U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 11:24 AM

6,486 posts, read 5,668,753 times

Advertisements

The reason I'm against it.

I honestly wonder if the rest of the country think we're all a bunch of saps for spending $150 million on a stadium to be used 2 weeks out of the year? Do they think Omaha has nothing better going for them that we shell out that much money for college baseball?

I think it's great that Creighton signed on to play their games there...but we didn't know they would at the time it was built.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 12:23 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,811,088 times
$131 million is the number that has been reported time and time again first off.

Also, really doubt people around the country are saying Omaha has nothing better going for them than college baseball. They are probably more likely to be saying wow Omaha must have a lot going for it if it can support a stadium of this caliber without a major league tenant.

By the way these two weeks every year for the next 25 will help more than pay for this place. Every Creighton, Nighthawk, Red Sky and whatever else thing happens at TD will just be the gravy on top.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
$131 million is the number that has been reported time and time again first off.

Also, really doubt people around the country are saying Omaha has nothing better going for them than college baseball. They are probably more likely to be saying wow Omaha must have a lot going for it if it can support a stadium of this caliber without a major league tenant.

By the way these two weeks every year for the next 25 will help more than pay for this place. Every Creighton, Nighthawk, Red Sky and whatever else thing happens at TD will just be the gravy on top.
perhaps. I honestly question if we kind of just got it handed to us during the negotiations with the NCAA.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:04 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,192,394 times
I agree with Calvinist. Not that we have nothing better to do than college baseball, but that it was insanely stupid to build a baseball stadium without a baseball tenant. Yeah we may have this event on lock now, but what happens in the future when they want a new stadium? Are they going to threaten to move it again?

I would rather have had the Royals move DT and the NCAA could take their event elsewhere. Those 2 weeks a year for the serious mean much less to the health of North DT overall.

I don't care for the way the city caved to every demand the NCAA made. We basically got bent over and then tried to keep bending. The stadium was originally supposed to have shops around the outside so it wasn't barren on those long blocks but MECA said the stadium was a stadium "not a shopping mall". The Royals felt they needed a smaller stadium and collapsible/removable seating was pitched but the NCAA felt it was "tacky" for their event. The stadium was more about how to make the NCAA money than how to make the city of Omaha money.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:54 PM

306 posts, read 599,575 times
Rosenblatt was mostly a CWS venue though. The Royals/Golden Spikes/Royals/Storm Chasers never drew consistant crowds.

Most stadium deals are bad for cities and counties but at least the CWS draws in outside money. Creighton games mostly attract local crowds so you have Omaha residents spending their money at TD Ameritrade vs. places such as a restaurant or movie theater where sales tax is collected.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
I agree with Calvinist. Not that we have nothing better to do than college baseball, but that it was insanely stupid to build a baseball stadium without a baseball tenant. Yeah we may have this event on lock now, but what happens in the future when they want a new stadium? Are they going to threaten to move it again?

I would rather have had the Royals move DT and the NCAA could take their event elsewhere. Those 2 weeks a year for the serious mean much less to the health of North DT overall.

I don't care for the way the city caved to every demand the NCAA made. We basically got bent over and then tried to keep bending. The stadium was originally supposed to have shops around the outside so it wasn't barren on those long blocks but MECA said the stadium was a stadium "not a shopping mall". The Royals felt they needed a smaller stadium and collapsible/removable seating was pitched but the NCAA felt it was "tacky" for their event. The stadium was more about how to make the NCAA money than how to make the city of Omaha money.
Don't get me wrong--I very much like the idea that we kept it here. I just wonder if it adds to the "cowtown" image of Omaha--that we built a $130 million stadium to cater to the NCAA.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:01 PM

624 posts, read 1,101,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Don't get me wrong--I very much like the idea that we kept it here. I just wonder if it adds to the "cowtown" image of Omaha--that we built a $130 million stadium to cater to the NCAA.
I understand what you're saying, but I really don't think most people are analyzing it that deep. Most are probably thinking "Wow, this is a really nice stadium. It's missing the old charm of Rosenblatt, but man it's nice." I doubt most are thinking of the money it took and the conditions of the deal. Heck, I bet a lot of the out of towners don't even know how much it cost.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:18 PM

950 posts, read 1,435,303 times
Little late to be against it now, isn't it? The stadium is open and the CWS is happening. I don't think "out of towners" care a bit that it is in Omaha, or would even consider Omaha a "cowtown". The draw is that Omaha is in the center of the country and easily available by air from most places. I have lived in Nebraska (though not Omaha) but have visited Omaha and it is a great city, IMO. And it is a great place for the CWS. Thanks for building it.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:43 PM

852 posts, read 1,194,607 times
I completely disagree. Outside of Warren Buffet and the Henry Doorly Zoo, Omaha is known for the College World Series. It's part of this city's identity and one of the few things that sets it apart. For someone that doesn't following college athletics (and college baseball in particular), this may not seem like a big deal, but it is. The city (and local businesses) make a ton of money on the event even if it only lasts two weeks. Then you add Red Sky, Creighton, Nighthawks, and probably an independent league baseball team next year, the stadium will get plenty of use and justify the cost.

As far as comparing the Royals to the CWS, there's no comparison. Omaha likely would have bailed at some point because they hated playing in Rosenblatt. Now they have also have a much better stadium which is way more fun that Royals games were in Omaha. I've been Werner park four times this year. I don't think I've been to Rosenblatt four times for a Royals game in the last five years combined.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:36 PM

906 posts, read 1,533,002 times
How is TD Ameritrade Park an upgrade over Rosenblatt? If the whole argument is that it's downtown now, we're finding out this week that it's still too far from downtown for most people to walk. If you have to get in your car to go from the stadium to the Old Market, which most people are doing, I have a hard time classifying it as downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or