U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 02:15 PM

2,750 posts, read 5,793,400 times

Advertisements

Question: What are the coldest temps that Omaha sees for HIs and LOs in the winter? Not to be confused with averages or records....and granted, there is variation from year to year....but is it considered shocking if there is a low 20 below zero? Or would that just be an especially cold night, nothing more nothing less?

During cold snaps, what are the coldest hi and low temps you typically see? Are there days where the HIs don't get above 0?

I have looked at the records so I know "all time" extremes, but I am curious about the more run of the mill deviations from the normals in winter. Any other insight would be appreciated...

Also, how long does the snow stay on the ground? Is it consistent throughout the season or is it a melt-thaw-freeze-snow- cycle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 02:49 PM

163 posts, read 174,972 times
-10 or so is crazy cold. It'll be a topic of conversation around the water cooler, for sure. That said, I wouldn't call it a very rare happening. Days with highs of 0 are again, outliers but not especially rare. Make no mistake, Omaha gets bitterly cold, and when you factor in the wind, einters can be really annoying.

As for the snow, it sticks around for a while. A few weeks or so, but it slowly decays into a grey slush. It's bothersome for only a part of the time it's on the ground. Then it's just kind of a weird, ugly part of the scenery.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:03 PM

796 posts, read 744,038 times
Overall each winter is hit or miss. Some winters are very warm with many 50 days and others will have days where you can't get above 0. Most winters though are ok, with most days getting to around freezing, or slightly above.

As for the snowpack, again it's hit or miss. Some winters we have very little snow pack that melts within days after it falls. Other winters we can have snow pack for MONTHS. Most of the time though the snow might stick around a week, to a week and a half. But snow that sticks around more than 2 weeks is not common.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:46 PM

2,447 posts, read 2,196,779 times
It really seems to vary year by year, but the previous posts seem to hit it.

Snow seems to stick around for ages, unless you get the snow storm followed by the freak warm streak that melts it all within a day (which does happen). Then again, in 09-10 we got hammered with snow (tons of it) for like 3 months straight and it didnt finish melting off until like April.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:54 PM

883 posts, read 878,920 times
I believe the last two winters we had nights that hit 20 below zero. Omaha is kind of like Russia, with nothing geographically to moderate the temperatures. That's why you see extremes in both the summer and winter weather. If you're here in the winter, you have to be ready for days when the morning lows are negative degrees and the highs struggle to get positive. Just buy some good long underwear, a hat, and gloves and you'll survive.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:23 AM

2,766 posts, read 3,886,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
Question: What are the coldest temps that Omaha sees for HIs and LOs in the winter? Not to be confused with averages or records....and granted, there is variation from year to year....but is it considered shocking if there is a low 20 below zero? Or would that just be an especially cold night, nothing more nothing less?

During cold snaps, what are the coldest hi and low temps you typically see? Are there days where the HIs don't get above 0?

I have looked at the records so I know "all time" extremes, but I am curious about the more run of the mill deviations from the normals in winter. Any other insight would be appreciated...

Also, how long does the snow stay on the ground? Is it consistent throughout the season or is it a melt-thaw-freeze-snow- cycle?
I use a motorcycle as my main source of transportation. When I was younger I rode every day no matter what but now that I am in my sixties I take the car when conditions are too bad for the motorcycle. This past Winter I didn't take the motorcycle out of the garage at all in January (first time in fifty years I didn't ride at least once every month of the year). During February I rode the cycle two or three times but used the car for most everything. There were some icy conditions during March but I was still able to put a few hundred miles on the bike during the month.

Cold is immaterial. You can put on enough clothes to stay warm even when it is thirty below. Cold affects my routine when it is too cold for the motorcycle to start. That is the main reason I don't ride a Harley.

GL2

Last edited by Gunluvver2; 08-07-2011 at 10:51 AM..

Old 08-07-2011, 02:00 PM

2,750 posts, read 5,793,400 times
I am pretty shocked at how brutal Omaha seems. I was under the impression (mistakenly) that Kansas City, not too far away, had somewhat shorter, less brutal winters...so I erroneously assumed Omaha's winters would be similar albeit it slightly colder. Aparently those bitter cold airmasses modify quite a bit, just to the south of the Nebraska state line???

PS: Do locals consider Omaha the upper or lower midwest?

Last edited by Chelito23; 08-07-2011 at 02:11 PM..

Old 08-07-2011, 03:47 PM

163 posts, read 174,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
I am pretty shocked at how brutal Omaha seems. I was under the impression (mistakenly) that Kansas City, not too far away, had somewhat shorter, less brutal winters...so I erroneously assumed Omaha's winters would be similar albeit it slightly colder. Aparently those bitter cold airmasses modify quite a bit, just to the south of the Nebraska state line???

PS: Do locals consider Omaha the upper or lower midwest?
Neither, really. I usually hear Omaha, and Nebraska as a whole referred to as either just the Midwest, or a Plains State. In practice, Nebraska has more in common with Kansas, Iowa, and Missouri, than it does with the Dakotas, Minnesota, or Wisconsin, though, if that's what you're asking.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:02 PM

109 posts, read 138,970 times
A very hot day is over 100 degrees. You might casually say, "Wow hot day isn't it" when you see someone, but you will still see everybody out doing business as usual. the same goes for temperatures below 15 degrees. Many people in the Omaha area know much more about and associate with kansas and missouri than the dakotas or minnesota. It is "un-heard-of" to "hear-of" this part of the country to be in the upper midwest. It is definately considered lower midwest by most people.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:39 PM

933 posts, read 997,202 times
The Russia comparison is actually pretty extreme when you consider how cold it gets in Siberia. Across a great portion of Siberia you see temps not surpassing -40 for three straight months. Omaha only sees 15 days of below freezing highs (Jan 2nd through the 17th at 31 degree average). So comparing Omaha to Russia is like comparing the city to the Sahara desert because it has a few streaks of intense heat (much less than the desert or the south, however).

December 4th through February 16th drops lower than 39/40 (2 months and 12 days; 74 days)
December 20th through January 30st drops lower than 35/34 (1 month and 10 days; 41 days)
January 2nd through January 17th the average high drops below 32 degrees (15 days; 31 every day during this stretch).....

Breakdown:
April 30th through October 10th is very warm (69/70 up to 88 at the peak) for (5 months and 10 days; 163 straight days) - Cold snaps are never a problem
February 16th through December 4th is mild or very warm (9 months and 18 days; 291 days straight) - 40 degree or high temps on average with only a very small possibility of a cold snap (highs below freezing).

November 25th through February 27th averages mild/cool to cool to cold (3 months and 2 days; 94 days) - bitter cold is more rare, but can occur a few times a decade
December 5th through February 15th averages cool to cold (2 months and 12 days) - less likelihood for bitter cold, but a short streak or two a year exists
January 2nd through january 17th averages below freezing (1/2 month or 15 days) - Dead of winter, the most likely to hit bitter cold temps

Last edited by Omahahonors; 08-07-2011 at 08:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: