Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 04:07 PM

32 posts, read 94,859 times

Advertisements

Im not sure if this has been discussed, so i will apologize now if im beating a dead horse.
Im curious to find out what people would think of a movie theater, particularly the closed one on L st, showing old movies such as from the 30s through the 80s maybe. No new, current movies, just oldies so people can enjoy them on the larger than life screens once again, and not just on the tv. Does that sound like something people would be interested in?
Double features, triple features, or just single movies. Doesnt have to be block buster oldies. Like Netflix for the big screen haha.
Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 11:41 PM

906 posts, read 1,803,940 times
Don't expect to make a profit if you do.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:15 AM

30 posts, read 103,027 times
Dundee shows old movies. They are in the right area for it too. Hipsters love nostalgia.

33rd and L? Not a chance. Especially with the size of the complex. Costs would be way too high.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:48 PM

16,361 posts, read 30,070,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1sspiked View Post
Im not sure if this has been discussed, so i will apologize now if im beating a dead horse.
Im curious to find out what people would think of a movie theater, particularly the closed one on L st, showing old movies such as from the 30s through the 80s maybe. No new, current movies, just oldies so people can enjoy them on the larger than life screens once again, and not just on the tv. Does that sound like something people would be interested in?
Double features, triple features, or just single movies. Doesnt have to be block buster oldies. Like Netflix for the big screen haha.
Thoughts?

I don't want to be a smart alack but not a chance.

First, there are any number of ways to get those movies very cheaply - Redbox, Video on Demand, Netflix, Cable, etc.

Second, there MIGHT be a demand for ART films in a city the size of Omaha but it is not easy to acquire the films, promote the films, and get the crowds into the theatre. I believe that there are several in Omaha .

For me, the thrill of watching the movie on a "big screen" is offset by all the hassles of watching movies in theatres - talking patrons, dirty theatres, etc.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:44 PM

4,856 posts, read 7,568,269 times
Back in 2000-01, there was a movie theatre right there somewhere that only charged $.50 cents to see a movie. Best deal in town.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:53 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,178,127 times
It might be a decent idea to make it like Westwood 8 and you pay 2 bucks for movies that aren't in the major theaters anymore, but aren't on DVD yet.

In reality though it will probably sit empty for 5 years, become condemned, get torn down and a big box store or strip mall will be built there.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:08 PM

28 posts, read 57,606 times
I assume he is referring to the already existing Stockyards theater....

Old 09-08-2011, 05:46 PM

32 posts, read 94,859 times
Thanks for the replies. I was thinking about the Stockyards area movie theater only because it is nearest to where i live, but any theater could do it, providing there was a market.
Some one mentioned art films,and that wasnt really what i meant, or even new movies unreleased in theaters. I meant more along the lines of one or two screens in any theater to show simply old movies. Old movies that may or may not be on DVD but can be shown in the theater so people get that experience of seeing an old favorite on the big screen. Like a triple feature of old Elvis movies, or Star Wards. and then not have to pay out the ying yang for the pleasure. I personally dont know what it costs to show a movie inthe theaters, or the process the owners have to go through to get the films, but adding in a mix of old with the new might just bring in movie goers who gave up on the theaters for whatever reason.
I do agree with the one post that the excitement of seeing them that way is off-set by having to deal with idiots.
I personally dont see the Stockyards theater coming back unless of course they showed movies in Spanish. Im not saying that to be disrespectful to anyone, but alot of Mexicans live in South O, and many may like to see films in the language they can understand. The crowds may come, and its certainly not likely that many other theaters in town play new releases or oldies in Spanish.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:22 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,178,127 times
Actually showing mainstream films in spanish is an amazing idea!

Old 09-24-2011, 02:12 PM

48 posts, read 74,711 times
I live 2 blocks from there, and I've always said they need to show films in Spanish, whether Hollywood dubbed, or foreign films, it's a big market that's virtually ignored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: