (I think you can guess who they are) constantly come to this site stating views that are, to use a kinder phrase "contrarian". They belittle everything. I'm sure a psychologist would become richer beyond their dreams if they were clients. That being said, using the old olympic judging standard; throw out the highest and the lowest scores to come up with the truth.

Now, on to the point at hand. No, the world won't see us as saps for building this stadium. I have attended several games already and it is a fantastic venue. It showcases Omaha much better than the Blatt ever did. If you consider that Omaha skews with the Lincolns and Des Moines of America their unwillingness or inability to make the effort and spend the money has left them in the dust.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:18 AM

688 posts, read 1,059,241 times
I think it great! And I love the downtown area-it is really booming!

I will make sure to schedule my flights in and out of Epply when the stadium and the Qwest Center are empty.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:18 AM

138 posts, read 218,790 times
I AM the outside view. Im in California.
It makes Omaha look better and far more cosmopolitan.
If you dont like your "tax dollars" being spent on civic improvements then you are free to move to Wahoo and hole yourself up all alone with all your money and never ever have to worry about supporting anything you dont personally like.

Looks like the rest of the city is trying to HAVE a city. And they are doing a terrific job of late.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:26 AM

138 posts, read 218,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessep28 View Post
I've walked from the Old Market to the Qwest Center for concerts before and it's not that bad of a jog.
The fact that you are even having to bother to say this is blowing my mind and its indicative of a mindset that is very much part of the problem.
What is it, 4 blocks? Five?

Too many lazyass Nebraskans expecting to drive their fat asses door-to-door everywhere, I swear.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:11 PM

624 posts, read 1,104,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
The fact that you are even having to bother to say this is blowing my mind and its indicative of a mindset that is very much part of the problem.
What is it, 4 blocks? Five?

Too many lazyass Nebraskans expecting to drive their fat asses door-to-door everywhere, I swear.
You've got it! Although, those type of people are becoming less the majority each year that goes by, thankfully.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:18 PM

906 posts, read 1,537,008 times
Just because people have made the walk, doesn't mean the masses are doing it. Both Gene Leahy and the Old Market have been surprisingly empty this week. I can't explain it without saying the majority of people are still depending on their cars. I'll give you that the skyline is now in the background, but other than that I don't see any aspect of TD Ameritrade that is better than a renovated Rosenblatt would have been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or