U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 05:08 PM

465 posts, read 371,811 times

Advertisements

Busguy, you have just, unwittingly I'm sure, proven my points for me. The bubble that Omahans seem to live in wouldn't allow you to do or think otherwise. I'm about to leave and happy with that decision. But no city can be all things to all people. Omahans fanciful suggestions that it somehow can are the issue, not my inability to live here. My dissatisfaction with omaha was with the particular people, places and events I experienced. Almost all of them. It is no different that enjoying working for one company and not another in the same professional area. I say this as advice to st.louisian, I am well aware that I do not have the ability to make myself understood among omahans. I just don't speak their language, and they don't speak mine.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:58 PM

852 posts, read 1,195,459 times
This whole argument is ridiculous. Matthew Hall, if you don't like it, leave. Most Omahans are proud of the city that we call home. Of course it's cold here. Of course it does have the amenities of a much larger city. What it does offer are things you'd be hard pressed to find in a city of similiar size. If Omaha is such a terrible place, why is it the home of multiple fortune 500 companies? Why is the metropolitan area continuously rated among the best places to live? Why is the unemployment rate so low?

The simple truth is this: Omaha isn't for everyone but for those can handle the sometimes harsh weather are rewarded with good jobs, low housing costs, good opportunities, a thriving arts scene, great restaurants, and a great place to raise kids.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:06 PM

13,919 posts, read 19,098,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Hall View Post
Which is an even greater difference than the 100,000 people you were off by in the previous post. Nice way to make a comeback there, captain! Now if you're going to talk about the metro, then say metro. The city of Omaha and the Omaha metropolitan area are not the same thing.

Quote:
It is the second coldest on AVERAGE and the windiest on AVERAGE according to the NOAA data. Nothing to do with extremes. NCDC GIS Map Services Index.
Your link doesn't show me any data, it just shows me a page with a bunch of mapping options. Link us directly to the data or failing that, give us specific instructions to reach the same data you referenced.

Quote:
The videos speak for themselves
They do, but that is not the problem. The problem is you taking the anecdotal evidence of a couple videos shot all in the same general geographical area of the city and then acting like it represents the whole. The logic fails.

Quote:
but the desire of some to control the image of Omaha is the real issue here. People told me of the wonders of omaha before I came and refused to acknowledge imperfections of any kind. They weren't being dishonest, they believed every word they said. They just share a sort of collective delusion that blinds them to the truth. This is true to some degree in every place I've lived, it is just much, much more so in Omaha. It is my fault that i didn't investigate more, but their unrealistic image of omaha is their fault no matter how subconscious it is.
Your conspiracy theory is quite funny.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:44 PM

465 posts, read 371,811 times
ymna97, you are the first and only omahan who even made those admissions to me. You need to tell your fellow omahans to at least acknowledge such truths to outsiders as well as to each other if they want to be seen as realistic. By the way, my housing, food and energy costs in cincinnati and st. louis were CHEAPER than in Omaha. I've never paid so much for fruit, vegetables, booze, and clothing. My mortgage payment in cincinnati for a comfortable brick house was less than my rent for much inferior housing in Omaha. Bosco, Metro's are all that really matter. Municipal boundaries are irrelevant to anyone but city gov't officials. I know some in the Omaha area who don't even know whether they legally live in omaha, papillion or bellevue. Omaha is not anecdotally cold and windy, it is so on average. Bosco, are you suggesting that this isn't true? Omaha is for Omahans and not intended for those who might come as adults or others who come from outside the upper plains. I am practically out the door, but someone considering coming to omaha needs to know these things. The defensive, lecturing and charmless responses here are all that st. louisian really needs to know about omaha. It is an accurate reflection of my 3 years in omaha. I thank the responders here for your honesty, even if it is despite their intentions. In the end, you can't help but show your true colors to st. louisian and everybody else. I just wish someone had had the guts to show their true colors before I came. Maybe it is too much to ask people to objectively describe that which they take for granted. But, outsiders have to accept that it isn't for them unless work is all that matters to them or they are willing to entirely recreate themselves to be exactly like the locals in every way. The foreign immigrants I met in omaha actually did well because they were prepared to do just that. I'm not.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:59 PM

816 posts, read 1,415,705 times
I would like to know where you get your data from. Omaha is cold? Hardly. In omaha a solid 8 months of the year you get highs above 50f, and all 12 months average 32 or higher. That's not to say we don't get cold snaps, but on average it's not that cold here.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Hall View Post
ymna97, you are the first and only omahan who even made those admissions to me.
Then you haven't been paying very much attention.

