Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 07:05 PM

8 posts, read 9,249 times

Advertisements

My husband will soon be employed by the TSA at the airport in Omaha. We are currently living in Washington State, so this will be a big move for us. We are a young family with 4 small kids. As with any area, I know there are good places and not so good places. I know around here, anywhere near the airport is scummy!
I am willing to make him commute a bit for a safer, non scummy area with decent schools. Priorities!!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 07:40 PM

109 posts, read 280,867 times
I hate to be the guy that starts an argument by saying bad things about north omaha...but some areas near the airport can get somewhat sketchy. There are plenty of fine areas in north omaha too, even areas that get a bad rap, like 30th and ames area, or in the 24th and lake area.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:43 PM

I read a bit on these threads about certain places. I saw Bellevue talked about as a good place, not too far of a commute. Moving to a new place, totally blindly, is pretty scary! The more info I can get, the better!

Old 07-08-2011, 08:55 AM

696 posts, read 1,725,455 times
I have read many of these threads about where to live.
I think it is really a point of view.

You are ready to make your husband commute, so that is not a factor.

Your kids school seems the most important, so I would focus on researching schools
and the helpful peeps on this board will then need more info on your kids to help you.

As for "safe" places to live. That can be very subjective from your point of view.
My point of view is the more expensive the neighborhood the less crime which equals more safety.

My nephew and his wife (no kids now or in the near future) bought a house years ago just north of 40th and Dodge. They bought it because of the location for work commutes. They also bought it because it was what they could afford. The neighborhood is definitely lower income and some would say it seems a less then safe place to live. They have never had a problem and have some unique but good hearted neighbors.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:50 AM

I have heard property taxes are really high, so that, and the fact that we don't know the area at all, may make us rent for a while. I know we can get a lot more for our money there than here.
As far as schools, we will have 2 elementary aged kiddos and our babies won't need school for a few years
I just want an area where we can go on walks, there is stuff for the kids to do (parks, community centers, sports, ect..) I just want it all!

Old 07-08-2011, 01:03 PM

696 posts, read 1,725,455 times
While property tax can seem high it evens out when the house cost so much less.
You can google tax rates.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:32 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,683,859 times
Also, if you don't mind telling, what is your budget for a house?

Old 07-08-2011, 07:37 PM

We would like to stay under 200,000.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:13 AM

32 posts, read 95,108 times
Your idea to rent might be your best way to go for now. That would give you a while to really get to know the city a bit, what the commute would be like, and all the areas before you shell out 200 grand. That way you might not feel like you made a rushed choice or made a mistake.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:22 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,469,027 times
There are plenty of places within a reasonable driving distance. You can get a new production Hearthstone home in the "Turnbridge" development which is close to Wenninghoff and Sorenson. Or there are established neighborhoods in that same area around Wenninghoff and Cunningham Lake that would be a reasonable drive to the airport.

This is not the best spot in town, but it's not the worst either. You have easy access to shopping and the interstate. The school is Omaha Northwest, which I don't know much about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha