U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 08:56 PM

13,889 posts, read 19,070,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by schues View Post
The attractions listed are excellent. My top 3 would be Zoo, Old Market/Riverfront/pedestrian bridge, and Durham Museum. I don't think anyone mentioned Lauritzen Gardens--that's a good one, too. If you want to get out of town a bit, I would head to I-80 exit 426 (about 25 minutes outside Omaha). There you will find the Air and Space Museum, the Wildlife Safari (drive-through zoo owned/run by the Henry Doorly Zoo), and Mahoney State Park (Nebraska's most popular state park, with hiking trails, an observation tower with a view of the Platte River, fishing, paddleboat rentals, horseback riding, huge indoor playground if you've got little ones, a nice lodge with restaurant, etc.--I believe these should all still be running this time of year; they also have a waterpark in the summer and ice skating and sledding in the winter). You can stay quite cheaply in the lodge or in one of the cabins at Mahoney.

I agree that La Sole Mio is overrated. If you want Italian/Pizza, go to La Casa (40-something & Leavenworth), or Malara's. Zio's Pizza is also good (several locations--the original is downtown). Another Omaha classic is Piccolo's (also called Piccolo Pete's), Warren Buffett's favorite.

If anything brings you to the Bellevue area, China Road is very nice (between 36th and 42nd on Hwy 370, by Nobbies).
Just a head up, Gorat's is Buffet's favorite place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 01:01 AM

816 posts, read 1,413,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Quite right! He is even buying the place according to the OWH. However I am not impressed with them, but I am not a steak person so that could be it .

Old 10-03-2011, 08:24 PM

41 posts, read 109,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
I dunno...I have personally seen him at Piccolo's and when some guy won a dinner out with him at a charity auction, they went to Piccolo's...

I'm sure he likes both, lol.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:42 AM

58 posts, read 153,455 times
So had our weekend in Omaha. Nice town....but the roadways were AWFUL (by which I mean - difficult to navigate!!! lots of non parallel/perpendicular intersections and turns!!!)

Anyway!

We had dinner at McFoster's and it was fabulous! I would definitely recommend it to anyone visiting the area

Oh, and the family went to the zoo and loved it Also said the market area (especially at Farmer's Market time) was fabulous!

Old 10-07-2011, 11:48 AM

41 posts, read 109,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misdyl View Post
So had our weekend in Omaha. Nice town....but the roadways were AWFUL (by which I mean - difficult to navigate!!! lots of non parallel/perpendicular intersections and turns!!!)
Strange...this is the exact opposite of my personal experience (and what I hear from most people). There are few major streets that are not on a strict grid system. The only place I sometimes have trouble is downtown due to the one-ways. Where were you going?

Old 10-07-2011, 06:29 PM

816 posts, read 1,413,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schues View Post
Strange...this is the exact opposite of my personal experience (and what I hear from most people). There are few major streets that are not on a strict grid system. The only place I sometimes have trouble is downtown due to the one-ways. Where were you going?
misdyl lives in a small town in Kansas (Andover), so that may be why the streets seem difficult to navigate. Andover is a suburb of Wichita and is like every other suburb, few main roads, and a lot of winding residential roads. I navigate Omaha's streets on bicycle and have no problems getting around.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:58 AM

906 posts, read 1,532,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
misdyl lives in a small town in Kansas (Andover), so that may be why the streets seem difficult to navigate.
If misdyl lives in a suburb of Wichita, I imagine he/she has plenty of experience driving in a big city. Wichita has a population of 382 thousand, similar to Omaha's 408 thousand. This just looks like you trying to discredit someone because they have one negative opinion about Omaha. If anything, an unbiased observer's opinion should carry the most weight.

Old 10-08-2011, 03:04 PM

13,889 posts, read 19,070,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
If misdyl lives in a suburb of Wichita, I imagine he/she has plenty of experience driving in a big city. Wichita has a population of 382 thousand, similar to Omaha's 408 thousand. This just looks like you trying to discredit someone because they have one negative opinion about Omaha. If anything, an unbiased observer's opinion should carry the most weight.
Let's be serious here. He was not "discrediting" her. He was offering an explanation as to why she might have had trouble navigating roads.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:19 PM

6,122 posts, read 6,417,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
Nobody is trying to discredit anyone. Roads in Omaha are easy to figure out. It's a grid for crying out loud! I moved to a much smaller city (70K) and the roads make no sense. You just have to memorize them. With a little bit of logic and thought, one can pretty much find their way anywhere in Omaha.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:47 PM

906 posts, read 1,532,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
With a little bit of logic and thought, one can pretty much find their way anywhere in Omaha.
For you or for someone who has grown up in Omaha that may be true, but an open minded visiter from a city of nearly the same size said otherwise. In fact, they went as far as to say the roadways were AWFUL in all caps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha