U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 03:17 PM

4 posts, read 5,463 times

Advertisements

I'm a 23 year old guy moving to Omaha to continue my education this fall. After reading countless threads I've been able to determine that the following areas are considered "decent":

Dundee
Elmwood 55th, Leavenworth
38th south of Q
Midtown- happy hollow, underwood, north to nw radial
45th and Pacific/Woolworth
East of 72nd in Midtown
90th and Center area
Millard
District 66 area
Papillion
Bellevue
Elkhorn
La Vista
Ralston
Gretna
Bennington
Hanscom park
Little Italy
Gifford park

I've also read that PJ Morgan, Lund, and NP Dodge are places that are to be avoided. The same would be said of some areas of the northeast and southeast sections of the city, east of about 30th from what other students have told me.

I'm trying to set up times to view 1br apartments for a scouting trip I have coming up that are within my budget ($750 for rent and utilities added together). I'd assume probably a $600 or less apartment and $150 for electricity/gas/water/trash/internet/parking for 1 car. I've been using padmapper.com, rentping.com, rent.com, apartmentratings.com and others that I'm probably forgetting with mixed results.

My question is:

Are there any certain areas that I should focus on the most? I'd prefer to be within a 10 minute drive of the UNMC, but can deal with being farther away to the southwest if the apartment is nice, budget friendly and not too loud.

Thanks in advance.

Is I-80 still passable to get to Omaha?

Last edited by vwsandvino; 07-02-2011 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: Forgot to ask about I-80
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 07:31 AM

13,879 posts, read 19,048,872 times
First off, welcome to the forum and good luck with your move! We've got a pretty good group of people here who will help you out with your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwsandvino View Post
I'm a 23 year old guy moving to Omaha to continue my education this fall. After reading countless threads I've been able to determine that the following areas are considered "decent":

Dundee
Elmwood 55th, Leavenworth
38th south of Q
Midtown- happy hollow, underwood, north to nw radial
45th and Pacific/Woolworth
East of 72nd in Midtown
90th and Center area
Millard
District 66 area
Papillion
Bellevue
Elkhorn
La Vista
Ralston
Gretna
Bennington
Hanscom park
Little Italy
Gifford park
Those are all good places, but that list is certainly not all inclusive. Just off the top of my head I see Benson and Florence missing, and those are both very nice areas.

Quote:
I've also read that PJ Morgan, Lund, and NP Dodge are places that are to be avoided.
Unfortunately, that will take a whole lot of property out of consideration for you. While there are legitimate gripes regarding these companies, I wouldn't completely rule them out.

Quote:
The same would be said of some areas of the northeast and southeast sections of the city, east of about 30th from what other students have told me.
That is way too general. There are plenty of decent areas east of 30th street. The area north of Ames from about 42nd and going east can be sketchy, but there are still decent areas even in there.

Quote:
I'm trying to set up times to view 1br apartments for a scouting trip I have coming up that are within my budget ($750 for rent and utilities added together). I'd assume probably a $600 or less apartment and $150 for electricity/gas/water/trash/internet/parking for 1 car. I've been using padmapper.com, rentping.com, rent.com, apartmentratings.com and others that I'm probably forgetting with mixed results.
That sounds perfectly doable. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding a place in that range.

Quote:
My question is:

Are there any certain areas that I should focus on the most? I'd prefer to be within a 10 minute drive of the UNMC, but can deal with being farther away to the southwest if the apartment is nice, budget friendly and not too loud.
Sounds like Midtown, Dundee and Benson are your best bets.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:45 AM

481 posts, read 1,149,362 times
I would also say that Midtown, Dundee, and Benson should probably be at the top of your list.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:05 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,825,329 times
Aksarben Village would be another great spot for you.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:59 PM

30 posts, read 89,732 times
Aksarben Village is very nice and very close, probably out of your price range though if $750 with utilities is your upper limit. Keep in mind though utilities are rather cheap in Omaha. $50 should cover your electric/gas/water. Trash and parking are usually included in your rent in Omaha. There are other apartments close by that won't be as quite as nice, but definitely will be within your price range.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:50 PM

92 posts, read 163,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyrindone View Post
Aksarben Village is very nice and very close, probably out of your price range though if $750 with utilities is your upper limit. Keep in mind though utilities are rather cheap in Omaha. $50 should cover your electric/gas/water. Trash and parking are usually included in your rent in Omaha. There are other apartments close by that won't be as quite as nice, but definitely will be within your price range.
Aksarban Village is definitely out of that range. The studios start at $795 for rent alone.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:51 PM

Thanks for the input everybody. After visiting a lot of different places, I found an apartment in Midtown that seems to suit me pretty well. I move in a few weeks, just have to figure out all the utilies and stuff.

I was told the OPPD Level Payment Plan is the most logical thing to do, especially when on a student budget. So I have to set that up.

Gas/water are through some company that the complex uses, they send me a bill each month so I don't have to set that up.

What is there for internet that's reasonably priced? Cox is pretty overpriced if you ask me, from looking at their website.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:17 PM

6,486 posts, read 5,663,796 times
Quote:
Thanks for the input everybody. After visiting a lot of different places, I found an apartment in Midtown that seems to suit me pretty well. I move in a few weeks, just have to figure out all the utilies and stuff.

I was told the OPPD Level Payment Plan is the most logical thing to do, especially when on a student budget. So I have to set that up.

Gas/water are through some company that the complex uses, they send me a bill each month so I don't have to set that up.

What is there for internet that's reasonably priced? Cox is pretty overpriced if you ask me, from looking at their website.
Definitely do the level budget plan.

As for internet? Cox really is the way to go. You might get cheaper DSL from the phone company, but Cox will give you a much faster connection. I think their base package runs about $30/month for a 3 MB connection. They'll try to sell you their mid-tier package for up to 9 MB or so...but ask about the cheaper one.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:38 AM

816 posts, read 1,412,215 times
Quote:
And this is the problem with ISP's in the united states. In most other countries you have choice of 4 more more broadband connections. While in America you are lucky if you have 2.

That said, cox really is about the only game in town. Sure you have Qwest, but their speed sucks and I had the chance to use it and it was unusable for gaming. The packet latency was too high.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:58 PM

I wound up biting the bullet and getting COX internet.

The whole wheel tax thing was kinda confusing, but since I'm a student I was able to get an exemption sticker.

If I have any more questions about the city and such I'll be sure to ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or