U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-14-2011, 06:22 PM

305 posts, read 325,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Me either. Hopefully Billie will come back and share his opinion on that.
I hope so too. Maybe the underlying logic is that, assuming they own a house in Omaha, part of their salary would be returned through city property tax levies and other taxes.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 07:41 PM

25 posts, read 21,851 times
I tend to think you should live in the city as well- but you can't do that to people already on the department. That would be ridiculous. They've already settled down somewhere and it wouldn't be right to force them to uproot.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:55 PM

305 posts, read 325,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchStanton View Post
I tend to think you should live in the city as well- but you can't do that to people already on the department. That would be ridiculous. They've already settled down somewhere and it wouldn't be right to force them to uproot.
How would dictating where city officials live help the city in terms of the job they do?

Old 07-14-2011, 09:19 PM

772 posts, read 646,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessep28 View Post
How would dictating where city officials live help the city in terms of the job they do?
The ONLY reason I can think is that their actions then might reflect on their service. If Omaha's police chief lived in the city he would be 'motivated' to step things up.

Not that I agree with it , just playing devils advocate here.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:25 PM

837 posts, read 758,804 times
I think someone who lives in the city would not only have a better idea of the pulse of what's going on, but they would have "skin in the game" in terms of what they are protecting and serving. It's kind of like a CEO of a big corporation owning stock in the company. It shows they believe in what they are doing.

A chief living out the city says to me that the city is so dangerous he doesn't want his family there. Just like a CEO with zero stock holdings says he doesn't believe in the company he works for.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:03 PM

52 posts, read 30,601 times
I don't get it, Omaha is always trying to claim an inclusive Metro area that goes all the way to Lincoln. But now being south of Harrison we might as well be in North Platte?

So does the chief need to not only move into Omaha, or is he gonna need to live east of 680 to appease you? 72nd? 42nd? 24th? In the police HQ?

Old 07-15-2011, 06:44 AM

15,909 posts, read 11,382,278 times
Philadelphia has a strict residency requirement which seems to work fine. I don't want emergency personnel hours away

Old 07-15-2011, 09:20 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,749,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Me either. Hopefully Billie will come back and share his opinion on that.
well, cause it shows they actually care about and love omaha

and I agree with mountainmen

A chief living out the city says to me that the city is so dangerous he doesn't want his family there. Just like a CEO with zero stock holdings says he doesn't believe in the company he works for.

I btw could care less where within city limits Hayes lives in. He could live in Elkhorn or near Millard West and It wouldnt be a problem.

him and other city leaders living down in Bellevue or Plattsmouth or Valley or up in Blair or Council Bluffs

I think is sending the wrong message and some city leaders like Hayes is implying the city of Omaha is so dangerous they doesn't want their families there

it's like all the OPS staff who talk about how good OPS is and then they send their kids to private schools or other school districts.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:22 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,749,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
The ONLY reason I can think is that their actions then might reflect on their service. If Omaha's police chief lived in the city he would be 'motivated' to step things up.

Not that I agree with it , just playing devils advocate here.
I agree harsh. since Hayes dont live within Omaha, he like other city leaders dont really care about what is best for Omaha

as long as they get their paycheck

Old 07-15-2011, 10:14 AM
Status: "Never really know a killer from a savior..." (set 23 days ago)

10,553 posts, read 8,803,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
well, cause it shows they actually care about and love omaha
Quote:
I agree harsh. since Hayes dont live within Omaha, he like other city leaders dont really care about what is best for Omaha

as long as they get their paycheck
So only people who live in the city limits can care about and love Omaha? I love and care about Omaha and I live in Florida.

Quote:
I don't think that one holds any water either, sorry. Omaha is not Compton. It's a very safe city all around with plenty of gated communities where they could live and be perfectly safe.

The greater Omaha metro is a very diverse area and while I'm certainly of the opinion that Eastern Omaha is the coolest part, I recognize that not everyone will share that opinion. For whatever reason, some Omaha city workers chose to live outside the city limits and that is their right. I'm sure some city workers of the suburbs have chosen to live inside Omaha city limits and I doubt you'll be calling foul on that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha