U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 04:47 PM

463 posts, read 979,045 times

Advertisements

I'd like to create a new open thread and ask people why they moved to Omaha. Nebraskas unemployment rate (4.1% for July 2011) is one of the lowest in the country and I'm curious to know if it's drawing economic refugees from other parts of the country. Are people pulling up stakes and moving to Omaha for work? Or other reasons, family, school,etc,etc?

I'll start. I live in a Colorado resort town now but I'm tired of the pathetic standard of living which is a consequence of an atrocious job market and ridiculously over priced real estate. The rest of the country is in such bad shape, that it seems sensible to "follow the money" to where the jobs are. And that's why Omaha is high on my list. Am I alone in this line of reasoning? I'd like to hear your story. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 05:00 PM
CCJ

55 posts, read 140,516 times
My husband's company was looking to expand their Omaha office so they moved us up here from San Antonio, TX. We have been nothing but impressed with Omaha and feel pretty lucky that we "had" to move here.

My sister lives in a Colorado resort town and I can't believe she still lives there... she works two part time jobs (she cannot get a full time position as a Licensed Practical Nurse), she is always broke and they pay almost as much in rent on a tiny 1 bedroom as we do for our considerably larger house in Omaha.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:47 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,811,707 times
Born here!

Old 08-19-2011, 07:15 PM
Status: "Nevertheless, America's baseball team -- Roar, Tigers, ROAR!" (set 27 days ago)

12,314 posts, read 7,460,487 times
Back in 1999, I had been working (as an independent contractor) for a friend who onwed a hotel with a large transient/military clientele. Sale of the property left me with a severance check, not much in the way of Unemplyment Compensation, and no immediate commitments.

The house I'd inhrited had been rented out to a fairly-reliable tenant, and with no family commitments, it seemed like a good time to hit the road; previous exposure and a few short-term gigs in the railroad industry had left a favorable impression, so with Union Pacific headquartered in Omaha and Burlington Northern/Santa Fe operating out of a major hub in Lincoln, seemed like a good choice.

So one Sunday morning, after setting up temporary quarters in Red Oak, Iowa, I made my way into downtown Omaha. I picked up work at a temp agency within four days, and was soon reffered to a call-center where my dispatcher's background gave me the inside track. that center had relocated some of its business from Dever preciselty because the latter city was too much of a "party town" ...it was nearly impossible to find reliable help nights or weekends there.

About three months into the experiment, my trusty 1992 Ford gave up the ghost. I made a trip down to the dealerships on 'L' Street, found myself a good used pickup, and with it, a job on a daily courier's run that made more demands on my personal life, but paid somewhat better.

After about six months of that, the view of downtown Fremont at the same time every morning began to wear a bit thin, the railroads had made it clear that they weren't interested in someone pushing 50, and my tenant's lease was about to expire,. Time to head home and clean up the mess.

But I will never forget some of the friends I made, or what it was like to be a successful free agent in a state where a work ethic still counts for something.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:46 PM

816 posts, read 1,414,781 times
Everyone From out of state that I know moved here to get a job. Some moved here from colder northern cities but others moved here from the deep south where they don't get snow. It is always interesting to talk to these people and the fact they always have nice positive things to say about the city.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:25 AM

852 posts, read 1,195,043 times
I was born here but moved away briefly. I came back because it was home. I think that I may move away again at some point but probably just temporarily. I'm not nearly as hellbent on the idea of moving like I was when I was younger. I have grown to love the city despite its quirks. I'm also impressed with all of the progress.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:33 PM

13,908 posts, read 19,083,409 times
I too was born in Omaha. We lived there until 1996 when we moved to the west end of Council Bluffs. In 2002 my family moved us to Tampa Bay, which I never really was a fan of. As most everyone here knows, I was planning on moving back for sometime now. I wanted to move back for a handful of reasons.

- The fact that Omaha is "home" to me.

- Better economic climate.

- Weather (I actually like the snow and changing seasons)

- Low cost of living

- The massive improvements Omaha has made city wide.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:39 PM
xLn

18 posts, read 35,874 times
I moved here after researching the best place to move in the country for over 6 months. Omaha consistantly appears on the top of most lists for affordability, economy, and safety. Moved here in July and had at least 21 phone calls on my resume within a week. My girlfriend got a job in the same amount of time. I moved from tampa/brandon florida and was sick of tourism and all the theme parks (not to mention heat and everything else that sucks about florida). my girlfriend and i are nerds so outdoor activities didn't really concern me. either way - the sti is loving the hills

Old 08-24-2011, 09:30 AM

82 posts, read 65,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCJ View Post
My husband's company was looking to expand their Omaha office so they moved us up here from San Antonio, TX. We have been nothing but impressed with Omaha and feel pretty lucky that we "had" to move here.

My sister lives in a Colorado resort town and I can't believe she still lives there... she works two part time jobs (she cannot get a full time position as a Licensed Practical Nurse), she is always broke and they pay almost as much in rent on a tiny 1 bedroom as we do for our considerably larger house in Omaha.
Out of curiosity, how long have you been in Omaha?

I live just outside of Houston and love the S.A. Area (less humidity than Houston)....however I've got the opportunity to move to Omaha due to work.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:41 PM
CCJ

55 posts, read 140,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBoosted View Post
Out of curiosity, how long have you been in Omaha?

I live just outside of Houston and love the S.A. Area (less humidity than Houston)....however I've got the opportunity to move to Omaha due to work.
We moved here in June 2010.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or