Quote:
By the way, my housing, food and energy costs in cincinnati and st. louis were CHEAPER than in Omaha. I've never paid so much for fruit, vegetables, booze, and clothing. My mortgage payment in cincinnati for a comfortable brick house was less than my rent for much inferior housing in Omaha.
That's funny, since every cost of living locator has Omaha below Cincinnati, especially in regards to utilities.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Cost of Living Calculator: Compare prices in two cities - CNNMoney

Cost of Living comparison calculator

PayScale - Average Cost of Living in Ohio

I think you better start substantiating some of these claims.

Quote:
Bosco, Metro's are all that really matter. Municipal boundaries are irrelevant to anyone but city gov't officials. I know some in the Omaha area who don't even know whether they legally live in omaha, papillion or bellevue.
While we could debate the relevancy of metro vs municipal, it does not change the fact that you said CITY when you meant METRO. They are two very different things, and the number you attributed to the city was WRONG.

Quote:
Omaha is not anecdotally cold and windy, it is so on average. Bosco, are you suggesting that this isn't true?
Why did you dodge my request for actual data? Post it up.

Quote:
Omaha is for Omahans and not intended for those who might come as adults or others who come from outside the upper plains.
Really? That's pretty funny considering that Omaha's population has been growing for decades and even more substantially since 1990, where we added about 75,000 people since then, and I'm sure a good amount of those people came from outside the upper plains.

Once again, the numbers do not support your claims.

Quote:
I am practically out the door, but someone considering coming to omaha needs to know these things. The defensive, lecturing and charmless responses here are all that st. louisian really needs to know about omaha. It is an accurate reflection of my 3 years in omaha. I thank the responders here for your honesty, even if it is despite their intentions. In the end, you can't help but show your true colors to st. louisian and everybody else. I just wish someone had had the guts to show their true colors before I came. Maybe it is too much to ask people to objectively describe that which they take for granted. But, outsiders have to accept that it isn't for them unless work is all that matters to them or they are willing to entirely recreate themselves to be exactly like the locals in every way. The foreign immigrants I met in omaha actually did well because they were prepared to do just that. I'm not.
In matters like this, truth trumps all, and we've already caught you making several claims that fly in the face of verifiable truth, so I wouldn't start deluding yourself into thinking that you're some kind of agent of honesty, or that others will give your statements much credence in light of the evidence.

I wouldn't worry about it too much though. In the few short years that I've been posting here I've seen a large handful of trolls come in here and start spouting off the same nonsense you have, and in fact I have a strong suspicion that one or two people are responsible for it, but I digress. You guys always end up getting losing the debate, much like you already have, and then are never heard from again.

It's an interesting cycle.

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 03:58 AM..

Old 09-08-2011, 09:01 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,218,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebr View Post
You purposefully misled the OP into believing that Omaha is flat.
In my line of work we like to call that "fraud". However, this kind of fraud, fortunately for him, can't be admitted to court

Old 09-08-2011, 09:08 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,218,165 times
Nothing I've never had to deal with in St. Louis (you should have been used to this in Cincinnati). While we thaw more often, don't usually get quite as much snow as Omaha usually or get as bone-chilling cold (but still pretty damn cold IMO), we usually get enough cold and snow for our winters to be considered real (not harsh, but certainly not mild). (STL and Cincy historically average just a few inches of snowfall lower than Omaha). And I've driven in plenty of blizzard/white-out conditions, especially these past few winters. As far as summer goes, both STL and Omaha are pretty hot and humid. But I'm a fan of extreme climates Bring on the blazing heat, the humidity, and the brutal cold. I was raised on both.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Nothing I've never had to deal with in St. Louis (you should have been used to this in Cincinnati). While we thaw more often, don't usually get quite as much snow as Omaha usually or get as bone-chilling cold (but still pretty damn cold IMO), we usually get enough cold and snow for our winters to be considered real (not harsh, but certainly not mild). (STL and Cincy historically average just a few inches of snowfall lower than Omaha). And I've driven in plenty of blizzard/white-out conditions, especially these past few winters. As far as summer goes, both STL and Omaha are pretty hot and humid. But I'm a fan of extreme climates Bring on the blazing heat, the humidity, and the brutal cold. I was raised on both.
It's also worth noting that the blizzard taking place in the videos he linked was the worst Omaha had seen in a decades and is not representative of a "typical" Omaha winter.

Just wanted to point that out.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:33 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,812,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
It's also worth noting that the blizzard taking place in the videos he linked was the worst Omaha had seen in a decades and is not representative of a "typical" Omaha winter.

Just wanted to point that out.
Also the first video, while it looked pretty mean was harmless. I was down at the CWS when it came through and didn't have any problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or