U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 10:11 AM

5 posts, read 17,391 times

Advertisements

We just moved here from Pennsylvania and I need to get a new vet for our 3 cats. We are living in 168 and Giles area. I have been looking online and have even visited a few vets as well. The more searching I do the harder this decision is becoming as I'm finding more and more options. We are not in our house yet as it's still being built so I can't ask around our neighborhood.

We only have cats so I checked out The Completely Cat Clinic. Seemed ok but it is a little further for me.

I also checked out Mission Village which is 168 and Q. I really liked how they were so close for me but their prices were higher than the Cat Clinic. I stopped here twice at different times on different days and both times there were no patients there which seemed odd. I was told they have been there for 13 years though so I don't know.

Others I was looking at but haven't visited yet are Harvey Oaks, Morgan Pet Clinic, Millard Vet Clinic.

I have a 9 yr old cat with kidney issues. He needs bloodwork done twice a year and special food. He HATES going to the vet so I need a place where they are super caring and are willing to work with me and him. I also have two kittens who are still in need of some of their shots.

Important to me:
#1 cost, multiple animals and visits throughout the year add up.
#2 caring and concern of the vet drs and staff
#3 calmness of the office
#4 location
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 11:13 AM

6,486 posts, read 5,673,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lishy75 View Post
We just moved here from Pennsylvania and I need to get a new vet for our 3 cats. We are living in 168 and Giles area. I have been looking online and have even visited a few vets as well. The more searching I do the harder this decision is becoming as I'm finding more and more options. We are not in our house yet as it's still being built so I can't ask around our neighborhood.

We only have cats so I checked out The Completely Cat Clinic. Seemed ok but it is a little further for me.

I also checked out Mission Village which is 168 and Q. I really liked how they were so close for me but their prices were higher than the Cat Clinic. I stopped here twice at different times on different days and both times there were no patients there which seemed odd. I was told they have been there for 13 years though so I don't know.

Others I was looking at but haven't visited yet are Harvey Oaks, Morgan Pet Clinic, Millard Vet Clinic.

I have a 9 yr old cat with kidney issues. He needs bloodwork done twice a year and special food. He HATES going to the vet so I need a place where they are super caring and are willing to work with me and him. I also have two kittens who are still in need of some of their shots.

Important to me:
#1 cost, multiple animals and visits throughout the year add up.
#2 caring and concern of the vet drs and staff
#3 calmness of the office
#4 location
My family has been using the Ralston Vet clinic for years. My dad was an old farmer and the old vet that used to be there took care of the farm animals.

While I used to go there, I now go see Dr. Dobesh at the Mobile vet clinic simply because for basic stuff he's just a lot cheaper than most vet clinics you'll find. He does low-cost shots, tests, vaccinations. He's got an office set up at 120th and Center.

www.drdobesh.com

Old 09-29-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
My family has been using the Ralston Vet clinic for years. My dad was an old farmer and the old vet that used to be there took care of the farm animals.

While I used to go there, I now go see Dr. Dobesh at the Mobile vet clinic simply because for basic stuff he's just a lot cheaper than most vet clinics you'll find. He does low-cost shots, tests, vaccinations. He's got an office set up at 120th and Center.

www.drdobesh.com
I just sent Dr Dobesh an email asking specifics if he can work with my special needs kitty. I see that there are no appointments. How does that work? Waiting area filled with a lot of pets waiting to be seen or is he not that busy?

Thanks.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:09 PM
CCJ

55 posts, read 140,630 times
We use Harvey Oaks for our dogs and really like them. Their prices were better than what I paid in TX so I was happy.

Edited to add: I really liked that I didn't feel like they were trying to "up-sell" me on tests, products, etc. They would ask, I would say no and it was done. I've been to vets where it is high pressure sales to get you to do some additional procedures.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lishy75 View Post
I just sent Dr Dobesh an email asking specifics if he can work with my special needs kitty. I see that there are no appointments. How does that work? Waiting area filled with a lot of pets waiting to be seen or is he not that busy?

Thanks.
I've never had to wait more than about 5 minutes when I went in to see him. He might have someone in front of me, but he generally does more shots than anything else...so he doesn't spend more than a few minutes with an animal. If you're looking for a fancy office environment...he's not it. It's generally a couple of tables set up, he does what's needed and you're out the door. I don't know if it's his wife or an assistant but someone else sits at another table for you to pay. But he seems like a nice guy that cares about the animals. I've never had him try to sell me a $300 teeth cleaning for my dog like the vet that I used to go see. He also doesn't charge a flat fee just to go into the office.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:12 PM

93 posts, read 67,844 times
Dr Mike Horde at Val Verde Animal Hospital is really great.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:58 PM

6,125 posts, read 6,432,588 times
Dr. Erickson at Ralston Vet is the best. Dr. Kaliff is a close second, but she was in an accident and will be out for awhile. If I didn't live over 500 miles away, I'd still be going there!

However, I wouldn't recommend Dr. Jernigan at Ralston.

Walnut Creek Vet Clinic is pretty good, too. I had to take a dog I was sitting for there. It's a smaller, quieter clinic. It's at 96th & Highway 370.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:32 AM

41 posts, read 109,774 times
Quote:
My family has been using the Ralston Vet clinic for years.
I am a vet myself (Omaha is my hometown, but I'm now in Des Moines). I have always heard great things about Ralston Vet (from clients, not from other vets, so I don't know how they are thought of within the profession).

Quote:
He might have someone in front of me, but he generally does more shots than anything else...so he doesn't spend more than a few minutes with an animal
To me this is a downside. He is probably not being as thorough as he should/could be.

Quote:
I've never had him try to sell me a $300 teeth cleaning for my dog like the vet that I used to go see.
Again, this is not necessarily a good thing. Maybe your dog NEEDS a dental cleaning. Contrary to popular belief, the vast majority of vets are not trying to "sell" you something you don't need, and do not recommend things just to make a buck. Dental health is an important part of your dog's overall condition.

I'm not saying people shouldn't go to a "cheap" vet, just that you should know that often you get what you pay for (though there are certainly exceptions--inexpensive vets who do great work, and expensive vets that are sub-par).

Old 10-03-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schues View Post
I am a vet myself (Omaha is my hometown, but I'm now in Des Moines). I have always heard great things about Ralston Vet (from clients, not from other vets, so I don't know how they are thought of within the profession).

To me this is a downside. He is probably not being as thorough as he should/could be.

Again, this is not necessarily a good thing. Maybe your dog NEEDS a dental cleaning. Contrary to popular belief, the vast majority of vets are not trying to "sell" you something you don't need, and do not recommend things just to make a buck. Dental health is an important part of your dog's overall condition.

I'm not saying people shouldn't go to a "cheap" vet, just that you should know that often you get what you pay for (though there are certainly exceptions--inexpensive vets who do great work, and expensive vets that are sub-par).
I get what you're saying...but my dog is a dog. If all she needs is a rabies/distemper shot, I don't care if she gets a full exam. I don't care to spend more money cleaning her teeth than I spend on my own teeth in a given year. I love my dogs very much...but that's just the way it is.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:21 PM

Well, thank you for the replies. I visited a few more vets in the area and it was a tough decision. I have an appt scheduled with Harvey Oaks and we'll see how it goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or