U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 09:25 PM

465 posts, read 371,390 times

Advertisements

Thanks for supplying more evidence of omahans true nature, guys! You're helping me to convince my friends in st. louis and cincinnati of my experiences. Keep it coming!

Old 09-19-2011, 09:31 PM

15,897 posts, read 36,023,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Hall View Post
I think most of what I'm describing happens subconsciously. Most omahans aren't aware of their assumptions. Even if they were, they wouldn't consider them 'negative'. These perceptions are mine and I'm only able to have them because I'm not from the upper plains region. My point isn't that omaha or omahans are worse than anyone or anywhere else, or even that they think that they are better than others. My point is that they don't believe it is possible for anyone to disagree with them.
I've lived in a lot of places, and I don't think I've ever been in any city anywhere in the world who has had an outsider tell them that they suck and everything they do is wrong, and had the outsider be listened to seriously.

That just doesn't happen.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:39 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,811,088 times
Quote:
geog-fanatic. I know it is hard to convince anyone in cincinnati, st. louis, or anywhere else of what my experiences in omaha were really like, either. The best I can do is to tell people to imagine a city and region of people like the Rose Nyland character from the Golden Girls tv show. It is a bit of an exaggeration, but there is a basic truth to the character's depiction of midwesterners. I don't think the me of today could have convinced the me of 3 years ago that omaha people are as they are. I simply wouldn't have believed it. I would have said it was impossible. People don't believe that strangers spent ten minutes with me discussing the fact that my car was parked more than 12 inches from the curb, which is apparently illegal, or that apartment managers commenting on my poor penmanship on my rental application before they would even discuss the rent. Notes left on my car that I shouldn't park somewhere even though it is legal because its somehow bad for the neighborhood. People telling me that I must be so glad to have left st. louis immediately upon meeting me for the first time and without know anything abou me and regular lectures about the countless dangers of kitchen mishaps and purse snatchers filled my almost every interaction in omaha. All the while no one even mentioned the one true and special danger of omaha; its deadly winter weather, in my presence. These were just the tip of the iceberg. I thought I was having some sort of emotional breakdown before i realized I was up against some profound regional cultural difference. It is something you just have to experience and since so few have come to omaha from outside the upper plains as i have, I think few ever will. It has made me a wiser person, but I've learned these things the very HARD way.
For the however many times it has been asked before I want a source. I just googled "Omaha deadly winter weather." Here are some of my findings...

A wiki page about the Schoolhouse Blizzard where children died by freezing to death in small one room schoolhouses in...1888.

There is also a story about a winter ice storm causing 23 deaths...
Quote:
Since the storm began building on Monday, the weather had been blamed for at least six deaths in Texas, four in Arkansas, three in Virginia, five in Missouri, two each in Ohio and Oklahoma, and one in Indiana.
Funny that people died in Ohio and Missouri(two states that house the supposed less dangerous winters of Cincinnati and St. Louis.)

There is a story about the worst winter storm the country has seen in 40 years.
Quote:
Blizzard warnings are in effect for nine states with the storm expected especially to affect Oklahoma City, Kansas City, St. Louis, Detroit, Des Moines, , Chicago and Milwaukee.
St. Louis was mentioned, but oddly enough no Omaha.

So again a source supporting a single claim that you have made would be cool.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:49 PM

Tiger Beer, you're right. It doesn't happen. I've never said or even suggested any of these things to anyone in omaha directly. I've described it to my friends and family in other places, but have kept it entirely to myself as far as anyone in omaha is concerned, except here. I very much doubt that anyone I've known in omaha has any idea that I feel the way I do. I am about to leave and they'll never know how I felt. There must have been others like me and they likely left without a word like me. What good would it do. Even here i'm not interested in telling omahans what i think, I'm telling outsiders considering a move.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:50 PM

More, more, Iamjacobm! I need more evidence for my friends and family.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:54 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,811,088 times
Quote:
More, more, Iamjacobm! I need more evidence for my friends and family.
Still waiting for that link...

Old 09-19-2011, 10:40 PM

906 posts, read 1,533,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
again, you complain about the cigarette smoke in omaha, so yes you're taking about cigarette smog which would be a combination of cigarette smoke and smog.
So you've proved I've complained about cigarette smoke, and I've complained about smog. That doesn't mean you can combine them into the crazy term "cigarette smog" and attribute such a term to me.

That's like me complaining about alligators and flying birds and you quoting me as saying there are "flying alligators" or a "flying alligator epidemic". I'm just saying stop mis-quoting me.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:51 PM

92 posts, read 163,826 times
Can't you people complaining about cold weather afford heaters?

I mean seriously, some people prefer crappy weather. I am one of them. Nothing better to me than waking up to a foot of snow. I guess I'll take bad weather over a 4x increase in being murdered in St. Louis. http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/11s0305.pdf

St. Louis has not only the highest violent crime rate in the country, but the highest property crime rate in the country. What a pitiful city.

Last edited by Swarley55; 09-19-2011 at 10:59 PM..

Old 09-20-2011, 12:11 AM

Still need more evidence. . . keep it coming!

Old 09-20-2011, 04:06 AM

13,890 posts, read 19,073,459 times
Quote:
Thanks for supplying more evidence of omahans true nature, guys! You're helping me to convince my friends in st. louis and cincinnati of my experiences. Keep it coming!
Don't try to bull**** us. We know you don't have any friends.

But, just for ****s and giggles, how do your friends feel about me catching you in a couple based lies and your inability to support your statements with any hard data?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or