U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-26-2011, 06:33 AM
 
1,054 posts, read 1,827,632 times
Reputation: 699

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
But thats just it, they are not larger. The op said up to 8000, which both Gretna and Waterloo meet. If anything Waterloo would be too small as it's well under the 1200 ideal population listed, but given the lack of a minimum it's worth mentioning. That's why I picked these two towns out from the rest because they are far enough away from Omaha to not be considered attached, and meet the population requirement by a good amount. All the rest are essentially part of omaha, or in the case of Council Bluffs too large.

Also they did not give a minimum commute but a "30-40 minute max drive" , which is a direct quote. So A city within 10 minutes of Omaha would be acceptable to the poster IF it's also a small town like say Waterloo is. Given the cost of driving a car I would assume the poster would appreciate living closer to the city and save some money that could be used elsewhere. Not to mention the additional wear on the vehicle living further out would cause. All things that have to be looked at when deciding how far out to live.
Gretna is attached by continuous development and Waterloo is going to the next Elkhorn during this decade. Both are very bad options and would not recommend to somebody that wants to live in an independant city that remains under 8,000.

Anybody could see that right now the city limits of Waterloo are under a 1,000 and Gretna is only 4,500. Yet, like Omaha and its larger suburbs, Gretna has a swarm of suburban development that is not counted toward its population and actually connects it to Omaha which makes Gretna seem like a larger community full of transient people.

Waterloo is similar, but only a decade behind gretna as it lies less than a mile from Omaha's westernmost development area right now. How long do you think this will last? Probably not very long at all considering Omaha's rapid growth and all the new suburban areas popping up all around the city recently.

This is why I stated the other cities are a much better option with his criteria. Even Bennington would be a stretch, but at least this community is a few decades from becoming anything but a small city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-26-2011, 07:39 AM
 
816 posts, read 1,414,171 times
Reputation: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
Gretna is attached by continuous development and Waterloo is going to the next Elkhorn during this decade. Both are very bad options and would not recommend to somebody that wants to live in an independant city that remains under 8,000.
But who would want to live in a stagnant city? If a city is not growing it is in danger of dying, especially small towns. Honestly you're not going to find a city close to omaha that will remain under 8,000 over the next 10-20 years, not unless you want to live WAY out. The city and everything within 50 miles is growing and growing fast. In just 10 years the Omaha metro has gained anywhere between 100,000 and 200,000 people depending on the source you use and this growth is forecast to hold strong with a foretasted 130,000 new residents in just Douglass county alone in the next ~20 years.

And continuous development? It's almost nothing but cornfields out there with the occasional small housing cluster every mile to half mile, check the latest satellite photos from just a few months ago. Continuous development is what connects Elkhorn to omaha and Gretna is clearly not connected like that at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2011, 08:43 AM
 
1 posts, read 5,462 times
Reputation: 13
Fort Calhoun is 25 minutes from downtown Omaha. Small community with a great small school system. No lakes nearby, however, Boyer Chutes NWR is 3 miles east and is good for fishing, hiking and canoeing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2011, 09:11 AM
Mmx Mmx started this thread
 
5 posts, read 17,557 times
Reputation: 14
Thanks ..I'll be researching some of the towns mentioned. Right now his commute is 65 miles one way so actually anything better than that would be nice. He would be working for the UP railroad...and I have no idea where that is located in Omaha, just know it's there

I really appreciate all your feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2011, 09:15 AM
Mmx Mmx started this thread
 
5 posts, read 17,557 times
Reputation: 14
Oh one more thing, waverly...I know it's closer to Lincoln than Omaha, but does anyone know how that commute would be? I was told they have good schools as well..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2011, 03:32 PM
 
1,054 posts, read 1,827,632 times
Reputation: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
But who would want to live in a stagnant city? If a city is not growing it is in danger of dying, especially small towns. Honestly you're not going to find a city close to omaha that will remain under 8,000 over the next 10-20 years, not unless you want to live WAY out. The city and everything within 50 miles is growing and growing fast. In just 10 years the Omaha metro has gained anywhere between 100,000 and 200,000 people depending on the source you use and this growth is forecast to hold strong with a foretasted 130,000 new residents in just Douglass county alone in the next ~20 years.

And continuous development? It's almost nothing but cornfields out there with the occasional small housing cluster every mile to half mile, check the latest satellite photos from just a few months ago. Continuous development is what connects Elkhorn to omaha and Gretna is clearly not connected like that at all.
It is cornfields right along 204th st, but there is development about 2/3rds of a mile east of the highway.

That said, I would not want to live in a stagnant community at all. Mmx wants to live in a smaller community and that usually means a community that isn't exploding in growth. It usually means a community that is consistant with the same ol faces and maybe a little growth at best.

Gretna and Waterloo are great little cities that are going to be very prominent in the metro area in the future, but do not fit his criteria as a small town type of community. Springfield, Ashland, probably Yutan (although Omaha is beginning to knock on its door) are all small communities that have that real authentic small city feel that he would get out in western Nebraska. 95% of the houses in and around Gretna (a lot of what makes Gretna is not in the current city limits) are new in the last 10-15 years and will only grow faster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2011, 06:52 PM
 
20 posts, read 41,093 times
Reputation: 15
I would vote Blair. It has rated schools. 25 min to Omaha. Very safe community. There is one very nice subdivision outside of town with lakefront lots. I am not a realtor but I happen to have one of those lots for sale. We live in Blair and are deciding to live in town. DM me if you happen to be interested. If not no big deal, but I would still recommend Blair. Nationally rated schools when I was in there. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2011, 05:53 PM
 
6,122 posts, read 6,418,604 times
Reputation: 6520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
It is cornfields right along 204th st, but there is development about 2/3rds of a mile east of the highway.

That said, I would not want to live in a stagnant community at all. Mmx wants to live in a smaller community and that usually means a community that isn't exploding in growth. It usually means a community that is consistant with the same ol faces and maybe a little growth at best.

Gretna and Waterloo are great little cities that are going to be very prominent in the metro area in the future, but do not fit his criteria as a small town type of community. Springfield, Ashland, probably Yutan (although Omaha is beginning to knock on its door) are all small communities that have that real authentic small city feel that he would get out in western Nebraska. 95% of the houses in and around Gretna (a lot of what makes Gretna is not in the current city limits) are new in the last 10-15 years and will only grow faster.
I wouldn't consider Springfield to be stagnant. It has actually grown in the last 10 years. However, it will still give you the nice, separate from Omaha small town feel. I can't speak for Ashland or Yutan.

Gretna might fit the OP's criteria now, but it won't for very long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2011, 09:32 AM
 
41 posts, read 109,693 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmx View Post
Oh one more thing, waverly...I know it's closer to Lincoln than Omaha, but does anyone know how that commute would be? I was told they have good schools as well..
Waverly is practically Lincoln--I don't think it's ideal for their situation. I would have to agree that Gretna might as well be Elkhorn (which is Omaha). Very suburban, and becoming moreso. I also have friends who technically live in Bennington, but really it's just far West Omaha. Can't speak for Waterloo as I don't know enough about it. Plattsmouth is close to Bellevue (pretty much Omaha), but still quite independent from the city (at least for now). Springfield is a nice little town, though the 'burbs may be encroaching on it, too. I think Fort Calhoun and Blair are also still pretty independent from Omaha and would recommend them, though Blair is hitting your 8000 limit. I would also check out Valley and Ashland. If he's at the UP headquarters, that's in Downtown. In that case, you may want to check out some places on the other side of the river, in Iowa. Maybe Glenwood? Crescent or Underwood are even smaller than your current town, but may be worth a try.

As for lakes, there is definitely nothing even close to Big Mac out here, lol! I would check out Zorinsky Lake, Standing Bear Lake, and Wehrspann Lake (in Chalco Hills Park) in Omaha. These lakes are really meant more for fishing and just walking around. Some allow boats. Not sure if swimming is allowed/encouraged. If you want lake swimming, check out Branched Oak Lake (northwest of Lincoln--about a 1.5 hour drive from Omaha--probably the largest lake you'll find in this area) Recreation.gov recreation area details - Branched Oak Lake - Recreation.gov, Linoma Beach (about a half-hour drive, halfway b/t Lincoln and Omaha--hence the name) Linoma Beach Bar Beach, or Fremont Lakes State Recreation Area (about a 45 minute drive, northwest of Omaha) Campground Details - Fremont SRA, NE - Nebraska Game and Parks Commission.

If you want something nearly as big as Big Mac, Lewis and Clark Lake up on the border with SD is awesome--about a 3-hour drive. http://gfp.sd.gov/state-parks/direct...wis-and-clark/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top