U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-28-2011, 02:40 PM

92 posts, read 94,906 times
Default Moved from Omaha to La Vista, car insurance goes up?

I knew car insurance went up if you moved from a small town to a big city, but the opposite?

Can anyone with any insurance insight explain this? Whats even more funny is the move was about 2 miles away (from 110th&Q to 115th&Harrison).

Why would the insurance increase if I move to a "safer" area, in a smaller town, only 2 miles away? Sounds like a scam to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 04:31 PM

795 posts, read 704,140 times
It may be "safer" from a crime point of view, but it may have a higher rate of auto accidents.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:55 PM

350 posts, read 329,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarley55 View Post
I knew car insurance went up if you moved from a small town to a big city, but the opposite?

Can anyone with any insurance insight explain this? Whats even more funny is the move was about 2 miles away (from 110th&Q to 115th&Harrison).

Why would the insurance increase if I move to a "safer" area, in a smaller town, only 2 miles away? Sounds like a scam to me.
Shop around. I switched companies for lower insurance on my pickup and ended up switching companies again when I switched back to a car because the other company had lower rates on cars. Insurance is weird but if you look at quotes from a bunch of companies and they are all higher on your move from 110th & Q to 115th & Harrison then there must be something about auto accident rates etc put into the insurance co.'s formula. I don't want to know or I don't care to know I guess if I get cheaper insurance and I look around periodically to see if I'm getting the best deal - sounds like you may need to do the same.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:54 PM

305 posts, read 350,361 times
Maybe there were more instances of property crime in that area, which would affect insurance rates. Also, 115th and Harrison is most likely in an SID, so perhaps insurance companies assume that the Sheriff would be patrolling.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:41 PM

12 posts, read 23,993 times
That sounds fishy. When we moved from Peru, Nebraska (maybe 500 people) to La Vista, our rate didn't change. And when my sons moved from La Vista to Omaha, their rate didn't change. (We use USAA, but GEICO has a comparable price.)

I would recommend doing an online check for insurance rates--I really can't think of any reason it would go up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha